We should make a full-size keyboard kit.

LessthanZero

30 Aug 2018, 13:09

I'm building a sun type, well its a modified Sun type. I would like to see more PCB variety for sure that way I wouldn't need to design my own as much. But I get why the market is all 60 percent and smaller, people sell what's popular and the smaller boards are hot right now. The battleship will have its day again, one day.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

30 Aug 2018, 18:39

Seems like it's time to revive the fleXMIT layout.

keyboards-f2/chinese-usb-hall-effect-ke ... ml#p336107

t8c

30 Aug 2018, 20:03

XMIT wrote: Seems like it's time to revive the fleXMIT layout.

Stunning! Perfect for data entry and terminal emulation.

abrahamstechnology

31 Aug 2018, 20:42

XMIT wrote: Seems like it's time to revive the fleXMIT layout.

Nice!

abrahamstechnology

31 Aug 2018, 20:46

LessthanZero wrote: I'm building a sun type, well its a modified Sun type. I would like to see more PCB variety for sure that way I wouldn't need to design my own as much. But I get why the market is all 60 percent and smaller, people sell what's popular and the smaller boards are hot right now. The battleship will have its day again, one day.
Yeah. First it was edgy "gamer" keyboards, now small keyboards, hopefully the next trend is fullsize yet non-tacky keyboards. Like during the golden age of mechs in the 80s-90s.

depletedvespene

31 Aug 2018, 22:14

abrahamstechnology wrote:
LessthanZero wrote: I'm building a sun type, well its a modified Sun type. I would like to see more PCB variety for sure that way I wouldn't need to design my own as much. But I get why the market is all 60 percent and smaller, people sell what's popular and the smaller boards are hot right now. The battleship will have its day again, one day.
Yeah. First it was edgy "gamer" keyboards, now small keyboards, hopefully the next trend is fullsize yet non-tacky keyboards. Like during the golden age of mechs in the 80s-90s.
Oh, I got some ideas for full-size and fullER-size keyboards. :mrgreen:

abrahamstechnology

31 Aug 2018, 23:04

depletedvespene wrote:
Oh, I got some ideas for full-size and fullER-size keyboards. :mrgreen:
Nice! What do you have in mind?

depletedvespene

31 Aug 2018, 23:26

depletedvespene wrote: Oh, I got some ideas for full-size and fullER-size keyboards. :mrgreen:
Nice! What do you have in mind?
Oh, plenty of stuff. :mrgreen:

But besides (or in between) the wacky ideas, I got some that may (or may not) be good. The one I'm rumiating now is to make a "modernized" battleship layout, but with an expanded, multipurpose numpad and the nav cluster moved to the left side. The main concept is to have plenty of keys but on a keyboard that isn't much wider than a TKL on the right side, so the mouse will still be close enough for a comfortable operation.

(and the expanded numpad would be able to address some of the shortcomings I perceive it to have)

Return to “Workshop”