Anybody selling an IBM Space saving Keyboard (SSK)?

Cherryisgarbage

17 Nov 2018, 04:38

The IBM SSK is such a BASED keyboard, but there is only one person selling a US version for $200. Does anybody out there have an IBM SSK that they're willing to sell for less than $200 USD?
Last edited by Cherryisgarbage on 17 Nov 2018, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

mind_prepared

17 Nov 2018, 17:53

Cherryisgarbage wrote: Does anybody out there have an IBM SSK that they're willing to sell for less than $200 USD?
haha, that's a good one! why not 'for less than $20'? And don't forget to ask for a free G80-5000 while you're negotiating the final price...get outa here! ;p

hansichen

17 Nov 2018, 17:59

mind_prepared wrote:
Cherryisgarbage wrote: Does anybody out there have an IBM SSK that they're willing to sell for less than $200 USD?
haha, that's a good one! why not 'for less than $20'? And don't forget to ask for a free G80-5000 while you're negotiating the final price...get outa here! ;p
Why so mean? Just cause you sell your stuff at horrendous prices there is nothing bad with asking for a fair deal. There were SSK auctions ending for around 120$ and currently 175-200$ is fair for a non restored SSK in the USA imo. So why not buy from someone in the community rather than buying from some random ebay guy?

green-squid

17 Nov 2018, 18:05

mind_prepared wrote:
Hey man that's shitty to say

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

17 Nov 2018, 18:08

hansichen wrote:
mind_prepared wrote:
Why so mean? Just cause you sell your stuff at horrendous prices there is nothing bad with asking for a fair deal. There were SSK auctions ending for around 120$ and currently 175-200$ is fair for a non restored SSK in the USA imo. So why not buy from someone in the community rather than buying from some random ebay guy?
True! I would gladly sell my SSK for $200 to this guy if I wasn't so in love with it.

Cherryisgarbage

17 Nov 2018, 18:39

Okay guys, I get it, this guy's a dick, but can everybody stop talking about this and just reply If you find one for sale or want to sell one?

fohat
Elder Messenger

17 Nov 2018, 19:53

I thought that the going rate was around $250 these days.

What is a "BASED" keyboard?

Laser
emacs -nw

17 Nov 2018, 19:55

Probably he means it's a basic keyboard, ... and he also seems somewhat entitled to own one. I can suggest a "normal" IBM Model M? I mean, it's better than basic, and at the same time, cheaper!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

17 Nov 2018, 19:56

It's teenager speak for "cool"

hansichen

17 Nov 2018, 19:56

fohat wrote: I thought that the going rate was around $250 these days.

I'd say these days are over. Here is a good condition one with cable:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253817948421

Dingster

17 Nov 2018, 20:19

snacksthecat wrote: It's teenager speak for "cool"
No one outside of 4chan uses that lmao

Slom

17 Nov 2018, 20:39

Cherryisgarbage wrote:
Okay guys, I get it, this guy's a dick ...?
He is not, it just that the younger people have forgotten what smiley are actually used for ;P

wobbled

18 Nov 2018, 00:25

I got a joking sorta vibe from him, not a dickish one. Ya'll need to chill

mind_prepared

18 Nov 2018, 02:58

obviously some of you guys aren't used to sarcasm. Look it up in the dictionary.
hansichen wrote: Just cause you sell your stuff at horrendous prices there is nothing bad with asking for a fair deal.
yea, right, my prices are horrendous, but $170-$200 for a board some dude probably pulled out of a garbage can is fair and square...X( Sorry, but I can't wrap my head around the logic behind that, if there is any.

zrrion

18 Nov 2018, 03:03

If you can't wrap your head around it then youre going to have to start checking garbage cans instead of eBay.

fohat
Elder Messenger

18 Nov 2018, 03:37

In a free market the definition of a fair price is what the highest bidder is willing to pay for something today.

Cherryisgarbage

18 Nov 2018, 06:08

wobbled wrote: I got a joking sorta vibe from him, not a dickish one. Ya'll need to chill
yes

Cherryisgarbage

18 Nov 2018, 06:21

mind_prepared wrote: obviously some of you guys aren't used to sarcasm. Look it up in the dictionary.
hansichen wrote: Just cause you sell your stuff at horrendous prices there is nothing bad with asking for a fair deal.
yea, right, my prices are horrendous, but $170-$200 for a board some dude probably pulled out of a garbage can is fair and square...X( Sorry, but I can't wrap my head around the logic behind that, if there is any.
wow... I can't even comprehend the level of mindfuckery needed to make an argument for something like this. Just because somebody threw out an old keyboard because they didn't know how much it is worth. the people who make these kind of arguments are the same people who say "yogurt is just old milk" or "diamonds are worthless, they're used on table saws." fuck off and thanks for ruining this thread.

Cherryisgarbage

18 Nov 2018, 06:23

Laser wrote: Probably he means it's a basic keyboard, ... and he also seems somewhat entitled to own one. I can suggest a "normal" IBM Model M? I mean, it's better than basic, and at the same time, cheaper!
Based means cool. If I thought it was basic, I would have just bought a model M.

Cherryisgarbage

18 Nov 2018, 06:28

snacksthecat wrote: It's teenager speak for "cool"
fohat wrote: I thought that the going rate was around $250 these days.

scottc

18 Nov 2018, 11:42

This is a BASED thread

madrobby

18 Nov 2018, 15:00

Well, you can likely get one for $5...
...if you spend two years going to at least one garage sale and flea market a week and are super lucky.

Or you can buy one for the going rate online. And fwiw it’s possible (and even likely) that prices will eventually go down again.

