GeekHack Refugee Camp?

JP!

05 Jul 2018, 02:43

Findecanor wrote:
blighty wrote: So, Massdrop x geekhack. Could be worse.
'x' stands for 'fucks', right?
Yes but they will at least talk sweetly and use some lube ;)

green-squid

05 Jul 2018, 12:09

I doubt there will be any influx at this point, a few dense members leaving, but not much at the moment.
I hope to be more active there in the future.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

05 Jul 2018, 15:33

Well if Massdrop does indeed keep to their word, it seems a far better outcome than I was expecting. Massdrop needs Geekhack, as a large portion of the group buys are now ran through MD (i.e. $$$$). If MD screws with GH, then you will see a lot of people who will refuse to continue using MD.

andrewjoy

05 Jul 2018, 15:39

So massdrop then ?

MD fucking everything up in 3 .... 2 ..... 1

fireglow

06 Jul 2018, 03:34

I've just gotten an email to an address registered with input.club, advocating a new website/forum they've created called "Keebtalk":
Why, when we already have deskthority ;)

JP!

06 Jul 2018, 03:49

fireglow wrote: I've just gotten an email to an address registered with input.club, advocating a new website/forum they've created called "Keebtalk":
Why, when we already have deskthority ;)
No need to leave Deskthority :)

I guess this is Keebtalk currently?
https://keyboards.discoursehosting.net/

chuckdee

06 Jul 2018, 03:56

The one ironic thing is that though they say community driven it was created including a keyboard company. >.>

Sorry, I guess I wasn't supposed to notice that...

depletedvespene

06 Jul 2018, 03:57

Corporate community, my friend... corporate community.

blighty

06 Jul 2018, 03:59

Any usage of the term "keeb" makes me die a little inside. I used to think people who use that term should "fuck off back to reddit." Now I guess they have more than one option. LOL

Also, isn't Lekashman ex-Massdrop?

JP!

06 Jul 2018, 04:08

Now this is turning into a pissing contest between Input Club and Mass Drop.

depletedvespene

06 Jul 2018, 04:10

JP! wrote: Now this is turning into a pissing contest between Input Club and Mass Drop.
Well, colour me surprised. I wonder whyyyyy I:C would have it in against MassDrop...

JP!

06 Jul 2018, 04:14

depletedvespene wrote:
JP! wrote: Now this is turning into a pissing contest between Input Club and Mass Drop.
Well, colour me surprised. I wonder whyyyyy I:C would have it in against MassDrop...
Just a friendly little disagreement :lol:

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

06 Jul 2018, 04:34

JP! wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
Just a friendly little disagreement :lol:
What's the story behind this?

JP!

06 Jul 2018, 04:37

Not sure if this is the real Ripster
no.jpg
no.jpg (50.85 KiB) Viewed 6681 times

JP!

06 Jul 2018, 04:39

Findecanor

06 Jul 2018, 04:57

"Mobile-friendly" often means "desktop-hostile". Too bad that that applies to keebtalk as well.

chuckdee

06 Jul 2018, 06:33

depletedvespene wrote: Corporate community, my friend... corporate community.
That's a fear... not necessarily the reality.

Bass

06 Jul 2018, 07:46

green-squid wrote: I doubt there will be any influx at this point, a few dense members leaving, but not much at the moment.
I agree. It's not difficult to figure out why after reading through some recent posts on r/mk, the simple fact of the matter is that most people in the mechanical keyboard community at large think DT is almost exclusively catered towards vintage keyboard discussion. Although this is certainly by far the best place on the internet that I know of in this regard (and the reason I personally came here), I don't think that's an entirely fair assessment. Although perhaps not as vocal, there are plenty of people here who focus more on the modern side of things including customs.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Jul 2018, 07:57

Keebtalk looks more like methadone for Redditors

And it‘s largely vendor-run, having Norbauer and I:C behind it. So pretty much the Zealhack.org we‘ve been joking about, only from I:C/Norbauer.

The failure to really run DT as a community, turning it into a half-voluntary one-man-show just shows how very little community is really left and how everything is taken over by commercial interests. Lets all pay that edgy asshole webwit some respect for „keeping it real“.

green-squid

06 Jul 2018, 09:30

Wodan wrote: Keebtalk looks more like methadone for Redditors

And it‘s largely vendor-run, having Norbauer and I:C behind it. So pretty much the Zealhack.org we‘ve been joking about, only from I:C/Norbauer.

