Restored Dell AT101w

abrahamstechnology

19 Oct 2018, 18:01

Before:
After:

Switches are linear modded Black Alps, and the board is converted to USB via a Pro Micro inside the case.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

19 Oct 2018, 18:03

Wow that turned out fantastic!

What are the caps?

abrahamstechnology

19 Oct 2018, 18:04

snacksthecat wrote: Wow that turned out fantastic!

What are the caps?
Tai-Hao Tomcat. I had to modify the capslock key though.

Myoth

19 Oct 2018, 18:11

I don't understand why someone put so much effort into one of the most common and most generic keyboard ever. I wouldn't even have paid the shipping for it.

abrahamstechnology

19 Oct 2018, 18:24

Myoth wrote: I don't understand why someone put so much effort into one of the most common and most generic keyboard ever. I wouldn't even have paid the shipping for it.
Why not?

Myoth

19 Oct 2018, 18:26

because it's "one of the most common and most generic keyboard ever."

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

19 Oct 2018, 18:27

abrahamstechnology wrote:
Myoth wrote: I don't understand why someone put so much effort into one of the most common and most generic keyboard ever. I wouldn't even have paid the shipping for it.
Why not?
It looks like a great job to me. And I agree: mod/restore whatever you like. Just because it's common doesn't mean it's bad. I'd hate to see this hobby of ours turn elitist. People put lots of effort into bolt modding Model Ms, which are even more common and generic than the Dell AT101/102.
Last edited by Techno Trousers on 19 Oct 2018, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

abrahamstechnology

19 Oct 2018, 18:27

Myoth wrote: because it's "one of the most common and most generic keyboard ever."
That seems like a good thing to me.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

19 Oct 2018, 18:33

snacksthecat wrote: Wow that turned out fantastic!

What are the caps?
Tai-Hao Tomcat. I had to modify the capslock key though.
What did you have to modify? Moving the stem? I tried this one time but it came out wonky. Yours looks like it belongs.

abrahamstechnology

19 Oct 2018, 18:34

Techno Trousers wrote:
Why not?
It looks like a great job to me. And I agree: mod/restore whatever you like. Just because it's common doesn't mean it's bad. I'd hate to see this hobby of ours turn elitist. People put lots of effort into bolt modding Model Ms, which are even more common and generic than the Dell AT101/102.
I agree. It is completely senseless to let a repairable mechanical rust or be scrapped.

Also, I have never seen an AT101w in the wild. Except for the one on my mothers old computer, which unfortunately was scrapped a long time ago.

Myoth

19 Oct 2018, 18:35

Techno Trousers wrote:
Why not?
I don't understand, it doesn't mean I'm restricting him from doing whatever he likes ....
Myoth wrote: because it's "one of the most common and most generic keyboard ever."
I guess ?

abrahamstechnology

19 Oct 2018, 18:41

snacksthecat wrote:
What did you have to modify? Moving the stem? I tried this one time but it came out wonky. Yours looks like it belongs.

I used the stem from a worn out keycap, filed it and epoxied it. It sits a bit higher than the other keycaps but it's barely noticeable.
DSC00547.JPG
DSC00547.JPG (6.1 MiB) Viewed 5814 times

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

19 Oct 2018, 18:42

Myoth wrote: I don't understand, it doesn't mean I'm restricting him from doing whatever he likes ....
You don't understand that going out of your way to say that you wouldn't even pay shipping for a keyboard like this is insulting and elitist?

abrahamstechnology

19 Oct 2018, 18:44

View of one of the linear-modded black Alps. The white powder stuff is dry Teflon lubricant.
DSC00549.JPG
DSC00549.JPG (6.45 MiB) Viewed 5805 times

fohat
Elder Messenger

19 Oct 2018, 18:55

I consider the Dell AT101 family to be particularly sturdy, well-made, and good-feeling keyboards.

Their big drawback is that the later models had unpopular black "bamboo" switches, but these keyboards are quite worthy foundations for any number of modification projects.

