Stuff you just bought

kbdfr
The Tiproman

19 Oct 2018, 11:03

Elrick wrote: […] When it comes to inflicting pain and revenge upon their victims, [women] are supreme with no other equals. […]
Now that's a curious view of things. Usually it's a victim who takes revenge and not the other way round ;)
[…] When it comes to inflicting pain and revenge […], they are supreme with no other equals. Hence why I try never to piss her off with certain things. […]
Wrong rationale, you should "try never to piss her off" for her sake and not out of fear for yourself.

:mrgreen:

Scarpia

19 Oct 2018, 16:36

kbdfr +1

Elrick

20 Oct 2018, 03:39

kbdfr wrote: Wrong rationale, you should "try never to piss her off" for her sake and not out of fear for yourself.

:mrgreen:
Fear wouldn't be the precise word here (my fault for using it). Nice getting advice from those whom never been married before but when you are with anyone, over time you see their rationale and of course the way their mind works. She is simply tenacious towards anything, she never gives up until she either owns it or changes/destroys it.

Plus loving them doesn't make it any easier because no one else can compare. After all when it comes down to it through the many disasters that have occurred in the past, she has always been there to defend and stabilize the family.

Over many years that I've been working away, she has become the permanent rock that we ALL depend upon. Only regret not being there more for the children when they were growing up. They now all support her with any discussions and potential ideas that need immediate input.

YES, I'm now simply the drop in every fortnight for a week before leaving town again for another shift.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

26 Oct 2018, 00:55

A box that doesn't take as much space in my trunk so that I can actually put in my subs finally...

JP!

26 Oct 2018, 04:25

With my eBay 10% off today I bought this vintage Starflite slimline briefcase. Gonna put a beamer in it.
case1.jpg
case1.jpg (354.88 KiB) Viewed 12294 times
case2.jpg
case2.jpg (291.3 KiB) Viewed 12294 times

wobbled

29 Oct 2018, 04:09

Just bought this TKL Realforce for £70 or so
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Topre-Realfo ... 2749.l2649

Seems to have an issue with the right control and contextual menu keys, should hopefully be a dome and spring adjustment, fingers crossed the PCB isn't dead but I can live without those keys.

subcat

29 Oct 2018, 04:16

very nice get, black 86us are not easy to come by

Laser
emacs -nw

03 Nov 2018, 12:43

Finally got the dream keycaps I wanted - Leopold 1.5mm thick, dye sublimated PBT, blue-grey. On a Novatouch:
nova_leopold_blue_grey_00.jpg
nova_leopold_blue_grey_00.jpg (507.15 KiB) Viewed 12181 times
nova_leopold_blue_grey_01.jpg
nova_leopold_blue_grey_01.jpg (472.09 KiB) Viewed 12181 times

zrrion

06 Nov 2018, 19:58

Managed to get 2 NOS WYSE ASCII boards for very little. The seller initially listed it as something like "new unbranded industrial model m style keyboard" so I told them what it was and they apparently had 2 of them so here we are.
The vintage blacks I've tried before weren't nos so it'll be interesting to try them out side by side.

EDIT: Just got them today. 1 of the was used and it looks like the other was a replacement that was never used. They are still very clean, and apart from very slight yellowing and shine on the used board they are very pristine.
Last edited by zrrion on 10 Nov 2018, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

Bass

09 Nov 2018, 20:23

Very excited to share this find. I got an IBM 5100 that's currently on the way to me:

Will post more pics and the details of the acquisition once it arrives to me. It will need a restoration and I am uncertain if I can get it to fully work (it definitely won't fully boot in BASIC mode based on what I heard from the seller), but I am just happy to have been able to find it at a relatively reasonable price.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

09 Nov 2018, 20:25

Bass wrote: Very excited to share this find. I got an IBM 5100 that's currently on the way to me:

Will post more pics and the details of the acquisition once it arrives to me. It will need a restoration and I am uncertain if I can get it to fully work (it definitely won't fully boot in BASIC mode based on what I heard from the seller), but I am just happy to have been able to find it at a relatively reasonable price.
Holy hell! Grats Bass man!

snuci
Vintage computer guy

09 Nov 2018, 22:29

Bass wrote: Will post more pics and the details of the acquisition once it arrives to me. It will need a restoration and I am uncertain if I can get it to fully work (it definitely won't fully boot in BASIC mode based on what I heard from the seller), but I am just happy to have been able to find it at a relatively reasonable price.
Awesome. Keep us up to date please.

JP!

09 Nov 2018, 22:32

Damn dude. Where do you find this stuff?

stratokaster

09 Nov 2018, 22:39

Whoa! What a find! I didn't even know that IBM had made small APL machines, I thought APL had been reserved for their mainframes. I'm now playing with J interpreter on my iPad (J was also designed by Kenneth Iverson) and it's a very interesting language.

flowerlandfilms

13 Nov 2018, 01:26

An IBM Model F 5291 Terminal Board...
One of those stupid "Clicky" rubber dome boards which I got for it's Alps doubleshots new in box...
And a Silicon Graphics Dial Box which I have been after forever.
Got exceedingly good deals on each.
WP_20181113_11_15_18_Pro.jpg
WP_20181113_11_15_18_Pro.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 11973 times

Elrick

14 Nov 2018, 03:26

flowerlandfilms wrote: One of those stupid "Clicky" rubber dome boards which I got for it's Alps doubleshots new in box...
Say WHAT..... :shock: :? :shock: ?

