MT3 Doubleshot

Shihatsu

14 Sep 2018, 09:05

No nordic set is a bummer, allthough I can understand it (extra molds). I just LOVE everything Dolch, and I would love to try MT3, but I need ISO-DE (/dev/tty was just too bright for me).

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Sep 2018, 09:33

just to be clear, this one is slightly warm dark gray, dolch is a more neutral gray

victorruiz

14 Sep 2018, 09:53

Wow this looks really good!! I love it :D

Can we expect a drop before 2019? :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Sep 2018, 10:41

the drop should start this October

victorruiz

14 Sep 2018, 10:44

matt3o wrote: the drop should start this October
Thanks Matt3o!

Vigrith

14 Sep 2018, 13:46

rubbermilitia wrote:
Oblotzky wrote:
rubbermilitia wrote: Nice, looks great on doro67
That's M65-A
Same difference
Uh oh.

Oblotzky

14 Sep 2018, 16:15

Vigrith wrote:
rubbermilitia wrote:
Oblotzky wrote:
That's M65-A
Same difference
Uh oh.

zslane

14 Sep 2018, 18:55

matt3o wrote: just to be clear, this one is slightly warm dark gray, dolch is a more neutral gray
Fine with me! I really like warm grays.

chuckdee

14 Sep 2018, 21:57

Oblotzky wrote:
Vigrith wrote:
rubbermilitia wrote: Same difference
Uh oh.
Is it sad that gif is so usable on internet forums? I keep it locked and loaded, ready to use...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Sep 2018, 15:14

Updated kits and legends! Keep the suggestions flowing!

zslane

15 Sep 2018, 18:04

I would love to see some R3 arrows. I use a Pok3r, and by default FN+IJKL are the arrow keys. I typically replace the IJKL keycaps with arrows. The R2 arrow you have is good for FN+I, but a set of three R3 arrows would be needed for FN+JKL.

This would also be useful for 60% users who use FN+WASD as arrows and like to replace the WASD keycaps with arrows.

Muirium
µ

15 Sep 2018, 18:08

I’ve a friend who has the perfect use case for the ortholinear kit. I doubt he’d ever spring for any set of caps past the £50 mark, alas. Too sensible by half!

zslane

15 Sep 2018, 22:24

When was sensible ever fun?

Oblotzky

15 Sep 2018, 23:00

I'd also like to share this render of a rounded font. It would need some work on the dual-legend keys such as the numbers row to have that look appropriate, but this was a test for the overall look/feel of it, nothing fine-tuned. Admittedly this would looks rather similar to SP SA, but personally I find it very appealing. Thoughts?

rubbermilitia

16 Sep 2018, 01:44

Oblotzky wrote: I'd also like to share this render of a rounded font. It would need some work on the dual-legend keys such as the numbers row to have that look appropriate, but this was a test for the overall look/feel of it, nothing fine-tuned. Admittedly this would looks rather similar to SP SA, but personally I find it very appealing. Thoughts?

I like this much better than the original font. But admittedly I am an SP fan.

chuckdee

02 Oct 2018, 00:25

FXT
XT

02 Oct 2018, 04:37

I think this is the set that'll make me build an MX based keyboard.

kokokoy

02 Oct 2018, 04:58

Yeah, just saw the mail as well. Damn thing will screw my year's board budget. :(

andrea-i

02 Oct 2018, 09:38

Hey matt3o! since the original inspiration for the set was the beamspring profile, why not using the chance of double shot to replicate the classic two tone dark grey with white legends?
1.jpg
1.jpg (168.02 KiB) Viewed 8081 times

zslane

02 Oct 2018, 18:50

andrea-i wrote: Hey matt3o! since the original inspiration for the set was the beamspring profile, why not using the chance of double shot to replicate the classic two tone dark grey with white legends?
Everyone who missed out on 7bit's HONEY and HONEYB keycap sets would surely appreciate getting another crack at that colorway.

pakji

03 Oct 2018, 15:12

Oblotzky wrote: I'd also like to share this render of a rounded font. It would need some work on the dual-legend keys such as the numbers row to have that look appropriate, but this was a test for the overall look/feel of it, nothing fine-tuned. Admittedly this would looks rather similar to SP SA, but personally I find it very appealing. Thoughts?

I also think round, big, and bold font like beamspring keycaps font will fit mt3 more,

zslane

03 Oct 2018, 20:28

Fonts like SP's Gorton Modified do look good on spherical keycaps, I agree, especially to convey that vintage vibe. However, I also like the use of DIN 1451 Mittelschrift on this set. It has an attractive, modern aesthetic and is very readable.

swarthy0

04 Oct 2018, 05:52

zslane wrote: Fonts like SP's Gorton Modified do look good on spherical keycaps, I agree, especially to convey that vintage vibe. However, I also like the use of DIN 1451 Mittelschrift on this set. It has an attractive, modern aesthetic and is very readable.
+1

As-is Susuwatari is an interesting sidestep from the older spherical style. I like that matt3o pushes the design language in keycaps. I also missed 7bit's HONEY and HONEYB (which I would love to use first-hand), but I'm happy to have the world move on with new designs.

Menuhin

04 Oct 2018, 12:17

I really like this set, but for many times, MassDrop does not work for me - shipping lost after 9 months wait.
Will there be an improvement or an alternative option to acquire this?

chuckdee

04 Oct 2018, 23:03

Menuhin wrote: I really like this set, but for many times, MassDrop does not work for me - shipping lost after 9 months wait.
Will there be an improvement or an alternative option to acquire this?
/r/mechmarket or you can try to get with someone to proxy it for you. Or you can try with them, and if it doesn't work out, go one of those other routes (I'm taking it that MD made it at least right?)

As matt3o stated, they paid for the molds, so it's not likely to run anywhere else.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Oct 2018, 08:32

the "round" font thing came out very often. Especially other creators/designers are willing to release their sets on MT3 and asked for a more roundy font.

As someone pointed out I like sidestepping and trying new things. We can't reiterate forever on the same concepts. I will hopefully get some doubleshot tests in the coming weeks. If the current font really doesn't work we still have time to change it, but I honestly hope that they work.

tedfs3

08 Oct 2018, 00:54

I'm just getting started in mechanical keyboards and am kind of bummed I missed V1 of these. They really remind me of the keyboards as a kid in the 70s and 80s. Really like that profile.

voodoo6k

04 Jul 2020, 17:04

Question:

Was there ever a consensus on which spacebar profile is used in MT3 doubleshot? Susuwatari has an R4 bottom row-- is the spacebar also R4, or an in-between R4/R5 profile? In other words, is it compatible with both R4 and R5 bottom rows, or would an R5 set require new spacebar molds?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Jul 2020, 19:54

we couldn't do both this time so R4 was the sane thing to do. Hopefully we'll do R5 too in the future.

EnthusiastDude

08 Jul 2020, 16:13

Pretty sure there are too many requests like that but I'd love an MT3 set based on the Symbolics 364000. It's pretty unique and probably lends itself better to injection molding than dye sublimation.
Also, if the Beamspring colorway will be done I'm in as well.

Return to “Workshop”