Another vintage keyboard being destroyed for it's switches.

abrahamstechnology

17 Oct 2018, 18:23

AMongoose

17 Oct 2018, 18:35

It wasn't getting used, now parts of it will be used. Seems good to me.

samuelcable

17 Oct 2018, 18:41

Who gives a shit, it's an extremely common board that are seen about everywhere. If it were a rare board id see why you'd be upset but people strip these all the time

hansichen

17 Oct 2018, 18:46

Weirdly the "trend" to "destroy" keyboards started on deskthority: workshop-f7/f-ssk-t10744.html

Back then it was celebrated on deskthority, these days we just point with the finger on different communities and blame them for being evil. Times are changing fast :lol:

abrahamstechnology

17 Oct 2018, 18:56

hansichen wrote: Weirdly the "trend" to "destroy" keyboards started on deskthority: workshop-f7/f-ssk-t10744.html

Back then it was celebrated on deskthority, these days we just point with the finger on different communities and blame them for being evil. Times are changing fast :lol:
But that's just changing a bit of the internals, not harvesting the switches and scrapping the chassis.

hansichen

17 Oct 2018, 18:57

abrahamstechnology wrote:
hansichen wrote: Weirdly the "trend" to "destroy" keyboards started on deskthority: workshop-f7/f-ssk-t10744.html

But that's just changing a bit of the internals, not harvesting the switches and scrapping the chassis.
And where do you find Model F internals (springs and flippers)? I don't see them growing on trees.

AMongoose

17 Oct 2018, 18:59

abrahamstechnology wrote:

Not really a bit, it's more like scrapping all those holy bs switches plus the membrane of a model m

plus harvesting the springs and hammers from model Fs and scrapping those.

Muirium
µ

17 Oct 2018, 19:23

Speaking as someone who’s been here a while, I call bovine artisanal fertiliser on the notion attitudes have changed much in that regard. Some people, who may or may not have a chocolate bar face, are judgy on this stuff. Originalists, as it were. (Some of them to the point of Scalia!) But they know who they are and they were never the only opinion. The fact the Workshop is the heart of DT says a lot. We’ve been hacking and modding and chopping and transplanting for years, and we’ll keep doing it. Because to invent is human.

The sad truth is the great silent majority of all old boards are scrapped, full stop. For nothing. For landfill. For oblivion. Better to live on in part of something else, than to spend eternity as mechanical silt.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Oct 2018, 08:28

I don't see the issue here. Isn't the ultimate goal to do things that make us happy? Also, reddit.

TwistedPair

18 Oct 2018, 09:31

Poor doggie. I really hope the reddit OP had some kind of ventilation measure.

Muirium
µ

18 Oct 2018, 12:19

Fumes would kind of explain Reddit, now I come to think…

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Oct 2018, 15:51

Muirium wrote: […] Some people, who may or may not have a chocolate bar face, are judgy on this stuff […].
As a matter of fact, I (for those not aware: Muirium is referring to my avatar :mrgreen: ) have a more differentiated attitude:
- anything done to any Apple keyboard is fully justified,
- the bolt mod every Model M will inevitably have to undergo at some time is just repairing an idiotic built-in flaw,
- heavily modding rare boards is like felling ancient trees to make fancy - and highly transient - furniture out of them.

What bothers me more is when even native English speakers don't know (or care for) the difference between "its" and "it's"
(see thread title).

stratokaster

18 Oct 2018, 15:53

kbdfr wrote: - anything done to any Apple keyboard is fully justified
[...]
What bothers me more is when even native English speakers don't know (or care for) the difference between "its" and "it's"
(see thread title).
Savage! :lol:

Findecanor

18 Oct 2018, 15:57

If you are on there, do urge him to save the shell and keycaps and mail them to you!

There was a short while in the late '80s and early '90s when Apple was a little bit cool. When Apple was a part of that part of the computer industry that gave you hope for a brighter future. When they were worthy of taking inspiration from. This keyboard is from that time.
This was the first keyboard with ADB protocol, which was a pretty nice design albeit never really implemented well.

samuelcable

18 Oct 2018, 16:04

Findecanor wrote: If you are on there, do urge him to save the shell and keycaps and mail them to you!

There was a short while in the late '80s and early '90s when Apple was a little bit cool. When Apple was a part of that part of the computer industry that gave you hope for a brighter future. When they were worthy of taking inspiration from. This keyboard is from that time.
This was the first keyboard with ADB protocol, which was a pretty nice design albeit never really implemented well.
I don't personally see any value in the case but not many people throw out the caps

Findecanor

18 Oct 2018, 16:08

This case and caps have the same special curve, so in my view they should go together. It is a unique combination not seen in any other keyboard.

Return to “Off-topic”