Looking for bag/backpack recommendations

the_marsbar

07 Jun 2018, 19:48

I have an Arc'Teryx Blade 24 backpack which is starting to show its age. The main compartment zipper is broken, and it's a matter of time before it will empty itself with no warning. I like the bag, but I wouldn't mind if it was a little bigger. I can fit a laptop, a folder with documents, an HHKB bag with keyboard and laptop charger, tools for repairing my bike, and other small things. I can fit my headphones too, but then it's really tight.

I am looking for something similar, but not necessarily Arc'Teryx again (unless I can't find anything better). I guess these are my criteria:
- Has a nice compartment for a laptop with a 15" screen.
- Medium sized. My current Blade is 24 liters, and while I wouldn't mind something a bit bigger, I also don't want to carry my entire home with me.
- Black, and looks somewhat neutral.

What bags are you using?

Thanks.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

07 Jun 2018, 20:20

I am partial to Swiss Gear backpacks, had several over the years and they just keep going forever. Only reason I got rid of my last one is because of getting gum stuck to the inside. Swiss Gear looks professional and are very comfortable too.

Lately I've been using a military MOLLE backpack (I did ROTC for a few years so I also have ranks/insignia) which is comfortable and you can also customize it to exactly the way you want it (I used to have a Med Kit on one side with drink holder on the other, now I have two drink holders).

codemonkeymike

07 Jun 2018, 21:15

I own the Osprey Farpoint 40 and love it. I took it with me on my first trip to europe and was great for 2 weeks worth of stuff (maybe a bit too large). I am a tall and fairly strong guy so it was no issue for me to lug it around. They sell smaller ones as well if 40L is too large.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/fa ... PNT40.html

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Jun 2018, 03:05

Short answer is I use a backpack that I found in a dumpster after all the college kids got out for the summer and throw all there stuff in dumpster.

Longer answer is that I did a bit of backpack research recently in search of a carry-on travel backpack. Some amazing stuff out there these days. From what I have found, these are the ones that have caught my eye:

-Tortuga travel backpacks, I like the Outbreaker 35L best, Setout and Homebase are nice as well.
-Aer packs, Travel Pack and Flight Pack are probably best for what you are looking for.
-Showers Pass Transit and Utility backpacks.

Now all of those will run over $100 and $200 for the top travel packs. So budget wise, they are not the best choice. I can't recommend much for a small budget. Also, make sure to check out this guy's backpack reviews, he is hilarious:

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Jun 2018, 03:41

Oh, and this dude has a nice little bag website: http://bagworks.co/

chuckdee

08 Jun 2018, 04:45

vivalarevolución wrote: -Tortuga travel backpacks, I like the Outbreaker 35L best, Setout and Homebase are nice as well.
-Aer packs, Travel Pack and Flight Pack are probably best for what you are looking for.
-Showers Pass Transit and Utility backpacks.

I have the Aer Day Sling, and it's really nice. Getting the Tech Sling soon I hope. If you do go for the Day Pack or Tech Pack, they're on sale today for 15% off with the code WORK15. Short notice, but it was a one day sale... good until 11:59 PM PST.

Findecanor

09 Jan 2020, 03:58

Edit: I'm sorry I did not see that this was a necro. New user posting their first post to a necro threads are usually spam-bots, so they do look suspicious.

My post:
I use a relatively large shoulder bag of some generic brand, with laptop/paper compartment. I think that works better than a back-pack in a crowded city, and especially on public transport. I can carry it on the front or push it to the back with my elbow. I don't have to inconvenience people I can't see behind me and every pocket is easily accessible without having to wring out of it.

The one thing I like the most is that it has a horizontal strap near the bottom with a detachable hook. When I go biking, I detach it and hook it to a D-ring on a loop on the main strap (across my front), so it stays put on the back almost like a back-pack.
Last edited by Findecanor on 09 Jan 2020, 05:35, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off-topic”