Zbrojovka Brno 262.12

Felima

22 Oct 2018, 22:13

Hello kind people of Deskthority!
I have this (in my opinion) rather interesting keyboard on my hands.
it's a Zbrojovka Brno 262.12, not quite sure what year it was made, so far I have not noticed any date stamps (yet)
IMG_9419.JPG
IMG_9419.JPG (158.92 KiB) Viewed 16403 times
This board measures up a healthy 52cm by 24cm, and it sits about 3cm tall from the desk, weighing in at 2kilograms.And it has a 5pin DIN plug.
IMG_9866.JPG
IMG_9866.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 16403 times
it's keycaps are made of thick doubleshot ABS, similar to what Honeywell used to make.
IMG_9854.JPG
IMG_9854.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 16403 times
IMG_9855.JPG
IMG_9855.JPG (1.14 MiB) Viewed 16403 times
IMG_9867.JPG
IMG_9867.JPG (953.08 KiB) Viewed 16403 times
Same goes for the switches, being a hall effect keyboard, the switches and internals were made by the old soviet company called Tesla.It does support NKRO, is this common for hall effect keyboards of this vintage? This keyboard is a bit of an oddball still, as it does have locklights, suggesting it might be using the AT protocol. And it kind of does a mix of AT and XT, as I notice that the arrow cluster acts a bit strange. But otherwise this old keyboard is still usable to this day, pretty odd I think for a hall effect board. It does support some sort of "feet"on the back of the board, consisting of small tiny rubber feet in the upper corners, and a metal bar to raise it up off the desk. The angle it does is pretty wild!
IMG_9863.JPG
IMG_9863.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 16403 times
IMG_9864.JPG
IMG_9864.JPG (1021.68 KiB) Viewed 16403 times
IMG_9865.JPG
IMG_9865.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 16403 times
IMG_9857.JPG
IMG_9857.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 16403 times
IMG_9858.JPG
IMG_9858.JPG (971.45 KiB) Viewed 16403 times
Some of the switches do feel a little gritty, is there any way I can open these without destroying them at all? If anyone here has some more info about this keyboard, please do fill me in!

Size comparison between this and my IBM Model F
IMG_9845.JPG
IMG_9845.JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 16403 times

hansichen

22 Oct 2018, 22:32

Nice find with a fancy layout! The caps look really nice and this integrated wrist rest is an interesting design choice. How do you like the switches?

Felima

22 Oct 2018, 22:38

Most of them are super smooth but few need some more cleaning. It is really sturdy and feels quite nice to type on. Wouldn't recommend for gaming though.

Muirium
µ

23 Oct 2018, 12:43

Pretty cool board. It’s got a lot of character. This one is late for a Hall effect, what with the clearly Model M inspired layout. Micro Switch boards are often from the 1970s and early 80s, before the PC keyboard specs had been developed. So you’ve got yourself a rarity: a Hall effect that actually speaks to modern hardware.

Chyros

23 Oct 2018, 13:13

Ah, I know this series of boards. The switches are Tesla's copy of Honeywell single-magnet Hall effect switches. My CZ board doesn't have a case, but from what I've seen they tend to have really heavy cases like yours :) . Nice!

Felima

23 Oct 2018, 13:19

Czechoslovakia used Hall effect keyboards until the fall of communism. This is pretty wild guess but I think we still use a few. I think it was made in 1989 so the same year we got rid of communism. It's in really good shape only having few scratches. Once I lube the switches it'll sure be my daily driver.

AJM

23 Oct 2018, 13:34

Nice!
I like it how they put the shift keys at the right spots with the same size, no matter if it fits in the usual cluster, or not! :mrgreen:

Felima

23 Oct 2018, 13:37

Pfff it's an amazing Soviet feature. I am still going to stick with my Model F because this is too unusual for me. After I lube it. Oh does anyone know if I can use standard clear lube for the switches? Thanks

abrahamstechnology

23 Oct 2018, 13:50

Felima wrote: Pfff it's an amazing Soviet feature. I am still going to stick with my Model F because this is too unusual for me. After I lube it. Oh does anyone know if I can use standard clear lube for the switches? Thanks
Interesting keyboard
Last edited by abrahamstechnology on 28 Feb 2020, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Felima

23 Oct 2018, 14:12

The keycaps are so thick my keycap puller didn't fit. It took me two hours to remove them. I think I scored pretty well for 12$. From what I've seen it is the only Czechoslovakian keyboard that can be converted with no problem.

