Alps Appreciation

abrahamstechnology

21 Nov 2018, 00:35

Blaise170 wrote: For what it's worth, Matias just made an update in the 60% thread on Geekhack that PBT keycap creation is finally finishing up. I'll believe it when I see it, but I actually believe that he is close.
Dyesubbed?

Elrick

21 Nov 2018, 00:52

abrahamstechnology wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: For what it's worth, Matias just made an update in the 60% thread on Geekhack that PBT keycap creation is finally finishing up. I'll believe it when I see it, but I actually believe that he is close.
Dyesubbed?
Geez, really hoping he'll sell the PBT key-sets separately. That alone could earn a tidy profit for him.

Let's hope it happens sooner rather than later.

abrahamstechnology

21 Nov 2018, 01:07

I wish Tai-Hao would fire up more of their old Alps molds, only 3 sets with limited options aren't very satisfactory.

Meanwhile they have every Cherry size you could imagine (except a Wyse 9.75u spacebar...)

Elrick

21 Nov 2018, 01:36

abrahamstechnology wrote: I wish Tai-Hao would fire up more of their old Alps molds, only 3 sets with limited options aren't very satisfactory.

Meanwhile they have every Cherry size you could imagine (except a Wyse 9.75u spacebar...)
Agreed BUT it comes down to what ships out quickly and clears existing stocks fast. Suspect the Cherry molded keys all rush out of their warehouse far quicker than any of the Alps caps (my guess here).

So for Tai Hao they must produce stuff that sells, horrid aspect of doing business these days.

Hypersphere

21 Nov 2018, 15:54

Hasn't selling stuff (goods and/or services) always been the definition of doing business?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

26 Nov 2018, 02:45

abrahamstechnology wrote:
Dyesubbed?
Yeah and he said that they should fit most layouts and will be sold separately. Hopefully we will see more than just white on black keys, assuming that we even see those anyways.

madrobby

02 Dec 2018, 04:26

Stumbled upon this Northgate ad from 1991. The number one feature in their bullet points: Alps switches!
D830A07D-D23B-4DDB-96B1-879D9AF50995.jpeg
D830A07D-D23B-4DDB-96B1-879D9AF50995.jpeg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 5764 times

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

02 Dec 2018, 05:41

madrobby wrote: Stumbled upon this Northgate ad from 1991. The number one feature in their bullet points: Alps switches!
As it should be! =P

Man, omnikeys really are one of the best alps boards out there.

Elrick

02 Dec 2018, 10:52

//gainsborough wrote:
madrobby wrote: Stumbled upon this Northgate ad from 1991. The number one feature in their bullet points: Alps switches!
As it should be! =P

The very best of American Manufacturing, when it was ON like Donkey Kong - besides running the WAR Machine 24/7.

Hypersphere

02 Dec 2018, 14:53

//gainsborough wrote:
As it should be! =P

Yes, indeed! The Omnikey 101 with ANSI layout is my favorite Alps-switch keyboard to refurbish and convert to USB. The case is roomy enough for a Teensy and internal cabling, and the PS/2 connector can be replaced with a micro-USB connector that aligns perfectly with the pre-drilled holes. Moreover, these boards have robust construction that easily withstands disassembly and reassembly without having the screw mounts fall apart.

In contrast, although I like many things about Zenith boards, I have to be careful refurbishing them because the cases are often very brittle and the screw mounts can crack during reassembly.

madrobby

02 Dec 2018, 20:53

Love this Zeos branded NTC KB-6251. It’s crazy how you can instantly tell that an old keyboard has Alps switches in it. Feel great.
62F1D170-5C01-4422-80BC-6454A0661507.jpeg
62F1D170-5C01-4422-80BC-6454A0661507.jpeg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 5715 times

Mattr567

04 Dec 2018, 03:55

Better red than dead :twisted:

AlpsComeback

04 Dec 2018, 03:57

Oooooh what are those keycaps? They look pretty awesome

Mattr567

04 Dec 2018, 03:58

AlpsComeback wrote: Oooooh what are those keycaps? They look pretty awesome
HP's 8-)

Dyesub PBT.

AlpsComeback

04 Dec 2018, 04:09

That's what I thought. Do the keyboards these come with have genuine ALPS switches?

abrahamstechnology

04 Dec 2018, 04:19

We ought to do a Tai-Hao Cubic Alps group buy. I think Tai-Hao's MOQ is 500 sets.

Mattr567

04 Dec 2018, 04:55

AlpsComeback wrote: That's what I thought. Do the keyboards these come with have genuine ALPS switches?
Yes, the very same SKCM Creams in the build :lol:

Used the original plate too :roll:

flowerlandfilms

04 Dec 2018, 13:40

Mattr567 wrote: Better red than dead :twisted:

Those colours are badass and the Shift arrow is from the future.
I like it.

Myoth

04 Dec 2018, 15:51

madrobby wrote:Stumbled upon this Northgate ad from 1991. The number one feature in their bullet points: Alps switches!
ha! so it is ALPS and not Alps :lol:

Chyros

04 Dec 2018, 16:00

Myoth wrote:
madrobby wrote:Stumbled upon this Northgate ad from 1991. The number one feature in their bullet points: Alps switches!
ha! so it is ALPS and not Alps :lol:
Just like it's actually CHERRY instead of Cherry? ;p

kakan

06 Dec 2018, 09:49

Just got a special package from Pizza_is_lie who helped me with the shipping, thanks! :D

It's an alps clone calculator that can be hooked up to your computer also, I've been searching for this one for a while as it has been discontinued.

