Post the ugliest keyboards you've seen!

vometia
irritant

29 Jun 2018, 19:35

depletedvespene wrote: Sadly, I know a couple women who'd happily use it. And another woman who'd happily use the other one :shock:
The other one still had a certain something-or-other. Though even if it existed I'm not sure I'd have the nerve; not even to annoy my gf. Which sort of proves that either it's quite questionable or that I'm a wimp.

fohat
Elder Messenger

29 Jun 2018, 21:42

I would not use the G-Point mouse because it would probably not be very efficient, but if it actually existed and was not absurdly expensive I might buy one, as a "conversation piece" and because I really do think it is beautiful.

And to Elrick's point, no, I would probably keep it stored out of sight.

Drclick

30 Jun 2018, 10:43

cherry.cn sucks

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

30 Jun 2018, 11:02

Those custom dyesub Cherry boards could be really cool if you chose a tasteful design. Though tasteful these are not.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

30 Jun 2018, 14:49

NGL that camo one would look pretty sick with og WoB caps

derzemel

30 Jun 2018, 17:13

mike52787 wrote: NGL that camo one would look pretty sick with og WoB caps
or with Dolch keycaps (like this Filco Camo):

Spoiler:
naahh... still ugly :evilgeek:

Dingster

30 Jun 2018, 17:18

derzemel wrote:
or with Dolch keycaps (like this Filco Camo):

Spoiler:
Idk put on an actual escape key and some arrows and it would look pretty slick :D

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

30 Jun 2018, 17:20

derzemel wrote:
To each is own man, looks fuckin sweet to me

depletedvespene

30 Jun 2018, 19:22

Drclick wrote: Image
Heck, I thought my XXK keyboard was hostile — clearly I had it the wrong way around...

SwissArmyTin

01 Jul 2018, 22:10

Not the ugliest board I've ever seen, but here's a cheapy Chinese clone board I recently picked up for $15:

The backlighting makes it infinitely worse though
Spoiler:

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

03 Jul 2018, 15:21

This reminds me of something you’d find on an alien spacecraft; where it resembles something human but everything is just a bit foreign.

depletedvespene

03 Jul 2018, 15:26

Were it not for the woodgrain, I'd discard this a warped picture and not give it a second thought.

Dat Backspace... not to mention the other absurdly enlarged keys (and I can't figure out a comfortable way of actually using the center Enter key — wide enough but not tall enough; would have it been better if the center Backspace+Enter had been split vertically instead?).

davkol

03 Jul 2018, 17:33

You can press that Enter just like the B key on a regular keyboard, that's not a big deal, but I don't like how they've made some distant keys absurdly large (although it makes sense in a way: less precision, when moving a longer distance outside the focus area) and insisted on keeping the layout _somewhat_ similar to the standard… Truly Ergonomic or Atreus layout might be _too_ intimidating though.

AMongoose

03 Jul 2018, 17:42

snacksthecat wrote:
Spoiler:
This reminds me of something you’d find on an alien spacecraft; where it resembles something human but everything is just a bit foreign.
That's an amazing 4th generation ergonomic layout mate.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

04 Jul 2018, 02:37

I can't find anything redeeming about this one.

SwissArmyTin

04 Jul 2018, 02:41

livingspeedbump wrote:
Spoiler:
What the...are those legends hand-written or something? Jeezums

codemonkeymike

04 Jul 2018, 02:45

Must have ordered a bunch of custom shit from WASD, those caps are complete shit.

depletedvespene

04 Jul 2018, 03:18

livingspeedbump wrote: I can't find anything redeeming about this one.
It's... it's a TKL, so there's no numpad brutalized here.

Myoth

04 Jul 2018, 03:30

livingspeedbump wrote: Image

it's got the only right layout ;)

Haaaaaandrew

04 Jul 2018, 03:48

My hhkb at one point. I've come a long way since then :D Image

AMongoose

04 Jul 2018, 12:39

livingspeedbump wrote:
Spoiler:
It's ISO

vometia
irritant

04 Jul 2018, 16:11

livingspeedbump wrote: I can't find anything redeeming about this one.
It has personality; it's not beige; it has a proper return key...

Admittedly it's dressed like that guy from Aerosmith but y'know.

depletedvespene

04 Jul 2018, 16:17

It's ugly, yet fully functional. A perfect fit for this thread, then. :mrgreen:

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

04 Jul 2018, 16:19

depletedvespene wrote: functional

well, almost

depletedvespene

04 Jul 2018, 16:25

Did I say "fully functional"? I take that back. I just realized that the Pause key has a SWORD sticking out.

Also, "weird" is misspelled twice. ಠ_ಠ

eekee

05 Jul 2018, 12:50

vometia wrote: So yeah. All those gaudy keyboards out there. Their contribution to good taste may be subjective, but at least they aren't beige.
+1,000,000. In my teenage years, it seemed everyone with any amount of responsibility and sense -- anyone worth looking up to at all -- hated color and nice shapes as if they came from the Devil! I even heard of one guy who, on having to spend time at home due to illness, made his wife remove the flowers and other nice things from their home! It was also that no-options phase Japanese car manufacturers went through. The Nissan Micra looked nice in blue over silver, but when it looks like every fifth car on the road is one of them... and most of the rest are depressingly dark or extremely muted... I'm not even... :(

Then, well, it was the 90s. I had little money for the entire decade, and I still lived in ENGLAND. There were brief flashes of color at the beginning of the decade and a handful of other times, but because it was ENGLAND, they didn't sell. By the time anything got to a price I could afford, "you can have any color you like so long as it's [beige!]"

In 2000, I managed to pick up a couple of cases with a bit of color on them, but I didn't get a keyboard that wasn't BEIGE until after 2005. I didn't want to get a cheap one, and I guess I'd more than half-way given up. Oh... even then, it was one of only a few which wasn't beige or greige from that seller, and all those 'few' were black, if I remember right. Strange, because their site was yellow, with grey borders. There may have been one exception which was too far the other way. It was also the first non-full-size keyboard I'd ever seen at a bearable price, but I effectively paid extra in the form of RSI! (Not to mention the seriously rattly keys, the right control key only working with some operating systems, or the loose bit of metal inside! :shock: This in the most expensive keyboard I had bought!)

Aaanyway, this thread's a good laugh! It's fascinating for various reasons, ranging from the obvious, "What were they THINKING?" to one or two posts which leave me thinking, "What was the poster thinking, that's gorgeous!" :lol: For me, this is the ultimate example of taste difference:
digital_matthew wrote: This looks like how bile tastes...
My reaction? "OM NOM NOM ORANGE LIME CANDY!" :lol:

eekee

05 Jul 2018, 13:43

I don't often double-post and I obviously don't often complain about bright colors, but this Amazon find just caught me the wrong way:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UrChoiceLtd%C2 ... 3NJDBQSAG3

fohat
Elder Messenger

05 Jul 2018, 14:05

I like beige, it is the proper color for a computer. I also like square shapes, domed tops on boxes that you can't stack papers on are a waste of space.

depletedvespene

05 Jul 2018, 14:30

Card readers on the keyboard? Done. Pen holders? Done. Phone holders? Done. A lighter holder is most definitely a new concept... although it begs the obvious question: where is the cigarette holder?

(don't get me started on the ash tray — I still get mad at the memories of that)

AMongoose

05 Jul 2018, 14:30

eekee wrote: I don't often double-post and I obviously don't often complain about bright colors, but this Amazon find just caught me the wrong way:
The lighter holder is a nice touch that has been missing in a lot of high end kustoms.

Return to “Keyboards”