It is just something my friend doodled for me

green-squid

23 Oct 2018, 14:48

new endgame keyboard located

Felima

23 Oct 2018, 15:59

There is no endgame. You can only go deeper. But I agree this is pretty good keyboard

abrahamstechnology

24 Oct 2018, 03:01

Felima wrote: It is just something my friend doodled for me
Ah, I see. Sorry, there are just some really weird people in America, I had to make sure you wern't one of them.

abrahamstechnology

24 Oct 2018, 03:02

Anyways, this is a very interesting find, it may even help us to convert other Hall-effect keyboards into modern protocols.

Elrick

24 Oct 2018, 03:35

Felima wrote: There is no endgame. You can only go deeper. But I agree this is pretty good keyboard
100% CORRECT.

Once you fall down into the rabbit hole you will end up in 'DT Wanderland' a fantastic place, full of bizarre adventures :D .

IronSunsetscales

24 Oct 2018, 15:36

I'd love to try that board out sometime! She's a beaut.

IronSunsetscales

24 Oct 2018, 15:37

abrahamstechnology wrote:
Ah, I see. Sorry, there are just some really weird people in America, I had to make sure you wern't one of them.
That's a funny comment, these "weird people" are all over the world :lol:

Felima

24 Oct 2018, 15:41

Weird people are everywhere. That keyboard will be my daily driver for at least a week so I'll get used to it

abrahamstechnology

24 Oct 2018, 16:41

IronSunsetscales wrote:
That's a funny comment, these "weird people" are all over the world :lol:
Your profile picture is concerning me too...

But I should give the benefit of doubt for now. I'm sorry, people of... a certain group have infiltrated different communities like the vintage computer community, and I wouldn't want to see that happening to the mechanical keyboard community as well. People not just weird, but downright perverted and disturbing, yet being completely shameless about it as well.

But enough of me turning this thread into a discussion about social issues, let's talk Hall Effect.

Felima

24 Oct 2018, 16:46

Yeah Hall Effect is what matters. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on similar keyboard for comparison. So far my experience with them is amazing.

abrahamstechnology

24 Oct 2018, 16:48

Felima wrote: Yeah Hall Effect is what matters. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on similar keyboard for comparison. So far my experience with them is amazing.
Mind posting a picture of the controller circuitry? Or can it not be accessed unless the board is desoldered?

Felima

24 Oct 2018, 16:52

Felima wrote: Yeah Hall Effect is what matters. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on similar keyboard for comparison. So far my experience with them is amazing.
Mind posting a picture of the controller circuitry? Or can it not be accessed unless the board is desoldered?
I am not home at the moment but as soon as I am I will post a photo. There isn't really much to the PCB. Just few capacitors and Tesla procesor that can be removed without soldering.

IronSunsetscales

24 Oct 2018, 16:55

Ah, I see. Sorry, there are just some really weird people in America, I had to make sure you wern't one of them.[/quote]

That's a funny comment, these "weird people" are all over the world :lol:[/quote]
Your profile picture is concerning me too...

But I should give the benefit of doubt for now. I'm sorry, people of... a certain group have infiltrated different communities like the vintage computer community, and I wouldn't want to see that happening to the mechanical keyboard community as well. People not just weird, but downright perverted and disturbing, yet being completely shameless about it as well.

But enough of me turning this thread into a discussion about social issues, let's talk Hall Effect.[/quote]

Quite a nice way generalize an entire group of hundreds of thousands of people :P
People all over the world do perverted, disturbing and stupid things, not much to stop them from doing that.
This is a keyboard forum, and that's what we're here for. Nothing more, nothing less.

abrahamstechnology

24 Oct 2018, 17:11

IronSunsetscales wrote: Quite a nice way generalize an entire group of hundreds of thousands of people :P
People all over the world do perverted, disturbing and stupid things, not much to stop them from doing that.
This is a keyboard forum, and that's what we're here for. Nothing more, nothing less.
If someone doesn't want to be generalized, they shouldn't associate with perverts and zoophiles.

abrahamstechnology

24 Oct 2018, 17:14

How DARE I generalize those poor rubber domes?!

