[GB] Postage Board (switch-mounted hand wire controller)

LifeIsOnTheWire

28 Jul 2018, 16:30

Hello everyone, the GB is finally here for the Postage Board. I have been testing a batch of prototypes for the past while, and I'm happy to say they have functioned flawlessly. Check out this video I made of the testing results https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUxoD30dqM

Here is a render of the final version https://i.imgur.com/C38yho7.png. The only changes from the prototype is just some changes to the silkscreen printing. I fixed a few typos/errors in the labeling of some components, and I also removed the Stamp graphics from the back (due to opinions I gathered in the IC survey)

For those of you who haven't been following the project, the Postage Board is a controller board (like a Teensy or Pro Micro) designed specifically for hand-wire keyboards. The benefit is that it mounts and solders to the underside of any 3x switches on your top-row. This keeps your hand-wire build thinner, cleaner, and it also conveniently mounts the USB Type-C connector on the top edge of your keyboard. Check out this pic https://i.imgur.com/jqfdTKT.jpg

Please visit https://github.com/LifeIsOnTheWire/Post ... /README.md if you want to read more details on the Postage Board. I have tried to compile all the specs/details, and FAQs on that page.

The postage boards are $20 USD + Shipping. I will send you a PayPal invoice via email after you complete the order form. You do not need a PayPal account to pay the invoice.

Please fill out the order form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

The process for this Group Buy will go as follows:

Group Buy Opens today (July 28), and will remain open for 1 month (until August 28). During this time I will process these Google Form orders, and send PayPal invoices to your email provided in this form. You will have until the August 27 date to complete your payment.

Order will be placed with my PCB manufacturer on August 29.

The manufacturer aims for production to take only several days, so I anticipate receiving the completed batch within 2 weeks as a conservative estimate.

I plan on doing a quality test on a random selection of boards, in which I will do a quick multimeter test on a few spots , and load a test firmware, and use a copper wire to jump pins to test keystrokes. There will be no soldering done to test any boards. This process should take 1 or 2 days.

Barring any delays, I anticipate I should be able to ship the boards to you around September 15. If there are any delays, I will communicate them to everyone via email.

I have a few contingency plans for dealing with any delays or issues. If there are any issues with the manufactured boards, I am fully planning on dealing with those issues before shipping to you. I also plan on ordering an additional stock of about 25% more boards to deal with any defects.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

28 Jul 2018, 17:00

I would definitely like to buy one, but quite frankly the shipping estimates are insane. is there any way to bring down the US shipping? Different carrier? slower service?

LifeIsOnTheWire

28 Jul 2018, 18:44

mike52787 wrote: I would definitely like to buy one, but quite frankly the shipping estimates are insane. is there any way to bring down the US shipping? Different carrier? slower service?
I made the assumption that everyone would want tracking service included at the very minimum. Perhaps that wasn't a good idea. I can ship a non-tracked parcel to the US for about $7

Perhaps I'll update the form to give people more options.

LifeIsOnTheWire

29 Jul 2018, 01:04

Ok, the shipping prices have been adjusted. I managed to get Small business shipping rates

LifeIsOnTheWire

11 Aug 2018, 22:48

I have managed to get cheaper shipping to UK and EU courtesy of David @ Mechboards.co.uk

$6 to UK, and $11 to EU. Both are non-tracked. If you prefer tracking, fill out the order form and I'll send you a quote.

zzzaacchh

27 Aug 2018, 21:24

Any updates? I assume no news is good news?

RealityCavesIn

28 Aug 2018, 12:48

Oh damn I've completely missed that this was live :o . I just put my order in, hope I'm not too late

LifeIsOnTheWire

30 Aug 2018, 15:43

The order is submitted with the manufacturer, and I am awaiting a proper delivery estimate.

Thanks to everyone who placed orders, I'll be posting updates here as events progress :)

LifeIsOnTheWire

18 Sep 2018, 22:41

The boards have been shipped from China and they are on their way to me. The next step will be for me to test a random sample of them, and then ship them out to everyone.

LifeIsOnTheWire

30 Sep 2018, 09:31

The boards are in my possession, and I have completed the testing phase. They work splendidly, and I am working on shipping them out now.

I ran into some delays with the shipping-out phase, my choice of packaging turned out to be incompatible with my shipper's labels. I have it sorted out, and they should all be shipped out tomorrow.

LifeIsOnTheWire

04 Oct 2018, 10:33

Everyone who opted for tracking should have their tracking numbers now. Please reach out to me for any questions or issues.

swampangel

04 Oct 2018, 21:53

Got my tracking number. Thanks for the steady stream of updates! :D

jacobavenkraft

20 Oct 2018, 19:17

I don't suppose you had any extras of these that you will be selling?

Lanrefni

20 Oct 2018, 21:56

jacobavenkraft wrote: I don't suppose you had any extras of these that you will be selling?
Keeb.io has them listed as coming soon- https://keeb.io/collections/frontpage/p ... handwiring thinking about picking one up for a rewire project.

LifeIsOnTheWire

21 Oct 2018, 07:56

Yes, he should be selling them pretty soon. I will also be doing another GB soon too.

rumlyne

22 Oct 2018, 09:18

LifeIsOnTheWire wrote: ... I will also be doing another GB soon too.
Looking forward to it!
What will the price be compared to keeb.io? (Is it worth the wait?)

RealityCavesIn

24 Oct 2018, 07:52

I never received mine. How long does shipping to the EU usually take?

t8c

24 Oct 2018, 08:51

RealityCavesIn wrote: I never received mine. How long does shipping to the EU usually take?
+1

Anakey

24 Oct 2018, 09:24

i received mine yesterday in the UK so i would expect by the end of the week or early next week depending on how quick the national post service is

RealityCavesIn

25 Oct 2018, 09:29

Anakey wrote: i received mine yesterday in the UK so i would expect by the end of the week or early next week depending on how quick the national post service is
Ah nice one, thanks! Swedish post service is a burning trash heap so I'll expect it to arrive in a couple of weeks.

Nice to hear that they've started to arrive in Europe though.

LifeIsOnTheWire

08 Nov 2018, 14:59

RealityCavesIn wrote: I never received mine. How long does shipping to the EU usually take?
Sent you a PM.

jacobavenkraft

14 Nov 2018, 16:57

I would love something like this with built-in Bluetooth. Has anyone ever done a GB for something like that?

swampangel

14 Nov 2018, 18:07

Return to “Group buys”