Signature Plastics new molds for thicker PBT SA keycaps

codemonkeymike

20 Jun 2018, 23:36

Last edited by codemonkeymike on 20 Jun 2018, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

Myoth

20 Jun 2018, 23:38

I don't think those are supposed to be thicker, but rather made for dye sublimation as they're made of PBT

scottc

20 Jun 2018, 23:39

Interesting! I wonder how this affects the feel.

Shame they want to charge $15.30 shipping to Europe for the $2 kit or I'd already have bought one.

codemonkeymike

20 Jun 2018, 23:40

Sample packs contain 7 random blank keys for those wanting to see and feel the new thick SA-P PBT blank keys before purchasing keysets. See "What's New" for more information on the SA-P program.
From the product page

I for one am psyched

scottc

20 Jun 2018, 23:42

Myoth wrote: I don't think those are supposed to be thicker, but rather made for dye sublimation as they're made of PBT
Also see the previous announcement about SA-P on that page:
This new SA-P tooling has thick, uniform walls i.e.no first shot void to fill, and is designed for PBT shrink.
It seems to imply that it's thicker than the doubleshot ABS SA, or at least more uniform. Can't say for sure though.

zslane

21 Jun 2018, 01:15

If you look at the inside of their first run of PBT SA keycaps, ala Ice Cap and Industrial, the thickness was the same as their ABS keycaps for the bottom half of the shell, but the inner-most half was twice as thick, as if there was another "shot" of plastic molded in there, just like you'd see in their double-shot ABS keycaps. The photograph of the samples looks to me like the new PBT tooling produces keycaps of single uniform thickness that is thicker than ABS keycap shells alone, but not as thick as the combined thickness of both shots (shell + legend).

codemonkeymike

21 Jun 2018, 01:40

zslane wrote: If you look at the inside of their first run of PBT SA keycaps, ala Ice Cap and Industrial, the thickness was the same as their ABS keycaps for the bottom half of the shell, but the inner-most half was twice as thick, as if there was another "shot" of plastic molded in there, just like you'd see in their double-shot ABS keycaps. The photograph of the samples looks to me like the new PBT tooling produces keycaps of single uniform thickness that is thicker than ABS keycap shells alone, but not as thick as the combined thickness of both shots (shell + legend).
I don't think that is the case. Not only do the new SA look thicker, the old ABS ones are the same width both double shot and single shot.
Attachments
IMG_20180620_193941.jpg
IMG_20180620_193941.jpg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 6180 times

zslane

21 Jun 2018, 03:23

I believe we are agreeing/saying the exact same thing.

equalunique

29 Jun 2018, 20:26

Myoth wrote: I don't think those are supposed to be thicker, but rather made for dye sublimation as they're made of PBT
Surprise! Actually they are what I would call thicker than the existing ABS keycaps. I took some measurements: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... and_thicc/

zslane

29 Jun 2018, 20:53

The best part is that these will have fully sculptured row profiles!

Elrick

02 Jul 2018, 04:08

zslane wrote: The best part is that these will have fully sculptured row profiles!
Interesting, suspect they are trying to play catch up to our insatiable lust for old style keyboards and that inevitably includes, Dye-sub - thick key-caps.

Hope they progress further because this may indeed be a Great Idea from SP instead of supplying the boring DSA atrocity and that other (no one wants) profile ;) .

Elrick

02 Jul 2018, 04:11

codemonkeymike wrote: Not only do the new SA look thicker, the old ABS ones are the same width both double shot and single shot.
Could anyone please specify, WHICH new SA profile is being shown here on DeskThority :?:

Sangdrax

02 Jul 2018, 17:05

They call this new thing SA-P. I bought a sample pack just to get a row 1 key to replace a missing one on an old keyboard of mine. We'll see how it matches up with the real stuff from 1981.

Return to “News”