IronSunsetscales

24 Oct 2018, 17:17

IronSunsetscales wrote: Quite a nice way generalize an entire group of hundreds of thousands of people :P
If someone doesn't want to be generalized, they shouldn't associate with perverts and zoophiles.
Yeah that is what YOU are doing! Lemme tell you that ALL American are asshole bigots, I've seen this in the past before. Yeah same thing, isn't it?
Thanks for calling me a pervert and zoophile btw.

abrahamstechnology

24 Oct 2018, 17:26

IronSunsetscales wrote:
Yeah that is what YOU are doing! Lemme tell you that ALL American are asshole bigots, I've seen this in the past before. Yeah same thing, isn't it?
Thanks for calling me a pervert and zoophile btw.
Lat time I checked Americans go crazy when something is even remotely bigoted. Many times falsely attributed to promote a left-wing political agenda.

Far different than a group of people with a perverted obsession with animals. And of course you are, I figured but didn't call you one directly, I try to give benefit of the doubt when I can.

IronSunsetscales

24 Oct 2018, 17:41

Lat time I checked Americans go crazy when something is even remotely bigoted. Many times falsely attributed to promote a left-wing political agenda.

Far different than a group of people with a perverted obsession with animals. And of course you are, I figured but didn't call you one directly, I try to give benefit of the doubt when I can.

First of all, I'd like to remind you how your conversation started, in this thread above. Generalizing furries to be over sexualized, and what am I? What do I? You don't know a damn thing about me. I'm calling you out because you are generalizing a whole group of people in one go. Kinda what racism and bigotry does, sadly enough. As I've said before, we're here because we have the same hobby, which are keyboards. A hobby I've had for quite the while. What does my other hobbies have to do with that? America ain't Europe, and neither am I that guy that says he likes to sleep with animals. Not that you should even care about my personal life in the first place.

abrahamstechnology

24 Oct 2018, 17:49

IronSunsetscales wrote:

First of all, I'd like to remind you how your conversation started, in this thread above. Generalizing furries to be over sexualized, and what am I? What do I? You don't know a damn thing about me. I'm calling you out because you are generalizing a whole group of people in one go. Kinda what racism and bigotry does, sadly enough. As I've said before, we're here because we have the same hobby, which are keyboards. A hobby I've had for quite the while. What does my other hobbies have to do with that? America ain't Europe, and neither am I that guy that says he likes to sleep with animals. Not that you should even care about my personal life in the first place.
Not all rubber domes are mushy and crappy. Some are quite good. But it does not justify the massive amount of horrible rubber-dome keyboards in active service today.

Same applies here. It is not "generalizing" to point out the obvious. I do not want to get too inappropriate here but it is obvious from your group's media and actions that the collective interest is attraction to animals. If you feel like I'm generalizing, it's your own fault.

Also, I'd like to point out, if your only interest in being here was keyboards there would be no need for the profile picture and username.

IronSunsetscales

24 Oct 2018, 17:55

IronSunsetscales wrote:

Not all rubber domes are mushy and crappy. Some are quite good. But it does not justify the massive amount of horrible rubber-dome keyboards in active service today.

Same applies here. It is not "generalizing" to point out the obvious. I do not want to get too inappropriate here but it is obvious from your group's media and actions that the collective interest is attraction to animals.

In America probably, and that wouldn't surprise me. That simply does not mean we all interact in sexual intercourse with animals, thank you very much. You're talking about the art? That's a totally different thing all together. Yet again, nothing of your concern what other people do in their spare time, or what other hobbies they might have. People are here on this forum for one thing, that many others may enjoy themselves. I for one will not defend others, just myself, from this generalization. What others do is none of my concern.

Return to “Reviews”