Unpopular keyboard opinions

Wodan
ISO Advocate

03 Dec 2018, 13:48

heh ... I always felt ps/2 is the hot, complicated diva you dream of but USB is the down to earth girl next door you marry.

samuelcable

03 Dec 2018, 13:49

matt3o wrote:
Ralph_IT wrote: Mine:
PS/2 is clearly better than USB.
that's not unpopular. that's just the Truth
It has benifits that are nice but I just use it because it frees up a usb port :o

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

03 Dec 2018, 13:56

matt3o wrote: the enter key is overrated
How could you be so cruel? :cry: I thought you knew how I feel about RPN calculators...

:lol:

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

03 Dec 2018, 13:58

matt3o wrote:
To hell with scancodes, keyboard controllers, and wire protocols. True hackers expose the keyboard matrix directly as a bitstream and interpret it in kernel space with a custom device driver.

Ralph_IT

03 Dec 2018, 14:02

samuelcable wrote:
matt3o wrote:
It has benifits that are nice but I just use it because it frees up a usb port :o
It is unpopular for the 99,99% people outside this forum, then. :mrgreen:
Just watch their faces as they stare at that rounded connector they never seen before/heard of... :roll:

codemonkeymike

03 Dec 2018, 14:12

matt3o wrote:
PS/2 ports are the worst, basically impossible to plug in without looking and they are slower then a high polling rate on a USB port.

samuelcable

03 Dec 2018, 14:59

I like un-stepped caps lock for some reason. i understand the uses of a stepped caps lock but i personally never have problems accidentlaly pressing it so its more useful for me to have it unstepped

but og cherry caps are stepped so i use stepped anyways :lol:

also it seems atleast a little unpopular to like heavy spacebars but i honestly cant live without heavy spaces at this point, i always build my boards with a ~10 or ~20g heavier spacebar if i use cherry mx

Muirium
µ

03 Dec 2018, 15:34

PS/2 is demonic to plug in. But USB is satanic! Never Ever EVER NEVER the right bloody way up!

__red__

03 Dec 2018, 15:38

Muirium wrote: PS/2 is demonic to plug in. But USB is satanic! Never Ever EVER NEVER the right bloody way up!
Sure it is, you just need to make sure you try all three orientations.

My unpopular opinion?

Keyboards should be network attached. Yes, my keyboard should go to my GigE switch, not my computer.

stratokaster

03 Dec 2018, 15:45

__red__ wrote: My unpopular opinion?

Keyboards should be network attached. Yes, my keyboard should go to my GigE switch, not my computer.
That would be a nice way to drive input latency even higher.

__red__

03 Dec 2018, 15:48

stratokaster wrote:
__red__ wrote: That would be a nice way to drive input latency even higher.
That's an implementation detail.

depletedvespene

03 Dec 2018, 17:23

__red__ wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
__red__ wrote: I'm 100% with you on the backtab and the AltGR key.

Sell me on ScrollLock. What do you use it for such that it demands a primary key?
It's useful for anything that has a large working area of which the monitor only displays a small part of (a spreadsheet is the quintessential example). Yes, it has fallen out of favor with the "cool kids", but it still is quite useful; I think that if text editors at their time had made proper use of it at their time, it'd be commonly used now.
That doesn't help me since I don't know what the key does other than affect flow-control on some terminal lines.

What do you use it for?
I use the Scroll Lock key to lock the scroll. :mrgreen:

Now, the serious answer: in the scroll lock mode, the cursor stays at its relative position, while the "viewing window" moves around; this is easiest to see on a spreadsheet, like Excel (or Quattro, or Visicalc, etc.).

depletedvespene

03 Dec 2018, 17:28

__red__ wrote:
stratokaster wrote:
__red__ wrote: That would be a nice way to drive input latency even higher.
That's an implementation detail.
And how exactly will you "press F1 to continue" when the network fails?

depletedvespene

03 Dec 2018, 19:00

Ok, I can't hold it any longer.

I really dislike the Hyper 7 build. Yes, it looks imposing. Yes, it looks cool. But look at its layout with anything more than a quick glance, and it falls apart disastrously (YMMV). It would have been much better (YMMV) had some thought be put into the layout rather than seemingly making a ginormous alphanum block surrounded by two numpads on steroids, neither of which seems to have been designed with usability as a factor (YMMV).

Could we just do an Hyper 6½, with a better layout?