That said, you can get lucky on eBay as well, especially if you’re willing to buy a bundle of stuff. I recently acquired a SSK in good working order as part of a computer (PS/2 Model 25), for about $200 total. Note that I snagged this up a few minutes after it was listed, so you need to invest time to set up searches, monitor them and be really quick when something eventually shows up. I’m using an app called “BayWatch” for iOS that can give you near real-time alerts on listed items, but it’s only worth it when you’re a collector of something (it’s $25/year).

And yet another way: go to meetups, both mechanical keyboards people and to vintage computer stuff (e.g. VCF East and West in the US) and make friends. Perhaps someone sometime will trade a board with you, or has an extra one that they want in good hands and not some eBay rando. :)

TL;DR for highly sought-after items you need to invest time or money to get them, and sometimes you need both.

Cherryisgarbage

18 Nov 2018, 17:43

mind_prepared wrote: obviously some of you guys aren't used to sarcasm. Look it up in the dictionary.
wow... I can't even comprehend the level of mindfuckery needed to make an argument for something like this. Just because somebody threw out an old keyboard because they didn't know how much it is worth doesn't mean it is worthless. the people who make these kind of arguments are the same people who say "yogurt is just old milk" or "diamonds are worthless, they're used on table saws." fuck off and thanks for ruining this thread.
Last edited by Cherryisgarbage on 18 Nov 2018, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

Cherryisgarbage

18 Nov 2018, 17:52

madrobby wrote: Well, you can likely get one for $5...
...if you spend two years going to at least one garage sale and flea market a week and are super lucky.

Or you can buy one for the going rate online. And fwiw it’s possible (and even likely) that prices will eventually go down again.

That said, you can get lucky on eBay as well, especially if you’re willing to buy a bundle of stuff. I recently acquired a SSK in good working order as part of a computer (PS/2 Model 25), for about $200 total. Note that I snagged this up a few minutes after it was listed, so you need to invest time to set up searches, monitor them and be really quick when something eventually shows up. I’m using an app called “BayWatch” for iOS that can give you near real-time alerts on listed items, but it’s only worth it when you’re a collector of something (it’s $25/year).

And yet another way: go to meetups, both mechanical keyboards people and to vintage computer stuff (e.g. VCF East and West in the US) and make friends. Perhaps someone sometime will trade a board with you, or has an extra one that they want in good hands and not some eBay rando. :)

TL;DR for highly sought-after items you need to invest time or money to get them, and sometimes you need both.
Thanks for the advice :) . the only problem with this is that I live in the Dallas, Texas area, and the only thrift store that is still open and sells electronics is goodwill computer, and that is 30 miles away from me. There are plenty of garage sales, but most don't have any keyboards or electronics. I would love to go to a convention or meeting, but I don't know any.

mind_prepared

18 Nov 2018, 18:37

madrobby wrote:
heh, that was totally my point, too. The thread starter has an attitude problem and no sense of humor, apparently. He wants a super rare item - but he doesn't want to spend a lot of time on hunting down a board at a reasonable price, he wants others to make offers, which, generally speaking, is never the way to go if you're trying to save a buck or two. And when the futility of his attempt is pointed out to him, he gets all wound up and starts bitching around. Sheesh, have patience and stay on the look out and you'll find a good deal at some point sooner or later - much more likely than a good deal finding you, imho. Nuff said.

stratokaster

18 Nov 2018, 18:45

Apparently I missed the point when this place became just a division of Reddit :?

Dingster

18 Nov 2018, 19:35

stratokaster wrote: Apparently I missed the point when this place became just a division of Reddit :?
thats why im of the opinion that reddit is an actually cesspool, full of people with their heads too far up their asses.

DatOtherJosh

18 Nov 2018, 22:51

get one from Xianyu (a second hand site under taobao), 200 should be just enough for the keyboard and shipping

Cherryisgarbage

19 Nov 2018, 00:05

mind_prepared wrote:
madrobby wrote:
heh, that was totally my point, too.
on which post? what you said was:
mind_prepared wrote: haha, that's a good one! why not 'for less than $20'? And don't forget to ask for a free G80-5000 while you're negotiating the final price...get outa here! ;p
saying that I was asking for a keyboard for too cheap, even though I found a listing online for $200 and other users have found it for less.
mind_prepared wrote: yea, right, my prices are horrendous, but $170-$200 for a board some dude probably pulled out of a garbage can is fair and square...X( Sorry, but I can't wrap my head around the logic behind that, if there is any.
saying that your prices are fair and that somehow because something was found in the trash means it is worthless, which is the exact opposite of what madrobby said.
mind_prepared wrote: The thread starter has an attitude problem and no sense of humor, apparently. He wants a super rare item - but he doesn't want to spend a lot of time on hunting down a board at a reasonable price, he wants others to make offers, which, generally speaking, is never the way to go if you're trying to save a buck or two. And when the futility of his attempt is pointed out to him, he gets all wound up and starts bitching around. Sheesh, have patience and stay on the look out and you'll find a good deal at some point sooner or later - much more likely than a good deal finding you, imho. Nuff said.
I am willing to spend more time and money finding it, otherwise I would just buy a model M, and wouldn't even bother posting here. I don't know what the point of this board is if letting other people make offers is bad. am I just supposed to tell them to sell it at the price I want?

Cherryisgarbage

19 Nov 2018, 00:18

DatOtherJosh wrote: get one from Xianyu (a second hand site under taobao), 200 should be just enough for the keyboard and shipping
is it 2.taobao.com ? I don't know how to search on that site, can you help me out?

Return to “Want to buy”