Typing Demo XL: beamspring (IBM 5251)

Chyros

09 Aug 2018, 11:42

This is part of a new series I'm thinking of starting. It's like the typing demos at the end of my reviews, but much longer. Hope you guys enjoy, I really like how well this recording turned out :) .

zslane

09 Aug 2018, 20:58

ASMR indeed.

Now that's a clicky switch sound I can get behind!

digital_matthew

10 Aug 2018, 00:36

You really captured the sound and spirit of the 5251. More plz! :)

darkcruix

10 Aug 2018, 07:42

Can't wait for the next one without solenoid ... Love those typing only clips.

btw, can you say a few words about how you configured the layout? Especially the keys which do not really exist anymore on modern setups (! ¢).

Elrick

10 Aug 2018, 08:51

Chyros wrote: This is part of a new series I'm thinking of starting. It's like the typing demos at the end of my reviews, but much longer. Hope you guys enjoy, I really like how well this recording turned out :) .
Geez it sounds almost like our old Telex machines during the mid to late 80's because they worked at the end of the hall in a sound protected room, yet the ground echoed with their printing.

Very nice sound, takes me back right there along with some of David Bowie's hits and my Mullet styled hair cut.

You never fail to impress us with your latest display of ancient hardware, pity no one is making them anymore because this type of keyboard is the KING of all Input Devices, when it comes to Sound and Feedback.

The side vision you showed here is how a REAL keyboard should look like, BIG and Beefy with no excuses. This is a keyboard profile worth copying because it looks like some decent wedge of Greatness, which no other keyboard can display.

The Model Fs and Ms look positively anorexic and don't even talk about the limpy and weak Cherry junk that was produced.

Thank you for doing this.

vometia
irritant

12 Aug 2018, 07:10

Nice. Though I'm curious about the solenoid: I'm sure the twinax-connected keyboards I used 30 years ago had a much more insistent "clunk" sound to them, though I may be misremembering after all these years...

zslane

12 Aug 2018, 17:52

I think the solenoid was turned off (or not working)?

Sangdrax

12 Aug 2018, 18:11

The solenoid is working. You can hear the clunk. It's just a little muffled by all that zinc. They all sound different based on the case and even varies by solenoid. Thomas has talked about similar stuff pretty often when comparing same switch sounds in different board chassis.

Like this was built in almost the exact same dimensions as that 5251 but has a thick plastic case with vents and a lot more open space to really bounce the sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EdbFDnH5dg

Mr. J

15 Aug 2018, 16:42

Sounds like a machine gun ;)

Chyros

15 Aug 2018, 18:47

zslane wrote: I think the solenoid was turned off (or not working)?
Haha you should compare it to the other video where it's off, it's quite prominent actually ;) .

Return to “Keyboards”