MT3 Doubleshot

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Aug 2018, 11:52

So I'm toying with some ideas for a double-shot version of the MT3 profile. /dev/tty round 2 was a pretty huge success and you know I prefer dye-sub to doubleshot, but I would like to try some dark themed color scheme. So here we go.
base.png
base.png (170.91 KiB) Viewed 9683 times
I'm also experimenting with fonts, I must say I like Barlow quite a bit. Maybe I need to work on that Q, but it's not a deal breaker.

Suggestions welcomed as always.

Muirium
µ

29 Aug 2018, 11:57

You might want to show some ISO love…

Barlow is a funny one. Love the J. But that Q, nope.

Myoth

29 Aug 2018, 11:57

Fonts ? has comic sans been suggested already ? if not, try comic sans out :mrgreen:

jokes aside, doubleshot allow for a lot more interesting colours choices, so I would obviously be down for such a thing.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Aug 2018, 12:12

this is just the "base kit", more will come. Still playing with colors and fonts. The only thing I don't like much is the Q, but I can fix it.

Shihatsu

29 Aug 2018, 12:20

Can you do it without the shithole otherwise abbreviated as MD? Can you maybe even go with an european vendor as a proxy? There has been some movement lately... One can only hope!

Myoth

29 Aug 2018, 12:22

Shihatsu wrote: Can you do it without the shithole otherwise abbreviated as MD?
why the hate ? I still don't understand that hate wagon, because I don't see as many problem as people make it seem like there is.

Shihatsu

29 Aug 2018, 12:27

Well, basically because they are nowadays a monopolist. Deeper into the shithole comes the accquisition of GH, their own QA (or should I say the non existence of the same), the communication disaster around the Q70 (albeit this is also GMKs failure, too), the whole carbon GB, Umlauts with MT1, and these are just the things from the past 6-12 months...

Muirium
µ

29 Aug 2018, 12:31

I’m not a MassDrop fan. No account so I can’t even browse their site. I’m not a hater so much as I just don’t like their inflexibility. Do they even alter customs declarations for users in Europe, for instance? The one time I made that mistake (with Signature Plastics PMK store) I learned the hard way! Not worth it without a proxy.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Aug 2018, 12:37

Shihatsu wrote: Can you do it without the shithole otherwise abbreviated as MD? Can you maybe even go with an european vendor as a proxy? There has been some movement lately... One can only hope!
oh please find me those EU European realities willing to invest in the molds for an entire double-shot set!

Shihatsu

29 Aug 2018, 12:39

They are non-existant. I thought a producer is available - my bad.

hansichen

29 Aug 2018, 12:42

Muirium wrote: I’m not a MassDrop fan. No account so I can’t even browse their site. I’m not a hater so much as I just don’t like their inflexibility. Do they even alter customs declarations for users in Europe, for instance? The one time I made that mistake (with Signature Plastics PMK store) I learned the hard way! Not worth it without a proxy.
Not sure why a company should assist you doing tax fraud.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Aug 2018, 12:48

they could simply find a proxy in Europe like most kickstarters do lately

hansichen

29 Aug 2018, 12:49

Shihatsu wrote: Well, basically because they are nowadays a monopolist. Deeper into the shithole comes the accquisition of GH, their own QA (or should I say the non existence of the same), the communication disaster around the Q70 (albeit this is also GMKs failure, too), the whole carbon GB, Umlauts with MT1, and these are just the things from the past 6-12 months...
I don't know a single mistake that massdrop did over ages that wasn't solved by them. Delays happen but massdrop always offers refunds, not like keyclack, originative or other vendors which tried to get onto the market. Sometimes it's just out of their hand and communication is not always easy when you work with multiple companies, just look at GMK's problems with suppliers. Currently there is no vendor which comes even close to massdrop.
And what were the options on the geekhack sale? zealpc or other small vendors which may need the influence of the community to sell more stuff and get more income? Massdrop is big enough to not make a lot of money with keyboard sales and also smart enough to know, that smaller gbs on geekhack are a part of the community which is needed. They are by far the best option to buy a big community.

hansichen

29 Aug 2018, 12:53

matt3o wrote: they could simply find a proxy in Europe like most kickstarters do lately
Sure, you could do that, but the advantage would be fairly small in most cases. You still have the ~20% taxes, you have additional storage, worker, lawyer fees, you have fairly high shipping costs within Europe (eg https://mykeyboard.eu/shipping/ https://www.candykeys.com/shipping-options/ ). Eg shipping a keyset from the US to europe is 17$, shipping to many EU countries is 12€ by these shops, that's nearly the same. Keep in mind the Customer Protection laws in Europe which grant you 14 day returns, a company like massdrop would have many risks and expenses to expand to Europe just to have the benefit that you don't pay custom handling fees.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Aug 2018, 12:58

that would be true considering zero revenue increment by handling things directly in Europe, but I refuse that premise.

Muirium
µ

29 Aug 2018, 12:59

My importing complaint isn’t so much the 20% tax—taxes are taxes—but the additional processing fees we are hit with here in (ugh) Britain. Bloody ridiculous. So much cheaper to pay VAT to Germany than to pay it to our own Ministry of Silly Walks. That’s why proxies win so badly here. I’m not paying an extra £100++ for a keyset purely for technical incompetence.

