Two Cherry G80 POS keyboards

zrrion

07 Aug 2018, 04:10

Just posting a few pics of my cherry boards. One G80-11900LTMUS and one G80-8113LRDUS-2 both NIB. The Picked them up off of ebay for relatively cheap. They are my first Cherry boards and I must say that even though they are not the smoothest switches I have ever used they aren't as bad as I have heard from some. I do think that the blacks are nice, if a bit heavy while the browns are a little light for my tastes. The small flip out feet on the back are too short to make a meaningful difference IMO and I wish they were twice as tall at least (I like steep boards apparently)

The 8113 has MX browns and a large black coiled cable as well as a touch pad and a card reader. It has several reledgendable caps as well as software to program the keys. It also has some nice hardware side key programming that I quite like as it is easy to set up and stays with the board. The iso enter is nice but not as nice as a bigass enter would be. Full N key rollover is a big plus though.
My biggest issue with this board besides the super tiny feet would have to be that the switch used on the space bar is almost twice as heavy as the browns that the rest of the board has so it feels super out of place. This board also appears to have a single MX clear in it. I don't know if this is intentional of if it is by mistake but I like the feel of the clear much more than the browns. The clear would make a much better space bar switch than the grey IMO.

The 11900 has MX black and is a smaller board. I much prefer the colour cherry logo on this board to the grey one on the 8113. Blacks are nice but a little boring for my tastes. They do sound nice and have fairly thick lasered pbt caps which I am sure contribute to the sound a fair bit. No programmable keys or card reader on this board but you do get the older (and better) windows logo on the single unit windows keys as well as a better layout. I don't exactly like the single unit keys flanking the space bar but the arrow keys are in a more comfortable place than the 8113. The trackpad is in a decent enough place as well although I will admit that I don't use the track pad all that much so I can't exactly comment on the placement of it other than it isn't in the way of anything.

Eventually I'll either move the browns over to the 11900 and put the one clear under the space bar or I'll deck the whole thing out in clears. I haven't decided. I also kinda want to know how browns feel with black springs in them so I'll probably give that a try. I'm still a little baffled that I have the one clear up in the corner, but it is nice that its there as I get to try another switch.

mmm

19 Nov 2022, 13:25

(lil' necro)
Thanks for sharing this. Recently got my hand on the black one myself. Can confirm that the oddly placed MX Clear is also like that on my board.

A note about the caps. Even though that these are also POM (as far as I can tell), the legends have A LOT of texture, making the caps overall feel much less smooth than the blank POM caps from Das Keyboard II.

Return to “Gallery”