Myoth

19 Oct 2018, 19:04

Techno Trousers wrote:
Myoth wrote: I don't understand, it doesn't mean I'm restricting him from doing whatever he likes ....
You don't understand that going out of your way to say that you wouldn't even pay shipping for a keyboard like this is insulting and elitist?
No, I don't understand why use a AT101W when SGIs are easily available, I'm typing on an AT102 at the moment and I really don't think they're bad keyboards, but I think it's kind of sad to put your time in an AT101W when there are better options for not much more expensive. And there are mod that I'd have actually supported, in fact, I'm interested in someone cutting a bigfoot into a TKL since I am looking to do that in a somewhat near future with a SGI Beige.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

19 Oct 2018, 19:43

Myoth wrote:
Techno Trousers wrote:
No, I don't understand why use a AT101W when SGIs are easily available, I'm typing on an AT102 at the moment and I really don't think they're bad keyboards, but I think it's kind of sad to put your time in an AT101W when there are better options for not much more expensive. And there are mod that I'd have actually supported, in fact, I'm interested in someone cutting a bigfoot into a TKL since I am looking to do that in a somewhat near future with a SGI Beige.
Woah man, this is unlike you - this restoration project isn't "sad" at all! Taking a common keyboard and modding it out like this makes it pretty cool IMO. It stands out BECAUSE the at101w is so generic. Taking rarer keybaords and modding them into something even more unique seems silly because they are already unique to begin with. It's also possible that abraham just really likes the plain look of the at101w!

That's just my opinion, anyway.

Very nice job on the board, abraham! I'm digging the painted plate!

abrahamstechnology

19 Oct 2018, 19:45

Myoth wrote:
Techno Trousers wrote:
In my region it is nearly impossible to find any mechanicals, much less AT101s. I have to order them from people like Snacks and Cindy.
Plus, cutting up a SGI makes little sense since there is an Alps tenkeyless still in production, the KBParadise v80.

samuelcable

19 Oct 2018, 19:47

good job on the restoration! the caps dont really fit this case though

abrahamstechnology

19 Oct 2018, 19:48

//gainsborough wrote: No, I don't understand why use a AT101W when SGIs are easily available, I'm typing on an AT102 at the moment and I really don't think they're bad keyboards, but I think it's kind of sad to put your time in an AT101W when there are better options for not much more expensive. And there are mod that I'd have actually supported, in fact, I'm interested in someone cutting a bigfoot into a TKL since I am looking to do that in a somewhat near future with a SGI Beige.
Woah man, this is unlike you - this restoration project isn't "sad" at all! Taking a common keyboard and modding it out like this makes it pretty cool IMO. It stands out BECAUSE the at101w is so generic. Taking rarer keybaords and modding them into something even more unique seems silly because they are already unique to begin with. It's also possible that abraham just really likes the plain look of the at101w!

That's just my opinion, anyway.

Very nice job on the board, abraham! I'm digging the painted plate![/quote]

Thanks! Yes, I do love the standard fullsize layout.

green-squid

19 Oct 2018, 19:49

:o Looks damn awesome! I'm glad you took the time to restore it, even if it's considered 'not worth bothering with' by some peeps. I'd personally love to do something similar with an AEK chassis or any other chassis that people would usually throw out after harvesting. (anyone in europe have AEKs?)

abrahamstechnology

19 Oct 2018, 19:52

samuelcable wrote: good job on the restoration! the caps dont really fit this case though
Thanks! Yes, I wish Tai-Hao had more Alps options.

Myoth

19 Oct 2018, 20:10

//gainsborough wrote: Woah man, this is unlike you - this restoration project isn't "sad" at all! Taking a common keyboard and modding it out like this makes it pretty cool IMO. It stands out BECAUSE the at101w is so generic. Taking rarer keybaords and modding them into something even more unique seems silly because they are already unique to begin with. It's also possible that abraham just really likes the plain look of the at101w!
I guess I'm wrong on this, but still, I definitely think that it could have been a much prefered result (for me). I didn't suggest to mod rarer keyboards but there are some I just wouldn't bother with, it's like the equivalent of getting a G80-3000 and putting the latest GMK Serika on it, it's just .... why ? I sure as hell woudn't mod a DC-2214 or DC-3014, but SGIs, Zeniths, AEKs, Focus', Omnikeys and a lot of other Alps keyboards would be much nicer candidates to a time consuming restoration and upgrade.
abrahamstechnology wrote: In my region it is nearly impossible to find any mechanicals, much less AT101s. I have to order them from people like Snacks and Cindy.
So you're telling me the land of oportunity, great finds and ebay is a place where you can't easily get SGIs ? I doubt that very much, I managed to get 2 of these in France, in France, keyboards with an ANSI layout, which is hated here.
abrahamstechnology wrote: Plus, cutting up a SGI makes little sense since there is an Alps tenkeyless still in production, the KBParadise v80.
But no, that's the whole point of modding (in my opinion), it's to create something different, the KBP V80 is a Filco clone with simplified Alps clones, it's bezels less and the most commong layout ever. That's where modding the SGI comes in, you mod a keyboard to fit your needs, good Alps, good layout and the best of all, a nice ass bezel. Which you can't get with any of the modern keyboards.

