F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Mattr567

14 Aug 2018, 09:55

If I didn't order any keys, would the dyesub delay my order at all?

Ellipse

23 Aug 2018, 23:40

Nope, the non-key orders are not going out earlier. It makes testing even faster as I do not have to remove the installed keys after testing.

As a reminder everyone is getting the XT quality keys from the brand new one piece molds. Anyone can still be upgraded if they did not order keys with their keyboard (you save $20 or so from ordering the key set as an extra set).

darkcruix

24 Aug 2018, 15:32

Are there any samples of the dye sub process available, yet?
(Sorry for being excited and asking over and over again)

listofoptions

29 Aug 2018, 02:21

Since I last posted I now own 2 XT, an AT, two 5291 bigfoot (surfboards imho), a 3278 83 button, an f122, a pingmaster, and a 5251, and a half dozen model m terminal boards (wts). And those are just my IBM boards (not too many of anything else). I cannot express my thankfulness to you enough ellipse !

Ellipse

29 Aug 2018, 02:35

Great Model F collection listofoptions! We all have to spread the word about the great Model F keyboards so they are not lost to history.

We've reached $599,000 in orders so far!

I am glad that so many people have ordered the extra parts which will keep these keyboards running smoothly long after production ends. Even if you don't end up needing them it's good that they are out there in case someone else in the community needs them. So far 3,000+ extra individual flippers+springs, 1,700+ barrels, and 275 First Aid Kits have been ordered along with 1,300+ F62/F77 keyboards.

Speaking of 3278's, on a sad note someone told me their company shred a few hundred beamspring keyboards many decades ago but he was able to save just one of them. This was well before xwhatsit's controller that made usage over USB possible.

darkcruix sorry no additional updates yet. Production on the final two keyboard parts continues this month. The dye sub supplier is not yet finished with the key samples. I will definitely post updates as soon as I have them - do not worry!

Elrick

29 Aug 2018, 02:51

Ellipse wrote: Speaking of 3278's, on a sad note someone told me their company shred a few hundred beamspring keyboards many decades ago but he was able to save just one of them. This was well before xwhatsit's controller that made usage over USB possible.
What insanity have befallen onto companies to destroy such valuable hardware.

These companies deserve to go into bankruptcy just so to teach them never to do such moronic things ever again (which almost still never works).

Imagine if someone had a TARDIS, the wonderful things you would do with it. Like save these Beamsprings from certain destruction so they may live on and contribute to society ;) .

depletedvespene

29 Aug 2018, 02:53

Serious yet somewhat outlandish question here: could you sell blank keycaps in batches of, say, ten?

depletedvespene

29 Aug 2018, 02:54

Elrick wrote: Imagine if someone had a TARDIS, the wonderful things you would do with it. Like save these Beamsprings from certain destruction so they may live on and contribute to society ;) .
Damn, I was too busy ridding the world of Admiral von Heinmeyer to think of that at the moment. Talk about a lost opportunity... :(

Bass

29 Aug 2018, 03:04

depletedvespene wrote:
Elrick wrote: Imagine if someone had a TARDIS, the wonderful things you would do with it. Like save these Beamsprings from certain destruction so they may live on and contribute to society ;) .
Damn, I was too busy ridding the world of Admiral von Heinmeyer to think of that at the moment. Talk about a lost opportunity... :(
That's nothing compared to this:

vendors-f52/i-am-going-to-scream-t9171.html

depletedvespene

29 Aug 2018, 03:06

Thanks for the nightmare, d00d.

Ellipse

29 Aug 2018, 03:11

Depleted the extra keys are all discounted to $4 each individually for one or more in quantity (to help cover all the cost overruns including many DHL Express shipments over two years to get these keys the perfect color and functionality). You can also buy a set of 104 blank keys for $47.

JP!

29 Aug 2018, 03:16

Bass wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
That's nothing compared to this:

vendors-f52/i-am-going-to-scream-t9171.html
Too soon :cry:

Hypersphere

01 Sep 2018, 00:22

Ellipse wrote: Nope, the non-key orders are not going out earlier. It makes testing even faster as I do not have to remove the installed keys after testing.

As a reminder everyone is getting the XT quality keys from the brand new one piece molds. Anyone can still be upgraded if they did not order keys with their keyboard (you save $20 or so from ordering the key set as an extra set).
Hi Ellipse,

Work has kept me away from DT for months. I am finally checking in today.

Any update on the ETA for the F62/F77s?

-- Hypersphere

Ellipse

01 Sep 2018, 01:34

Sure, feel free to check out the ModelFKeyboards.com blog for the recent production updates.

In summary the final two keyboard parts (keys and springs) were approved and entered production this month. Assembly also started this month with the springs and flippers.

