Televideo - The beginning of a journey. The end of my social life.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

28 Sep 2018, 03:50

So I wasn't sure if I should post this in "marketplace" or "workshop". I guess I'll make the marketplace post at a later date when I'm in a better position to do so.

Basically I got down to the last few bits and pieces of my trip to the recycling center and I had nothing to move onto next. I decided to double down and invest everything I'd made from the recycling trip into buying about 40 of my favorite keyboard from that haul.

I dont want to say that I "fell in love" with the Televideo 965(?) keyboard, but I knew that I definitely liked it. I want to fix up and convert all these keyboards and spread the joy (by selling them).

I've already converted two of these boards in the past so I should be good on that front. My biggest concern right now is that it's going to take forever to sell all these keyboards.

Oh well, here are some pictures:

[imghttps://i.imgur.com/rs0v3Kk.jpg][/img]

xxhellfirexx

28 Sep 2018, 07:00

When I first read the thread title, I thought this was an autobiography. Then when I saw the first picture, my first reaction was WTF?!?. Is your wife okay with this?

Engicoder

28 Sep 2018, 14:23

What a haul. As a space invaders enthusiast, I am happy to see these all saved. I will definitely buy a few from you, especially one of the nice link ones.

JP!

28 Sep 2018, 14:47

The Space Invaders have landed. Just send them to Engicoder ;) I'll probably be interested in one.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

30 Sep 2018, 21:37

All right!! I've finally hit a point in the hobby where I'm able to represent my keyboard ownership as a bar chart! :lol:

I took some time today to organize the boards by variety.

I'll post a little profile about each different one in a little bit.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

30 Sep 2018, 23:42

Here's some details about each of these keyboards that I could glean by taking a few apart and using some detective skills. I don't know the model numbers for these keyboards so I gave them all nicknames based on their personalities.

Below the table is a blowout of each board with what I based my assumptions on.

If you think of any other interesting factors, let me know! This is really interesting to me!
The SoldierThe PawnThe UnknownThe PatriotThe Imposter
Manufacturernmbnmbnmb(?)nmb(?)wyse
Count12 boards15 boards4 boards2 boards4 boards
Switchlinear white space invaderslinear white space invaderslinear white space invaderslinear white space invaderslinear cherry mx blacks
Variety1 eye2 small eyes2 large eyes2 small eyesvintage
Connector6p6c4p4cps26p6c4p4c
Powervoltage regulatorlabeled 5vlabeled 5vvoltage regulatorpresume 5v
Protocol (guess)something over serialsomething over serialat/xtsomething over serialwyse
The Soldier
Spoiler:
manufacturer: nmb

count: 12 boards

switch: linear white space invaders

variety: 1 eye

connector: 6p6c

power: voltage regulator

protocol: something over serial (just assuming based on the connector)
The Pawn
Spoiler:

count: 15 boards

variety: 2 small eyes

connector: 4p4c

power: labeled 5v

protocol: something over serial
The Unknown
Spoiler:

count: 4 boards

variety: 2 large eyes

connector: ps2

power: labeled 5v

protocol: at/xt
The Patriot
Spoiler:

count: 2 boards

variety: 2 small eyes

connector: 6p6c

power: voltage regulator

protocol: something over serial (based on connector)
The Imposter
Spoiler:
manufacturer: wyse

count: 4 boards

switch: linear cherry mx blacks

variety: vintage

connector: 4p4c

power: presume 5v (based on absence of voltage regulator)

protocol: wyse
Thanks for reading!!!! :lol:

stratokaster

01 Oct 2018, 00:30

That’s a funky layout!

abrahamstechnology

01 Oct 2018, 01:51

Outstanding! Good luck saving more great boards from scrap!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

04 Oct 2018, 01:57

Man, the Soldier (Televideo 725) sure does require a lot of pins.

I'd like to take this information, do a little rewiring, and see if I can get this to work with a straight forward teensy++ 2.0 drop in place of the main IC. That would keep the internals nice and neat.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

10 Oct 2018, 01:13

I'd like to think I'm getting pretty good at this and I'm really happy with how these are starting to turn out!

snot

10 Oct 2018, 02:18

Holy crap that's a clean conversion, the Teensy fits in there perfectly.

Muirium
µ

10 Oct 2018, 08:14

I would like to see how. Straight before and afters are just a tease! (Especially when they’re different boards.)

Engicoder

10 Oct 2018, 12:26

Nice job snacks! Looks great. Definitely interested in buying a patriot and imposter if you decide to sell a few.
I have been working on a teensy like variant that matches the MCS-48 (8048,8049, etc) pinout better than the Teensy++ and has a few options for providing power to the board for other functions. I will make a post about it later today.

OldIsNew

10 Oct 2018, 16:29

Nice! It is great how the Teensy fits the IC socket on these boards|

snufflecat

13 Oct 2018, 20:24

If you ever need a buyer and the price is right.. I'm right here, waiting!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

13 Oct 2018, 22:14

Thank you guys for the nice messages!

I'm doing another one today and I'll make a detailed post with photos/videos of the whole process so that it's not just a "before and after" thread :)

@snufflecat, feel free to PM me and I can do one for you. I'll send you the keymap I've been using and you can let me know what to change to tailor it to you.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

14 Oct 2018, 08:11

Dear lord, this has taken me all day to put together. Hope someone finds this interesting :)

Before:

Step 1: Map out PCB
Using a multimeter set to continuity check mode to check which pins correspond to the rows and columns. I mark the pins with a permanent marker.