It seems like its using Xiang Min KSB-C switches with an good tactility. It comes prelubed but the clicky leaf adds a lot of scratchiness and some are from the housing itself.

keycap

10 Dec 2018, 17:59

does this thread also apply for SMK alps mount?

I AM IN LOVE WITH THEM

HzFaq

15 Dec 2018, 15:01

Muirium wrote: I don't post great finds very often. So listen up!
Spoiler:
Muirium wrote: How do you fancy some NeXT keyboards? Here's a bunch, in America. I just bought 6. Well, 1 for me and the others for a little group buy. The seller actually has ANSI, Spanish and German (and I think maybe French) boards available. I got in touch with him and had them merged into a single sale so I could bundle my shipping.

Here you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NeXT-Non-ADB-Ke ... 2013376624

Warning: the Non-ADB boards are the good ones with Alps. The seller also has the later model, but they aren't mechs:

Fortunately, Hasu has non-ADB NeXT keyboard support built into TMK, so they are convertible quite easily! The caps are quite nice thick doubleshots. Here's our good old pal Ripster on the subject:

http://imgur.com/a/RvxtF

Hasu also makes some rather nice converters for these himself:
DanielT wrote:NeXT-USB

Just plug it in and that's it. Comes with the matching socket for Non-ADB connector and TMK firmware, which is a beauty.
I had limited space so I organised a little GB with a few of my fellow regulars. But we're all sorted now, so it's open season on these boards if you fancy.

The seller actually has a mountain of NeXT stuff:
I bought out the inventory of Bell Atlantic long ago , they were NeXT's repair service so I have stacks and stacks wrapped up in newspaper in boxes stored in my dry storage area... I actually have around 1000 NeXT computers here kind of fun.
My thanks to HzFaq for pointing me this guy's way. Hopefully he's good at wrapping! I'll nag my brother for some pics of our boards once they arrive.
3 years later and I got a new toy today :D. Need to figure out what I'm going to do with the thing now...trying to cut down, although this will be my first new board in years.

edit - forgot this.

Hypersphere

16 Dec 2018, 18:03

I have a NeXT non-ADB in US ANSI layout. I like the form factor and overall appearance. The Hasu converter works well, and I was able to remap the board to a HHKB-ish layout. Minor quibbles: the case is a fingerprint magnet, and I prefer clicky Alps switches.

abrahamstechnology

16 Dec 2018, 21:11

Hua-Jie is sending me some samples of their AK-CN2 Alps clones, they should be here by Monday.

HzFaq

17 Dec 2018, 09:37

Hypersphere wrote: I have a NeXT non-ADB in US ANSI layout. I like the form factor and overall appearance. The Hasu converter works well, and I was able to remap the board to a HHKB-ish layout. Minor quibbles: the case is a fingerprint magnet, and I prefer clicky Alps switches.
Was saying to Mu earlier, if I do get it converted it will be with an off the shelf Hasu converter; I have nothing to prove by making one myself and the time saved is worth the money spent IMO.

The switches are more or less new blacks, not sure which flavor black, but they feel much nicer than the ones I've tried previously. Layout isn't really an issue as, like you, I'd stick my own custom one on it, only slight issue could be only 2 mods either side of space bar so I'd be missing a windows key, but as it's unlikely I'd use it for any "real" work it isn't much of an issue.

Hypersphere

17 Dec 2018, 19:49

@HzFaq: I use the NeXT layout for the Win/Cmd and Alt/Option keys on each side of the spacebar, even though I rarely use Win/Cmd. I find that a single Ctrl is sufficient, and I always map this to the traditional Caps Lock position to the left of the "A" key.

abrahamstechnology

17 Dec 2018, 19:54

I got my AK-CN2 samples. I think in terms of sound and tactility, they blow Matiases out of the water.

Matias needs to trash their rattly polycarbonate housings, since in the 6 years they've been out, not one company has built an RGB keyboard with them, plus you ought to have a desk lamp at your desk anyway.

Hypersphere

17 Dec 2018, 20:02

abrahamstechnology wrote: I got my AK-CN2 samples. I think in terms of sound and tactility, they blow Matiases out of the water.

Matias needs to trash their rattly polycarbonate housings, since in the 6 years they've been out, not one company has built an RGB keyboard with them, plus you ought to have a desk lamp at your desk anyway.
This "sounds" like a significant advance! Would you be able to put the switches into some sort of tester, perhaps along with some Matias and SKCM Alps so that you could post a comparative video with sound?

Tell us more about these switches! Have they been modified since the ones that are described in the DT wiki (as found in the SIIG Minitouch, for example)? Many thanks.

abrahamstechnology

17 Dec 2018, 20:58

Hypersphere wrote:
abrahamstechnology wrote: I got my AK-CN2 samples. I think in terms of sound and tactility, they blow Matiases out of the water.

This "sounds" like a significant advance! Would you be able to put the switches into some sort of tester, perhaps along with some Matias and SKCM Alps so that you could post a comparative video with sound?

Tell us more about these switches! Have they been modified since the ones that are described in the DT wiki (as found in the SIIG Minitouch, for example)? Many thanks.
I think these are the same as the Minitouch's, although they cold have changed over the years, but I don't have a Minitouch to compare them.

Return to “Keyboards”