Ellipse

01 Sep 2018, 03:16

I just posted an update on the blog today:

Today we reached the $600,000 mark for Brand New Model F Keyboard orders!

Thanks to everyone for their patience with the factory on the journey towards brand new Model F keyboards made to IBM’s standards.

As noted in the prior update, assembly started this month with the 1,000 production springs/flippers and the final two remaining parts were approved and entered production earlier this month (200,000 keys and 199,000 springs). They are still working on producing those springs and keys. The other keyboard parts all finished production a while back and are awaiting assembly. The Carolina Blue ultra compact cases came out a darker shade of blue than specified, so I have ordered additional units to be made with Carolina Blue – if anyone wants the darker blue cases that look great (see photo below) please message me. A few Carolina Blue cases have not yet sold out in case anyone’s interested.

The 200,000 key production is moving along nicely and should be finished in the coming weeks. Below is a photo of one box of completed 1U keys. After that is done is the dye sub.
2018-08-31 production keys - Copy.jpg
2018-08-31 production keys - Copy.jpg (499.98 KiB) Viewed 10351 times
20180815_095731.jpg
20180815_095731.jpg (271.55 KiB) Viewed 10282 times
Last edited by Ellipse on 01 Sep 2018, 03:27, edited 2 times in total.

depletedvespene

01 Sep 2018, 03:25

Ellipse wrote: …… if anyone wants the darker blue cases that look great (see photo below) please message me.
Uuuhhh... what picture? I only see one, with the keycaps.

Ellipse

01 Sep 2018, 03:27

updated, thanks

darkcruix

01 Sep 2018, 10:01

Ellipse, what you have accomplished so far, is mind blowing. Running this actually as a one-man-show in your spare time is exceptional. I really enjoy that you let us be part of the journey.

Takashi

02 Sep 2018, 14:21

I too wanted to say that I'm really impressed on the dedication that Ellipse has in this project. Really looking forward to my keyboard!

Hypersphere

02 Sep 2018, 19:50

Ellipse,

Thanks for the updates.

As others have noted, your extraordinary diligence and professionalism are beyond exemplary and highly appreciated!

Ellipse

11 Sep 2018, 04:07

Thanks for the kind words!

The 200,000 keys are expected to finish later this week. The 199,000 remaining springs finished production and are being packaged for transport to the factory doing the assembly.
Last edited by Ellipse on 11 Sep 2018, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.

FXT
XT

11 Sep 2018, 04:42

It's always the last stretch that feels the longest. Looking forward to my F77!
Last edited by FXT on 11 Sep 2018, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.

Ellipse

11 Sep 2018, 05:00

I will be at the Washington DC meetup on Saturday 9/15 and the NJ meetup Sat. 9/22 if anyone wants to try out the new Model F keyboards.

darkcruix

11 Sep 2018, 09:50

Ellipse wrote: Thanks for the kind words!

The 200,000 keys are expected to finish later this week. The 199,000 remaining springs finished production and are being packaged for transport to the factory doing the assembly.

WOW - that was a quick turnaround. Glad there was no issue in production

Chalba

11 Sep 2018, 21:59

You gotta show us the industrial blue keys when they're done! =)

Elrick

12 Sep 2018, 05:40

FXT wrote: It's always the last stretch that feels the longest. Looking forward to my F77!
WE all are.

Just hoping this will be the Clickiest Keyboard made this year.

It has to move the Earth's fault lines when it plugs into any PC and typed on for 12 hours straight ;) .

Shihatsu

12 Sep 2018, 09:10

Na, I am not. The wait was too long, overhyped product... Will give away mine for free when it is arriving...

LOL Betcha! CANT. WAIT. But take all the time needed, Ellipse. It looks more and more worth the wait, and it was from the beginning on.

darkcruix

12 Sep 2018, 09:28

Shihatsu wrote: ....
LOL Betcha! CANT. WAIT. But take all the time needed, Ellipse. It looks more and more worth the wait, and it was from the beginning on.
You got me :) Looking forward to later in the year. My restoration projects likely will be just finished, when the New Model Fs will arrive.

Ellipse

15 Sep 2018, 02:32

Video of me typing for the first time on a Model F in 1990:

The first keyboard I typed on was a Model F, attached to an IBM PC 5150 or 5160.

The video camera happened to be rolling!

Also below are photos of the completed springs. It is interesting that 5,000 springs can be packed in one bag!
2018 09 Springs finished (1) - Copy.jpg
2018 09 Springs finished (1) - Copy.jpg (83.86 KiB) Viewed 9028 times
2018 09 Springs finished (2) - Copy.jpg
2018 09 Springs finished (2) - Copy.jpg (148.71 KiB) Viewed 9028 times

enrique.aliaga

15 Sep 2018, 02:44

How old are you, Ellipse? Around 30, I would estimate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Group buys”