__red__

03 Dec 2018, 19:11

depletedvespene wrote: And how exactly will you "press F1 to continue" when the network fails?
That's an implementation detail. :lol:

abrahamstechnology

03 Dec 2018, 21:33

Artisans are pointless.
$200+ USD for yet another generic HHKB knockoff 60% keyboard case is stupid.
I like Tai-Hao keycaps.
The AT101W is underrated and should come back.

depletedvespene

03 Dec 2018, 21:35

Ok, we should definitely separate this thread into "unpopular opinions" and "unpopular opinions among members of DT", 'cause I don't foresee many people in this thread disagreeing with "Artisans are pointless.". :mrgreen:

AJM

03 Dec 2018, 23:48

samuelcable wrote: I like un-stepped caps lock for some reason. i understand the uses of a stepped caps lock but i personally never have problems accidentlaly pressing it so its more useful for me to have it unstepped ...
Actually, I don't understand the use of a stepped caps lock key at all.
If the reason is that you shouldn't accidentally press it - while trying to hit A: Why only this one key. You could press every key accidentally. Should we therefore make every key stepped that sits around every key, that could be pressed accidentally? That's a lot of steps.
Besides - the A key is one of the home keys for touch typing, so it's one of the 8 keys, which are most unlikely to get missed.

zrrion

04 Dec 2018, 01:54

not everyone homerow types, but for me personally, I like how stepped keys look. Keys that are stepped, are weird shapes, and have weird legends are all very good, just so long as they don't have homing bumps. (homing dots are on thin ice)

PlacaFromHell

04 Dec 2018, 02:26

Alps SKCL/SKCM are pure garbage. BRING 'EM ON!

zrrion

04 Dec 2018, 02:50

how do you feel about skbm? :v

PlacaFromHell

04 Dec 2018, 04:18

I have not tried them yet :roll: I can't trust in a switch that varies in feeling because YOLO, my Apple Standard Keyboard was a great keyboard sometimes and sometimes a piece of shit. I still can't explain how the fuck a switch can be so sensitive to things like temperature and humidity. It's more easy to understand a pregnant woman with BDP :evil:

samuelcable

04 Dec 2018, 05:14

sorry for posting in this thread so much but i have one more small one

i like mod coloured backslash and tilde on ansi layout custom caps
i know that they arent mods by any means and that bothers many people but i really dig the way it looks

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2018, 10:34

Same here. Visual symmetry wins. (And I like to use it as Backspace anyway.)

AJM

04 Dec 2018, 13:20

zrrion wrote: not everyone homerow types, but for me personally, I like how stepped keys look. Keys that are stepped, are weird shapes, and have weird legends are all very good, just so long as they don't have homing bumps. (homing dots are on thin ice)
I agree completely. I like stepped keys in general, too. (The Model F XT is my favourite keyboard, after all.)
But WHY use a stepped CapsLock on a keyboard, where all other keys are not stepped. What makes Capslock so much more "dangerous" than all the other keys?

depletedvespene

04 Dec 2018, 13:23

AJM wrote: But WHY use a stepped CapsLock on a keyboard, where all other keys are not stepped. What makes Capslock so much more "dangerous" than all the other keys?
Gee, I cAN'T THINK OF any reASON FOR SUCH a thing to hAPPEN.

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2018, 13:24

yOU bEAT mE tO tHE pUNCHLINE1

AJM

04 Dec 2018, 13:36

Yeah, well, if you're so clumsy, why only with key A?
So your response should read:

FGwewem, UI xcABN'RT RTGHUIBNJK IODF abny erweAASIOBN DFIOER ASYUXCGH a rtghuibnfg rtio ghAOPOPwEbN.

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2018, 13:42

The actual complaint is that caps lock is a (logical) latch, not an instantaneous key. You can brush against Shift accidentally, with no harm, but Caps Lock has a MIND OF ITS…

depletedvespene

04 Dec 2018, 13:49

While my left pinky finger is quite the ADVENTUROUS CHap, the remAINING DIGITS IN MY Hands ARE Rather disciplined AND WELL-BEHaved. ThANKS FOR asking, mAN.

I gottA MENTION THat I'm thANKFUL THat modern computers replACED THE SHIFT LOCK KEY FROM TYPEWRITERS WITH THE Caps Lock — progrAMMING WOULD BE Way more difficult for me otherwise.

Return to “Off-topic”