IBM Model M2... worth restoring?

Tha_Pig

08 Jun 2018, 18:49

I found this. What do you guys think? Worth restoring? Or should I sell it for parts?
keyboard1.jpg
keyboard1.jpg (275.31 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
keyboard2.jpg
keyboard2.jpg (259.29 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
keyboard5.jpg
keyboard5.jpg (173.66 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
keyboard4.jpg
keyboard4.jpg (134.71 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
keyboard3.jpg
keyboard3.jpg (225.44 KiB) Viewed 2612 times

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

08 Jun 2018, 19:00

I like the M2 and would restore it myself, but with two major caveats. One, the capacitor almost certainly needs to be replaced as they are notoriously bad. Secondly, rebuilding the keyboard after disassembly is probably the most annoying thing you will ever do in your life.

Darkshado

08 Jun 2018, 19:12

Unfortunately, the missing caps are going to be a problem because they have unique profiles (yes, plural) different from the other model M and F boards.

If you can find them, or combine this unit with another donor to get one functional board, I say it's worth trying.

As Blaise says, test the capacitors and replace as required, also be ready to deal with a broken plastic tab or two.

j0d1

08 Jun 2018, 19:25

If you do restore it, PM me what you need exactly as I have a donor board.
Free of charge, of course, only pay the shipping (should be around 8 - 10$).

Tha_Pig

09 Jun 2018, 15:56

Blaise170 wrote: I like the M2 and would restore it myself, but with two major caveats. One, the capacitor almost certainly needs to be replaced as they are notoriously bad. Secondly, rebuilding the keyboard after disassembly is probably the most annoying thing you will ever do in your life.
I love dismantling things and putting them back.
But I don't really know about the capacitors, aren't those the ones that make time travel possible? :lol:

Tha_Pig

09 Jun 2018, 15:58

Darkshado wrote: Unfortunately, the missing caps are going to be a problem because they have unique profiles (yes, plural) different from the other model M and F boards.

If you can find them, or combine this unit with another donor to get one functional board, I say it's worth trying.

As Blaise says, test the capacitors and replace as required, also be ready to deal with a broken plastic tab or two.
I found someone who is selling spare keys for it on Ebay. But I'm having my doubts about restoring it. Maybe I should give it in adoption to a good home?

Tha_Pig

09 Jun 2018, 16:00

j0d1 wrote: If you do restore it, PM me what you need exactly as I have a donor board.
Free of charge, of course, only pay the shipping (should be around 8 - 10$).
Since you have the means to fix it and most probably are better informed on these matters... Would you like to have it?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

09 Jun 2018, 17:39

Capacitors are electrical devices that hold temporary stores of power and are used whenever the usual supply of power is too low.

Tha_Pig

10 Jun 2018, 05:54

Blaise170 wrote: Capacitors are electrical devices that hold temporary stores of power and are used whenever the usual supply of power is too low.
Yeah, but can they hold... 1.21 Jigawatts?

j0d1

10 Jun 2018, 13:06

Tha_Pig wrote: Since you have the means to fix it and most probably are better informed on these matters... Would you like to have it?
Thank you for the offer but I already have one.

Return to “Keyboards”