Meanwhile, everything in the mail from China is indeed a total fraud. And they do nothing…

hansichen

29 Aug 2018, 13:07

We have a postage fee of like 6-7€ now too, and afaik the postage fee is around 8-9 pounds in the UK, that's not too bad. I'd expect that the additional costs of a EU distribution center by massdrop would be similar, you just have the luxus that you pay everything in advance.

And regarding the China stuff: UK is the main tax fraud country, blame your government. For years all expensive packages went through the UK cause tax officers are blind there. I wonder how big the impact of the Brexit will be on the logistics services in the UK. There are first steps taken against that tax fraud, eg in Sweden you have to pay taxes on everything now and there are plans to do that in Germany and other countries too. Everything below 150€ would go to the customs office unless it's a big vendor which has special customs declerations or something like that. Definetly not a bad thing for our local economy, but Proxy services will get more important then.

Laser
emacs -nw

29 Aug 2018, 13:42

PBT or ABS?

I ask because I know doubleshot PBT exists (I'm typing on blue-grey Leopold ones, English-Hangul no less). I wanted to like my SA ABS sets, but I can't get used to their "non-slippery" feeling (as opposed to PBT).

Wodan
ISO Advocate

29 Aug 2018, 13:44

I think matt3o once claimed he can poop better legends than the PBT doubleshots on the market today

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Aug 2018, 13:55

I'm not sure yet, depends on the manufacturer, it would likely be ABS with PBT spacebar possibly

Muirium
µ

29 Aug 2018, 15:09

@Hanischen: I agree with you re: the British government. I voted for Scotland to leave this miserable remnant of a country back in 2014 and Brexit has only made the case more urgent.

off-topic-f10/scottish-independence-t8652.html

I once got charged a hundred quid for processing on something I bought from Hong Kong. The seller had over declared it, and customs bought themselves an office party at my expense. Bastards. Then there was the time I was charged £12 for TWO caps!

I don’t really care all that much who I’m being taxed by. But it must be fair and bloody clear. This ain’t that.

@Laser: I’m with you on material. I’m all done with ABS. (Well, unless it’s IBM tripleshots!) PBT feels so much nicer, and spares me the worry of it turning bad with time. Matteo implies something similar in the OP. There’s a time and a place for ABS, and perhaps you, like me, have simply had our full!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Aug 2018, 16:51

dark ABS is usually fine, especially if you get a PBT spacebar (ie: no yellowing on the keys and no shine on the spacebar)

Myoth

29 Aug 2018, 17:58

Shihatsu wrote: Well, basically because they are nowadays a monopolist. Deeper into the shithole comes the accquisition of GH, their own QA (or should I say the non existence of the same), the communication disaster around the Q70 (albeit this is also GMKs failure, too), the whole carbon GB, Umlauts with MT1, and these are just the things from the past 6-12 months...
yet people don't complain when it goes well, and group buys are prone to have fuck ups but okay, I won't stop the band wagon, I just think it's a huge circlejerk and that we should thank massdrop for bringing many things to life :roll:

zslane

29 Aug 2018, 19:06

I really like the proposed Dolchy colorway, though I'd prefer to see plain white legends. I suggest moving the Froot Loops color legends into novelty kits.

consolation

29 Aug 2018, 23:21

I'd be keen for another set... IMHO, if you are going to go doubleshot, go for a light on dark design - since you can't do that with dyesub. Have you looked at what the tty triumph looks like on a black background? Some of the rich ABS blacks are quite stunning and would complement it nicely, I think.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

30 Aug 2018, 00:22

consolation wrote: I'd be keen for another set... IMHO, if you are going to go doubleshot, go for a light on dark design - since you can't do that with dyesub. Have you looked at what the tty triumph looks like on a black background? Some of the rich ABS blacks are quite stunning and would complement it nicely, I think.
Actually, it's completely possible to do light on dark dye sublimation and it has been done already. It's a bit more expensive because it's inverse dyeing but same concept.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Aug 2018, 16:54

These are the preliminary kits. Not sure about ergodox yet.
base.png
base.png (209.34 KiB) Viewed 9354 times
numpad.png
numpad.png (51.44 KiB) Viewed 9354 times
ortholinear.png
ortholinear.png (110.14 KiB) Viewed 9354 times
colemak-dvorak.png
colemak-dvorak.png (66.15 KiB) Viewed 9354 times
iso.png
iso.png (30.58 KiB) Viewed 9354 times
extras.png
extras.png (77.29 KiB) Viewed 9354 times
monotone.png
monotone.png (72.43 KiB) Viewed 9354 times

Muirium
µ

31 Aug 2018, 17:52

The ortholinear kit looks tempting, given the ragtag selection I have for my Access IS. Might I suggest icon mods for the Monotone kit? As is, it’s just the dullard set.

What do MT3 caps look like in real life by the way? They’re from my away time.

zslane

31 Aug 2018, 18:48

They look like a cross between beamspring keycaps and Topre Hi-Pro keycaps:
dev_tty_norbatouch.jpg
dev_tty_norbatouch.jpg (384.57 KiB) Viewed 9317 times
I love this new double-shot set, especially now that I see there would be a Monotone modifiers set. Take my money, pls!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Aug 2018, 20:10

lovely keyboard zslane!

the icon mods for the monotone would be a good idea but remember this is double shot, we have to limit the number of legends.

PS: lengthy introduction to MT3 https://matt3o.com/about-mt3-profile-and-devtty-set/

Return to “Workshop”