Service/Help for Model M screw mod?

ghostdawg187

15 Nov 2018, 09:58

Since I have purchased a Model F XT from Myoth I am very satisfied with the tactility of capacitive buckling springs and going from this I am convinced that my Model M is now in a need for a screw mod. I don't think that some rivets have fallen off, but I can't even open the case without the correct tool to check this out.

Something had to be done concerning a fixing of the Model F, but I am quite unsure if I could succeed with a Model M screw mod. I would have to invest some money for the necessary tools. Now I would like to know if somebody is willing to do a screw mod for my Model M. Of course I would pay for it. But I don't think that someone is trying to get rich with screw mods, so it is a mixture of a "service" and helping out another keyboard enthusiast, who is not very skilled in repairing broken things. I don't think I have the patience if something is not working like the way it should be and I would need a lot of help.

We could also meet and do this together. But I am not convinced to do this on my own, because I am somehow scared to destroy my beloved Model M.

I am living on the northeastern part of Germany, so maybe somebody is willing to meet and would give me some assistance or I could send him or her my keyboard for a screw mod. Any suggestions are highly appreciated :)
Last edited by ghostdawg187 on 15 Nov 2018, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

wobbled

15 Nov 2018, 14:01

I think Hypkx offered this service, and I am pretty sure he's German, or at least European. Drop him a PM in case he misses this thread

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

15 Nov 2018, 17:40

I did not missed the thread, but I live now near berlin and the place where I can do the mods is in my hometown (Rostock). Another thing that stops me is the responsibility if something fail and the keys don't work.

fohat
Elder Messenger

15 Nov 2018, 19:24

It is frustrating because while a bolt-mod is not unduly hard after you have done it a few times, it is still a fussy, time-consuming project, and you do have to buy materials for it. And, of course, if you are working on somebody else's gear, there is always the chance that you will mess it up.

My experience is that people seem reluctant to pay a fair fee for the service, yet are unwilling to do it themselves. Therefore, few people want to offer to take on a project like that for hire, while it might seem like an enjoyable distraction when doing it for themselves.

mind_prepared

15 Nov 2018, 19:48

hypkx wrote: My experience is that people seem reluctant to pay a fair fee for the service, yet are unwilling to do it themselves. Therefore, few people want to offer to take on a project like that for hire, while it might seem like an enjoyable distraction when doing it for themselves.
Yeppers, that's pretty much how I see it, too. And I don't consider it an enjoyable distraction even when I'm doing it for myself. Also, offering it as a service necessitates picking it up, unwrapping everything, and then afterwards wrapping everything up again and taking it back to the post office for shipping, which eats up even more time. I don't see why anybody who's not on welfare would do that for less than 50 bucks - and 50 bucks is asking too much of course...

AJM

15 Nov 2018, 20:56

Maybe it would be sensible to first buy a special screwdriver to be able to open the case (like this one: https://smile.amazon.de/gp/product/B001 ... UTF8&psc=1).
Then you could check the state of the plastic rivets. Maybe they're ok anyway. In this case there isn't much to gain with a screw mod (I guess?).

ghostdawg187

15 Nov 2018, 21:07

AJM wrote: Then you could check the state of the plastic rivets. Maybe they're ok anyway. In this case there isn't much to gain with a screw mod (I guess?).
That is a good idea! Maybe first of all I have to check the current status of the rivets. But anyway; how much can I gain with a screw mod while the rivets have not fallen off yet?

ghostdawg187

15 Nov 2018, 21:15

mind_prepared wrote: I don't see why anybody who's not on welfare would do that for less than 50 bucks - and 50 bucks is asking too much of course...
I think that 50 bucks seem quite reasonable, at least for someone who is a quite gifted and experienced "screw modder" ;)

But of course I know there is no guarantee and still some risk that the keyboard might not work anymore after a mod.

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 Nov 2018, 03:09

ghostdawg187 wrote:
I think that 50 bucks seem quite reasonable, at least for someone who is a quite gifted and experienced "screw modder"
$50 would be a minimum price and you should take it if you can find someone to do it for that.

A "screw" mod is vastly easier than a "bolt" mod, assuming that you are not peeling the internal layers apart, and there would be very little risk involved.

wobbled

16 Nov 2018, 10:46

Definitely open the case and check the rivets beforehand. Its also worth mentioning that you can do partial bolt mods by drilling straight through the rivets and putting a bolt and nut or screw through it (no disassembly required) but obviously there's always a risk of something going wrong

Half-Saint

16 Nov 2018, 11:49

Hi, I could do it for you. I have the required tools and have modded model M boards before.

mind_prepared

16 Nov 2018, 21:12

I think all this young man needs is a little encouragement and he will be able to do it himself...

Return to “Want to buy”