I quit looking for a better mouse since ....

J888www

13 Feb 2011, 13:54

I have minimal preferences/requirements, within the Week, I may be using a Logitech M310 (Blue), Razer DeathAdder (Decepticon), MS Standard Wireless Optical, Logitech M505 (Grey) and ThinkPad Pointing stick, on different Systems. I'm happy to use them all. Generally, I like a simple 3 button mouse, so if I have more buttons, I just deactivate what I consider superfluous for my usage. Having binned my SteelSeries Kinzu (tracking issues) and Limited Edition Boomslang (flakey rubber casing), I still have, for spares, Logitceh M518, Logitech M310 (Aces), Razer DeathAdder (BumbleBee), all NIB as I don't have any valid reason to make use of my whimsy purchases.

Just saw itlnstln's MS Natural Mouse 6k and am now tempted, even though my RSI/CTS have healed/vanished, I can still remember the pain in my paw and would not relish the symptoms to reoccur.

Moogle Stiltzkin

17 Feb 2011, 06:37

I haven't used the G9 before mrinterface.

I'm more of a fan of the mx518 mouse design.

They made a G5, and later a G500, both based on the MX518 but with an improved design :mrgreen: You should give the G500 a try which i'm using. Easy to keep clean and very comfortable.

What i also liked about the G500 was the fast scroller. You can alternate between slow and fast scrolling :mrgreen:

Mrinterface

17 Feb 2011, 08:19

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:I haven't used the G9 before mrinterface.
Welcome Moogle! :-)

Moogle Stiltzkin

17 Feb 2011, 12:16

Thx :mrgreen:

turbocharged

18 Feb 2011, 04:50

Had a G9x for about a year, but my pink started to hurt after long gaming sessions. I sold it and got a Mionix Naos 5000...3 months strong and problem solved. G9x was a great mouse and I feel the Naos 5000 performs just as well (same laser if I recall)...it just feels better in my hand.

Lamaboi

19 Feb 2011, 18:08

Have a Logitech G500 which obviously has the same sensor as the G9x, Avago ADNS-9500.
Build/quality wise it's a step up to to the good ol' optical MX518. The rough plastic on the sides feels alot better then the rubber coating of the MX518, same goes for the top mat plastic portion which is an ease for my sweaty hands compared to the shiny plastic finish on some mice.
The first major gripe I have with this mouse is the scroll wheel. While the fluid speed scrolling switch(MX Performance style) is quite handy for browsing long document sheets and websites, it's just too loose on most out of box models and makes a soft rattling sound - people who will use this mouse in office specific applications probably won't notice it but most gamers will, and that's a bad thing, especially you consider that this mouse supposed to be a gaming accessoire. That's unfortunately a construction flaw of the wheel tilting mechanism which imho is obsolete, at least for me since I haven't used that particular function at all, neither in games nor in desktop environment.
The second major gripe is the sensor, or laser sensors in general. Accuracy/feeling wise it's just not the same as an optical mouse, atleast not straight out of the box. The biggest problem for me was to find the perfect surface cause normal cloth mats didn't work correctly and produced skipping and acceleration during fast movements(except for tightly woven cloths with synthetics mixed in for better light reflection). For now I'm stuck with a Lian-Li aluminum pad which offers great tracking and accuracy... until I get a Zowie Swift mat in my hands : D

Mrinterface

19 Feb 2011, 18:22

Lamaboi wrote: The second major gripe is the sensor, or laser sensors in general. Accuracy/feeling wise it's just not the same as an optical mouse, atleast not straight out of the box. The biggest problem for me was to find the perfect surface cause normal cloth mats didn't work correctly and produced skipping and acceleration during fast movements(except for tightly woven cloths with synthetics mixed in for better light reflection). For now I'm stuck with a Lian-Li aluminum pad which offers great tracking and accuracy... until I get a Zowie Swift mat in my hands : D
Ah, the mouse mat dilemma : I now only use cloth mousepads since I found out that any other material( glass, alu, metal, plastic ... ) doesn't work well for me. The cloth absorbs moisture which is a very handy thing to have when having a fierce gaming match.

Lamaboi

19 Feb 2011, 18:35

Indeed, cloth mats are wonderful thing, especially in combination with an optical sensor. The only cloth pad I've found useful with a laser sensor was the Razer Goliathus Speed, though with higher polling rates the sensor produced alot of jittering on cloth surface. Plastic and aluminum on the other hand give fluid response on all DPI and pooling settings. I'm also thinking about trying out one of them old IceMat 2nd glass pads, saw an auction of a whole batch of untouched ones on ebay.

microsoft windows

22 Feb 2011, 23:06

This is my favorite mouse.

These Dell mice work great and never wear out. I've got so much use out of mine that the silver's worn off the buttons on some.

Minskleip

23 Feb 2011, 00:13

That mouse reminds me of school.. people sticking their fingers up their ass before touching stuff.. ew!

microsoft windows

23 Feb 2011, 00:20

That's funny. I work at a school (in the computer department of course) and that's where I got my Dell optical mice.