I may have been harsh and simplified too much my thought process, but what I wanted to say is that for such a generic keyboard, restorating it and upgrading it isn't something that interests me and I wouldn't put time into it, I'd rather take a generic keyboard and mod it to make it something unique and that would fit my needs more. Take for exemple my situation with the SGI Beige. I love TKLs, unfortunately, no TKL that came after the AlpSSK, the Unsaver and the SSK have got a bezel that I appreciate (actually, the Realforces are something I really like and I would surely like one nice 84u [89u + 86u]) so I have to make my own keyboard. Getting too many SGI will force me to make myself something that fits my needs. That's what I'd call a "good" mod/restoration. Excuse me if I sounded rude.

abrahamstechnology

19 Oct 2018, 20:32

Alps keyboards are very expensive on Ebay here in the US. In fact it's one of the reasons why I'm refurbishing these in the first place. It's a solid board that will serve it's new owner for many years to come. Plus, a bunch of my co-workers requested to buy customized AT-101Ws of their own, so I'm going to keep doing it.

I am even having trouble finding a standard 101 rubber dome at my Goodwills! All I can find is Logitech junk with the wireless dongles long gone. (Spoiler for another project)

abrahamstechnology

19 Oct 2018, 20:33

abrahamstechnology wrote: Alps keyboards are very expensive on Ebay here in the US. In fact it's one of the reasons why I'm refurbishing these in the first place. It's a solid board that will serve it's new owner for many years to come. Plus, a bunch of my co-workers requested to buy customized AT-101Ws of their own, so I'm going to keep doing it.

I am even having trouble finding a standard 101 rubber dome at my Goodwills! All I can find is Logitech junk with the wireless dongles long gone. (Spoiler for another project)
If you thought this project was crappy, the "HP G80-3000" will horrify you...

fohat
Elder Messenger

19 Oct 2018, 20:48

Myoth wrote:
the land of oportunity, great finds and ebay is a place where you can't easily get SGIs ?

Getting too many SGI will force me
It has been my experience that SGI AT101 keyboards are quite scarce in the US, particularly in the granite color scheme.

Findecanor

19 Oct 2018, 21:01

Yes, where the hell would SGI AT101 be so commonplace that you could just cut them up and use for scraps?

Myoth

19 Oct 2018, 21:03

abrahamstechnology wrote: Alps keyboards are very expensive on Ebay here in the US.
I can't trust you on this, the Alps fanatic I know all have made their find in the US, Stripped Ambers (actually that might be from Korea), C.itoh, DC-2014, all of these were from the US IIRC. Point is, I think you just aren't quick enough to get the good deals.
abrahamstechnology wrote: If you thought this project was crappy, the "HP G80-3000" will horrify you...
If I guessed right what you're going to make, it can be very cool, again, I'm not against crappy project, but modify a AT101W feels useless to me.
fohat wrote: It has been my experience that SGI AT101 keyboards are quite scarce in the US, particularly in the granite color scheme.
I can't believe this. SGI was from America and they were very common, there are tons of them. I don't think they're hard to find : https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... ld=1&rt=nc, about 10 in the span of 3 months, these are definitely not rare. (Also there 4 Granite to 2 Beige, so again, I doubt your claim)

Myoth

19 Oct 2018, 21:06

Findecanor wrote: Yes, where the hell would SGI AT101 be so commonplace that you could just cut them up and use for scraps?
I just found 2 of them in France in the span of 2 weeks, and I think they definitely are rarer in France than in America. I just have been lucky.

abrahamstechnology

19 Oct 2018, 22:54

And sold for $100!

Return to “Gallery”