GeekHack Refugee Camp?

JP!

03 Jul 2018, 23:00

So in light of the recent events and rumors regarding the sale of GeekHack I can't help but wonder if we will see a large influx of new members. What do you guys think? Should we build a wall or welcome them with open arms? :lol:

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Jul 2018, 23:11

JP! wrote: I can't help but wonder if we will see a large influx of new members
How many on geekhack are really upset, or are, relative to the masses, only a couple making a noise? Probably this isn't an issue until a new owner would fuck it up. Of course if there would be an influx we would assimilate them. The bad thing is that would drive beamspring prices up even further.

JP!

03 Jul 2018, 23:18

webwit wrote:
JP! wrote: I can't help but wonder if we will see a large influx of new members
How many on geekhack are really upset, or are, relative to the masses, only a couple making a noise? Probably this isn't an issue until a new owner would fuck it up. Of course if there would be an influx we would assimilate them. The bad thing is that would drive b********* prices up even further.
You just had to bring up the B word :roll:
Last edited by JP! on 04 Jul 2018, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

03 Jul 2018, 23:19

Can‘t we distribute the GH refugees evenly among the keyboard communities?
I don‘t think it‘s fair for Deskthority to shoulder all the tp4tissues and other chit chats.

They also frown upon thread necro which is very welcome here! The cultural differences ... I bet most of them don‘t even pray to webwit ...

JP!

03 Jul 2018, 23:24

There is Reddit and a number of different channels on Discord but those are not proper forum platforms. I wonder if someone will start a GeekHack2 domain.

The heathens must be initiated :evilgeek:

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Jul 2018, 23:33

It may be worth an effort for someone to win the geekhack/reddit demographic with shiny new software. But in my time seeing many new attempts to kick start a new community, almost all failed because they don't realize what it takes. What it doesn't take is this:

Step 1: Throw semi finished shiny new software and philosophy over the wall
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Large active community!

They usually wait for the magic to happen in step 2, for others to make it happen, while step 2 is the most work except for the really lucky. iMav was lucky. Me and sixty weren't, we put in the work. Nor was ripster, for all his failings, he understood and put in the effort.

So if you're going to do this... it's all about step 2 and don't be lazy about it.

oldcat

03 Jul 2018, 23:51

coming

JP!

03 Jul 2018, 23:58

oldcat wrote: coming
Welcome :D

Myoth

04 Jul 2018, 00:10

don't worry GHers, we won't seperate you from your keyboards upon coming here :lol:

blighty

04 Jul 2018, 00:16

I think when I was in buy/sell mode a few years ago, I posted stuff to GH more often because I didn't feel guilty about saying (CONUS). Custom declarations are such a pain in the ass. Actually, sale threads are a pain in the ass regardless, that's probably why I have boards and caps in bags and boxes, taking up what little space I have in my NYC apartment.

Also, if iMav held out for $40k, mayhap our supreme overlord webwit will hold out for a $50k payment next year, post-exodus.... LOL

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Jul 2018, 00:19

Nah I'll keep this as my place to talk shit without getting moderated or banned. :twisted:

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

04 Jul 2018, 02:32

Wodan wrote: Can‘t we distribute the GH refugees evenly among the keyboard communities?
I don‘t think it‘s fair for Deskthority to shoulder all the tp4tissues and other chit chats.
Well someone's gotta take TP and someone's gotta take microsoft windows :lol:

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

04 Jul 2018, 02:37

chuckdee

04 Jul 2018, 02:52

livingspeedbump wrote:
Wodan wrote: Can‘t we distribute the GH refugees evenly among the keyboard communities?
I nominate Reddit. :twisted:

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

04 Jul 2018, 03:32

chuckdee wrote:
livingspeedbump wrote:
I nominate Reddit. :twisted:
Or hand both to Discord, both would be rather forgettable and even some of the better contributors from what little I've seen :lol:

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

04 Jul 2018, 03:33

snacksthecat wrote: Image
hahahaha, this couldn't be said in a better way.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

04 Jul 2018, 03:45

To be fair, it seems as though Zeal is kind of going against his word as well - saying he would keep the other company name confidential and that he wouldn't leak any information. At this point, integrity is out the window on both fronts.

FrostyToast

04 Jul 2018, 05:53

Posting the conversation publicly was definitely not a good thing.
Some degree of trust should be had, even between those who may or may not dislike each other, in order to maintain a certain degree of order.

However, everyone would figure out what was up when they realised that Zeal, who offered to pay the asking price, never actually got the site.
I think any business courtesy was thrown out the window when a bidding war was started when several messages stated that the deal was supposed to be closed.

I get that iMav really did need the money and the figure given was a huge deal, however, don't expect any business courtesy if you can't give it in the first place. If he stated that it was an auction from the start or that his asking price was $40k, or if he didn't make it sound like the deal was closed, then that's fine because it's upfront, but that didn't happen.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

04 Jul 2018, 08:22

webwit wrote: Nah I'll keep this as my place to talk shit without getting moderated or banned. :twisted:
I sincerely believe that's worth more than 50k to you :lol:

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

04 Jul 2018, 08:46

I'll just leave this here...

andrewjoy

04 Jul 2018, 08:52

JP! wrote: So in light of the recent events and rumors regarding the sale of GeekHack I can't help but wonder if we will see a large influx of new members. What do you guys think? Should we build a wall or welcome them with open arms? :lol:

BUILD THE WALL, BUILD HE WALL, BUILD THE WALL.

Nah anyone is welcome, artisan scalpers and flipping for 1000s are not :p

blighty

04 Jul 2018, 19:36

So, Massdrop x geekhack. Could be worse.

JBert

04 Jul 2018, 20:03

JP! wrote: There is Reddit and a number of different channels on Discord but those are not proper forum platforms. I wonder if someone will start a GeekHack2 domain.

Somebody on Reddit /MK was claiming that they own geekhack.eu. What could possibly go wrong? :mrgreen:

depletedvespene

04 Jul 2018, 20:26

geekhack.ew

Dingster

04 Jul 2018, 20:29

mmm cant wait for the "Artisan" subforum

depletedvespene

04 Jul 2018, 20:35

Let's kill it preemptively by creating it with the name "F'artisan".

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

04 Jul 2018, 20:40

This is now an artisan keycap thread.

JBert

04 Jul 2018, 20:43

So apparently MassDrop bought the lot, I guess we won't need to prepare the camping area just yet.

Also see other-news-f47/geekhack-sold-to-zealpc-t19338.html

JP!

04 Jul 2018, 22:25

JBert wrote:
JP! wrote: There is Reddit and a number of different channels on Discord but those are not proper forum platforms. I wonder if someone will start a GeekHack2 domain.

Somebody on Reddit /MK was claiming that they own geekhack.eu. What could possibly go wrong? :mrgreen:
"This sounds good i guess there is no need for Geekhack.EU anymore ;)"

Findecanor

04 Jul 2018, 22:49

blighty wrote: So, Massdrop x geekhack. Could be worse.
'x' stands for 'fucks', right?

Return to “Off-topic”