Minskleip

23 Feb 2011, 00:25

The college I attended had a deal with Dell. Only Dell computers. And then they ran VNC on all the computers. Nice to monitor the students. I don't mind, as long as they don't look at me ;)

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Feb 2011, 02:02

Lamaboi wrote:Indeed, cloth mats are wonderful thing, especially in combination with an optical sensor. The only cloth pad I've found useful with a laser sensor was the Razer Goliathus Speed, though with higher polling rates the sensor produced alot of jittering on cloth surface. Plastic and aluminum on the other hand give fluid response on all DPI and pooling settings. I'm also thinking about trying out one of them old IceMat 2nd glass pads, saw an auction of a whole batch of untouched ones on ebay.
I stopped using mouse mats since they got rid of the mouse balls and never looked back. Desk surface works fine.

microsoft windows

26 Feb 2011, 02:06

The thing about optical mice is every once in a while, there's a surface they can't track on. I've been pretty hesitant to use mouse pads at work (I work at a school) ever since one of the handicapped kids took a bite out of one a year ago. I still have to use mouse pads with the metal fold-out computer desks we got though, as the optical mice there won't track well on the painted metal surface at all. But they track great on almost all other surfaces I've found.

Minskleip

28 Feb 2011, 00:51

I use a mat to not ruin the desk and feet of the mouse.

yellowFreak

04 Mar 2011, 15:42

Razer Deathadder fits nicely into your hands!

Shazb0t

04 Mar 2011, 15:53

I considered trying a G9x since I claw grip, but I've gotten used to gaming on the Xai and I don't want to mess with that for now. Both have the same sensor, which I find is pretty accurate on hard pads. If you have a G9, I would consider upgrading to the x just for the sensor accuracy difference.

zakazak

04 Mar 2011, 16:47

razer deathadder is propably the best thing you can get. well it also depends on what kinds of shape you like but for me its the perfect shape :) the deathadder will last forever.. also pretty much the best mouse you can get for fps games. plus its not too expensive.

v193r

04 Mar 2011, 17:29

I quit looking for better mouse after my xai. And i when through alot of mice.

xshnoopy

04 Mar 2011, 18:13

Logitech mx518.

Mrinterface

04 Mar 2011, 18:23

Once I had a wireless Apple mouse -> while it worked pretty well I absolutely HATED the battery consumption. Every 2 weeks I needed to put in new batteries which made me decide to have a non wireless cheap apple mouse which works rather well with OSX.

gorb

05 Mar 2011, 00:34

Zowie EC2 is my current favorite mouse although I'd like to buy another MS Intellimouse Optical 1.1 and see if I still like it as much as I did several years ago.

I've gone through several logitech mice after the intellimouse - mx510, mx518, g5 v2, g500, alienware tactx (g9x clone). the g500 was my favorite of the bunch, but I'm more comfortable with the zowie now.

ripster

05 Mar 2011, 01:09

MsKeyboard wrote:My personal favorite "at the moment" is the Evoluent, and still working on the CST trackball. Updated to the V4, but not sure I am all that happy with the modifications, still getting used to them, but otherwise really like it.
Later.........MsKeyboard

PS....Webwit, it is great to see you again! Glad I found this forum.

Please ask Robert Rolling, director of Marketing at CST, if has trouble going uphill?

P.S. Yeah, old joke but there's no escaping me.

laden3

05 Mar 2011, 01:35

ripster wrote:Please ask Robert Rolling, director of Marketing at CST, if has trouble going uphill?
Not in Australia :roll:

TechwonV

05 Mar 2011, 01:39

steelseries kinzu vs g9 anyone?

Koeitje

05 Mar 2011, 02:21

turbocharged wrote:Had a G9x for about a year, but my pink started to hurt after long gaming sessions. I sold it and got a Mionix Naos 5000...3 months strong and problem solved. G9x was a great mouse and I feel the Naos 5000 performs just as well (same laser if I recall)...it just feels better in my hand.
Xai also has the same laser. Picked it over the G9X due to the shape. I really love the basic shape. The mouse also has pretty much no problems (only slight negative accel at 50cm+/360)

Koeitje

05 Mar 2011, 02:23

TechwonV wrote:steelseries kinzu vs g9 anyone?
G9 is old laser, not as good. G9X, G500, Xai, etc are the only decent laser mice out there.

Kinzu is really bad, it has really bad acceleration issues. It has both positive and negative acceleration. Also a very low tracking speed, which means you'll hit negative acceleration really quick. I tried it for 15min and put it away because it was so bad.

notlofty

05 Mar 2011, 19:03

I use a Logitech Anywhere mouse because my main computer is a netbook. Tiny and not ergonomic but the darkfield sensor works great on any surface ever.

Sainesk

05 Mar 2011, 20:44

I like logitech mice, they just seem to last the longest and feel great for me (although I haven't tried a deathadder yet which quite a few people seem to be recommending).

My mom has one that's 10+ years old and works perfectly, I'm not sure if I should give her one of my spare mice or see if it can take another 10 years of daily usage...

Culinia

05 Mar 2011, 23:11

I have got the Logitech G9x -- as a RMA replacement for a Logitech G5. I was surprised when they sent this as a replacement, thought I'd get a G500 max but I got imo a much better mouse.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”