Rubber Dome keyboard using Alps key-caps.....have I missed something here......

abrahamstechnology

14 Nov 2018, 04:03

Elrick wrote:
flowerlandfilms wrote: One of those stupid "Clicky" rubber dome boards which I got for it's Alps doubleshots new in box...

I think most of the ADK's 1u caps are Alps compatible if you trim off the plastic guide legs.

flowerlandfilms

14 Nov 2018, 05:52

Elrick wrote:

It's one of these. Just rebranded as "Gear".

wiki/Tai-Hao_APC_semi-mechanical_keyboard

Elrick

15 Nov 2018, 09:55

flowerlandfilms wrote: It's one of these. Just rebranded as "Gear".

Has anyone done a review of this type of keyboard?

Maybe Chyros should get into this because you can't tell me this isn't at least interesting to examine, a semi-Alps built keyboard using spring and click leaf but without a removable switch housing?

It's almost PERVERSE :cry: .

abrahamstechnology

16 Nov 2018, 00:20

flowerlandfilms wrote:
Elrick wrote:

It's one of these. Just rebranded as "Gear".

Those are pretty interesting.

davkol

16 Nov 2018, 00:32

They sound and feel more or less the same as most clicky simplified Alps clones. More tactile than late Alps SKCM Black, but that's probably the only good thing I can tell about them. If anyone wants, I have a pack of those switch internals that I intended to use for modding black Alps in Dell AT101Ws.

The "clicker" keyboards are cheap plastic garbage (terrible case mount). At least there are often doubleshot keycaps, though.

flowerlandfilms

16 Nov 2018, 10:28

davkol wrote: At least there are often doubleshot keycaps, though.
Hence my purchase. It's garbage to type on.

Elrick

17 Nov 2018, 04:00

flowerlandfilms wrote:
Flat, no feedback, limpy/membrane or what?

Please be MORE specific here.

ThePillenwerfer

17 Nov 2018, 13:18

This is my latest purchase:—
STA50002.JPG
STA50002.JPG (222.17 KiB) Viewed 11736 times
STA50004.JPG
STA50004.JPG (196.35 KiB) Viewed 11729 times
It's rubber-dome thing but does have some points of interest. Firstly the dome membrane seems to have been amended. This is marked "UK" but the keyboard has an ANSI return button so I'm wondering if that is why.
STA50001.JPG
STA50001.JPG (184.38 KiB) Viewed 11736 times
Also the F and J keys have house-shoe-shaped ridges in as well as the usual flat bar.
STA50003.JPG
STA50003.JPG (473.77 KiB) Viewed 11729 times
It feels as cheap and nasty as you'd expect but fulfils the purpose for which I bought it. I've got a computer on a table that is chiefly a work-bench and the 105-key keyboard takes up too much space on the occasions that I want the computer on to refer to information about what I'm working on. This one will be fine for those occasions and I can still use the full-sized one the rest of the time. For £3.77 I'm definitely not complaining.

Moosewing

17 Nov 2018, 21:44

Took a gamble on a Monterey K103 last week and it just arrived today. Was expecting white Alps but hoping for Omron Alps-styles, ended up with blue Alps. Never expected to get blues for less than $200, especially not in such a nice board. Good build quality, doubleshot keycaps, 2u backspace, deliciously thick arrow key legends; couldn't ask for much more. The keycaps are filthy but the switches are surprisingly not bad. Shouldn't take more than some air duster to make them feel close to perfect. Unfortunately my phone's camera is broken so I can't get any pics of it aside from the ones in the ebay listing.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

17 Nov 2018, 21:46

Moosewing wrote: Took a gamble on a Monterey K103 last week and it just arrived today. Was expecting white Alps but hoping for Omron Alps-styles, ended up with blue Alps. Never expected to get blues for less than $200, especially not in such a nice board. Good build quality, doubleshot keycaps, 2u backspace, deliciously thick arrow key legends; couldn't ask for much more. The keycaps are filthy but the switches are surprisingly not bad. Shouldn't take more than some air duster to make them feel close to perfect. Unfortunately my phone's camera is broken so I can't get any pics of it aside from the ones in the ebay listing.

Nice dude! I saw that one too but figured it was the same as the one Chyros reviewed. I would say that's a pretty awesome surprise, haha. Congrats!

Moosewing

18 Nov 2018, 01:53

Very interesting development! Had to borrow someone else's phone to take these pics. Please excuse the nastiness, I just finished taking the keycaps off and haven't cleaned anything yet.

A single Omron Alps-style switch on the 'I' key! I almost want to keep it there for the sake of authenticity, but I also want to move it somewhere where it won't be in the way, like the Esc key or the blank key in between the left control and left alt keys.

flowerlandfilms

19 Nov 2018, 03:15

Elrick wrote:
flowerlandfilms wrote:
Flat, no feedback, limpy/membrane or what?

Please be MORE specific here.
It types exactly as it's built, a limp membrane with a click leaf shoved on the side.
I'm going to harvest the caps and light it on fire.

RealityCavesIn

20 Nov 2018, 15:46

New case for my home office setup finally arrived :D
Attachments
Ghost S1b.jpg
Ghost S1b.jpg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 11594 times
Ghost S1a.jpg
Ghost S1a.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 11594 times

stratokaster

20 Nov 2018, 20:01

Two boxes of apples

Return to “News”