The failure to really run DT as a community, turning it into a half-voluntary one-man-show just shows how very little community is really left and how everything is taken over by commercial interests. Lets all pay that edgy asshole webwit some respect for „keeping it real“.
Too true, wodan. I don't want Deskthority to ever die! And I feel like the whole 'keyboard community' that's characterised by small metal-housed keyboards and expensive GMK sets and artisans is not really my thing (I do like small keyboards though). And things just can't be discussed in lenght, thanks to reddit's efficient but fast paced system. And I almost never see deskthority discussed at all outside of DT itself (only DTA annually).

I feel like Keebtalk will just create more division in the community, and I dread that, because Keyboards are one of the friendliest hobbies around.

Sorry for the lack of coherency with the topic in this comment.

andrewjoy

06 Jul 2018, 11:44

The fact that everyone is like " we need a geekhack alternative" and then create some shitty site is just sad.

We have had a GH alternative for years its a little site called deskthority.

The fact that much of the so called keyboard community does not even acknowledge its existence speaks volumes about the community as a whole.

fohat
Elder Messenger

06 Jul 2018, 13:31

blighty wrote:
Any usage of the term "keeb" makes me die a little inside.
I have hopes that GH will continue on - with little change - for the foreseeable future.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Jul 2018, 15:02

The problem isn't that people don't acknowledge DT, it's that people have completely incorrect perceptions about the site. Any time I mention DT on GH, I almost always get "But DT is only vintage stuff" or "It's just cranky Europeans" or "I hate how slow the content is".

While I agree that Deskthority is probably the foremost... authority... on vintage keyboards, it's certainly not the only thing here. I see plenty of modern stuff, people just don't want to look. The site also hosts stuff that I don't often see on GH, such as vintage computing.

I really don't know how DT became the "cranky Euro-site" but it's really not so bad. Sure there are a few grouches (looking at you kbdfr ;) ) but once you get past the grouchy exterior, people are really quite nice and knowledgeable here.

And on the site being slow - well, DT wouldn't seem so slow if there were hundreds of interest checks and group buys occurring here at any given time. Remove the IC/GB sections from Geekhack and it would drastically decrease the pacing there too. I think some people just have such small attention spans that they need new content constantly barraging their minds, a consequence of the way Reddit works.

depletedvespene

06 Jul 2018, 15:15

Blaise170 wrote: I really don't know how DT became the "cranky Euro-site" but it's really not so bad.
Of course not. There's at least one cranky South American around here as well. :mrgreen:

andrewjoy

06 Jul 2018, 15:28

Blaise170 wrote:
I really don't know how DT became the "cranky Euro-site" but it's really not so bad. Sure there are a few grouches (looking at you kbdfr ;) ) but once you get past the grouchy exterior, people are really quite nice and knowledgeable here.
I like the slight grouchy undertones. Makes me feel at home :).

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Jul 2018, 15:52

I just did an experiment to prove my point - of the last 100 threads which I have not read (which is pretty much every post since I have only read a few), only 39 of them are discussion threads as opposed to approximately 55 IC/GB threads and a scattered few market (WTB/WTS/Vendor) threads. So... My point stands.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Jul 2018, 16:07

The forum is what the people who post here make it to be. In the beginning it was all "cutting edge" Cherry stuff and sixty group buys and I was mostly alone in my IBM love... But if people don't post certain stuff because there is little talk about it, or don't post when the Europeans sleep because it's slow, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Maybe it would work better if we had some subforum promotors. E.g. if a couple of people would take it upon them to pick some top stories from around the net each day and post them in News, it would help. We also lack one or two Muiriums who keep discussions going.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Jul 2018, 16:09

I post rather a lot I think. But my experiment was for Geekhack in case that wasn't clear in my analysis.

savantstrike

06 Jul 2018, 16:17

webwit wrote:The forum is what the people who post here make it to be. In the beginning it was all "cutting edge" Cherry stuff and sixty group buys and I was mostly alone in my IBM love... But if people don't post certain stuff because there is little talk about it, or don't post when the Europeans sleep because it's slow, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Maybe it would work better if we had some subforum promotors. E.g. if a couple of people would take it upon them to pick some top stories from around the net each day and post them in News, it would help. We also lack one or two Muiriums who keep discussions going.
As far as news goes, I think it might be hard to find input device related news every day. Are we talking only input device news, or other general computing, science and technology news?

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Jul 2018, 16:27

We're talking keyboard related news. Talk about mice and other input devices has always been slow, perhaps we should finally forget about that and merge into Off topic...
The News sections was just an example though.

Return to “Off-topic”