Step 2: Remove keycaps
Space invaders can be a little bit tricky to remove the caps. I use a sideways prying motion to pop them off.
Step 3: Remove unnecessary components
Removed all of the unnecessary passive components like resistors which can pull the signal down and give weird key presses.
Step 4: Desolder ICs
Since we're replacing the controller, these aren't needed any longer
Step 5: Dust the life out of it
This thing is awesome. So much better than canned air and it's paid for itself several times over
Step 6: Clean the keycaps
First I soak them with dish soap then run them through an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner a few times.
Step 7: Clean the case
I use a mr clean magic eraser which gets off all of the marks with minimal elbow grease

Step 8: Solder pins onto teensy
I use a breadboard to keep things in place while I solder the pins.

Step 9: Solder teensy to board
Thought about socketing it but my pins were a bit too fat to fit.
Step 10: Replace keycaps
Luckily I have lots of boards to use as a reference.
Step 11: Test matrix
Just making sure everything was traced out correctly.
Step 12: Map matrix
I have a little arduino sketch I wrote which prints the row and column for each key. Makes this job a lot easier
Step 13: Program TMK
I love TMK! Looks tricky but it's fairly straight forward once you've done it a couple times.
Step 14: LED
Forgot about the LED so I had to do it after the fact.
Step 15: Compile and flash
Fingers crossed.... IT COMPILES!!!!!
After:

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2018, 17:27

Thanks indeed! Just glancing here on my phone, I can see the work you put into it. Should be gold!

imdatperson

14 Oct 2018, 18:48

Love mine already :)

Engicoder

15 Oct 2018, 00:08

Great write up Snacks!! Very thorough. It's great to see space invaders get some love. That is a fantastic looking board!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

15 Oct 2018, 01:37

Wow thanks again guys!

Someone on reddit was asking how they compare weight wise, which I thought was an interesting question. Here's how they each size up:

The Patriot - 43.43oz

The Unknown - 48.57oz

The Pawn - 49.03oz

The Imposter - 52.45oz

The Soldier - 53.8 oz

A couple people were also wondering what switch the linear space invaders are most comparable to. In my opinion, they're very similar to vintage mx blacks, but a tiny tiny bit lighter. The biggest difference I observe is in the sound. The space invaders make a deeper, "thockier" sound than the vintage cherries:

TwistedPair

15 Oct 2018, 11:26

Outstanding! That soldering is really nice and smooth.

lucar

17 Oct 2018, 14:43

I'm in love with this post!!!

Please go on updating!!

Luca

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

25 Oct 2018, 19:57

No real update yet. I'll hopefully have time to knock out 8 of the pawns this weekend since they have the same matrix and the teensy++ 2.0 drop in works nicely on these.

I just wanted to share a small technique I've picked up. I've been doing a lot of desoldering for this project and it's always a challenge when the pins are bent. If you have bent pins, you can desolder the pin and bend it back to straight in one move by making a light prying motion. This works great on switches as well. I know there are a lot of alps boards where all/most of the pins are bent. Takes a couple seconds but it saves the trouble of fussing with the bent pins after the fact.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

25 Oct 2018, 23:41

Also, I have about 40-50 of these little boxes with tiny USB mini cables. If anyone wants them (all of them or just a few), send me a PM. I cant think of any use for them and it seems wasteful to toss them.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

26 Oct 2018, 03:09

This is the layout I've been using. The pink keys are my own modifications. I did my best to go with the original intent of the key when I could. And when I couldn't, I tried to use something that made sense ergonomically.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... 24435212d0

lucar

26 Oct 2018, 09:49

Thanks for sharing all this with us, restoring/converting keyboards is a lot of work but also a lot of fun!

Luca

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

27 Oct 2018, 20:10

This weekend is going to be dedicated to cleaning my filthy apartment and cleaning up 8 of these Pawns that have already been converted. I was thinking that all of the soldering was out of the way but I realized a couple of these keyboards have broken switches that need to be replaced from a charitable donor board.

These are the recruits. They're a scrappy bunch for sure but I see potential. I have faith that after this bootcamp, they'll be ready to serve in the front lines with their brothers in arms.

Each recruit has already been equipped with a new microcontroller and have passed basic testing. Now all that's needed is to dust them off, scrub their cases, and wash their keycaps. By the way, these appear to be Televideo 935 and 965 keyboards. Both have the same matrix but the 965 has a lock light on the capslock key. The cases are all branded either "Televideo", "Hitachi", or are unbranded / missing badges. I've marked the cases and PCBs so that I can match them back up post-cleaning.

By the way, I'm looking to buy some extra Space Invader spacebars. These boards use huge spacebars (10u) but 9u spacebars will also fit (with little gaps on the side obviously). If anyone has some extra spacebars, I'd be forever grateful if you could reach out to me :)

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

27 Oct 2018, 23:04

One bad scary movie later and I've removed all the caps.

If you've ever wanted to watch someone pop the keycaps off of 8 boards in one sitting; boy, do I have the movie for you!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

28 Oct 2018, 19:06

Building up a small collection of the different color SI switches!

Return to “Workshop”