Problem with WYSE Keyboards

PlacaFromHell

04 Dec 2018, 23:56

Hello. Everytime I connect one of my WYSE keyboards with a Soarer's converter to my PC, there is no response from them. Only the leds work when I unplug it and plug it again. Both are the "normal layout" model, one in ANSI and the other in ISO.
I tried with two different converters and everytime it's the same. :(

mxgian99

05 Dec 2018, 21:38

are you debugging it at all?

if you use hid_listen, it will show you if any keys are being sent.
if you use QMK toolbox, it will also show if the converter is attached and if any keys are being detected.

has any of these combos worked in the past?

PlacaFromHell

05 Dec 2018, 22:57

Debugging what? Should be "plug and play", I just loaded the program to my Arduino.
Hid_listen detects the converter but any scan code from the keyboard. What misses me is the part of "Code Set: 1 Mode: PC/XT".

I'm sure I loaded the correct firmware, not the "all purpose" converter for XT's and other stuff.

abrahamstechnology

05 Dec 2018, 23:32

Make sure Windows Update isn't trying to search for drivers. This drove me crazy trying to get my first WY-60 working.
If that's not the problem, check the electrolytic capacitor, Wyse liked to use Teapos which are notorious for leaking.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

05 Dec 2018, 23:38

I may be remembering wrong, but I believe you have to flash the microcontroller when the keyboard is detached from it (no clue why). Once it's flashed, plug the keyboard into the microcontroller and plug the microcontroller into the PC.

PlacaFromHell

06 Dec 2018, 00:04

abrahamstechnology wrote: Make sure Windows Update isn't trying to search for drivers. This drove me crazy trying to get my first WY-60 working.
If that's not the problem, check the electrolytic capacitor, Wyse liked to use Teapos which are notorious for leaking.
All capacitors working in the two keyboards :cry:
snacksthecat wrote: I may be remembering wrong, but I believe you have to flash the microcontroller when the keyboard is detached from it (no clue why). Once it's flashed, plug the keyboard into the microcontroller and plug the microcontroller into the PC.
Is exactly what I do everytime I build a converter.

mxgian99

06 Dec 2018, 02:15

the code sets the initial map for translation: set 1 = XT, set2=AT, set2ext=PS/2 and set3=122, but these should be auto-detected by Soarer and set based on the keyboard-id, it looks like your Soarer is not detecting and ID.

take a look at the trouble-shooting section in the documentation, there are some tips to troubleshoot keyboard id.

also asking again, did these work before or is this the first time you tested this? if first time, how sure are you that the keyboards were working before you got them?

PlacaFromHell

06 Dec 2018, 07:34

I'm not sure if they were working before, at least the ANSI one was in great condition until I took apart the controller (I will just make a controller for it). The same problem in two boards? It's possible, but AT LEAST strange. Also look at this:

I went to the market and found this after back to home.

PS: it does the same when I move the cable. Maybe worn contacts?

PS2: is not the cable, keeps doing it even when nobody is touching it.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

06 Dec 2018, 15:32

can you please run scinfo.exe and show the output?

PlacaFromHell

07 Dec 2018, 03:02

Sorry for the weird picture, it closes really fast for some reason.

xxhellfirexx

07 Dec 2018, 06:58

PlacaFromHell wrote: Sorry for the weird picture, it closes really fast for some reason.
If you find the window closes fast, open a command prompt window and then drag the executable onto the window to run it.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

07 Dec 2018, 12:18

PlacaFromHell wrote: Sorry for the weird picture, it closes really fast for some reason.

It looks like you flashed it with Soarer's AT/XT converter. You need you flash it instead with Soarer's Wyse converter (which is different). It should look like this:

Here's the link to his Wyse converter:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52597.0

PlacaFromHell

08 Dec 2018, 22:06

I can't erase the actual converter from my board :( If I find the way I'll try.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

08 Dec 2018, 22:12

You certainly can re-flash your pro micro. Follow these basic steps to do it.
  1. Get whatever program you're using to flash it (e.g. avrdude) ready to go but don't flash it yet
  2. Plug the promicro into the computer
  3. Relatively quickly, short the ground pin to the reset pin twice
  4. Then hit flash on the program you're using
If it doesn't work the first time, you may need to repeat these steps a few times. But I feel you absolutely will be able to get it eventually.

I'll see if I can make a quick video to show you.

PlacaFromHell

08 Dec 2018, 22:17

Arduino isn't letting me select the port, I think it is because "I don't have" any board connected to my PC. Very strange, never happened before.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

08 Dec 2018, 22:38

Use avrdude. It will seem harder since it's command line but it's actually pretty simple and you only have to change one thing in the command.
  1. Download avrdude (http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releas ... -win32.zip)
  2. Drop the exe into the same folder where you have the Soarer's wyse converter hex file
  3. Plug the pro micro into the computer
  4. Open device manager and expand the "Ports" section
  5. On the pro micro, short the ground pin to the reset pin once
  6. Device manager will refresh and show your pro micro COM port in parenthesis. Note down what port it says
  7. Open up a command prompt
  8. Navigate to the directory where you have avrdude and the hex file
  9. type out the following command avrdude.exe -p atmega32u4 -P COM4 -c avr109 -U flash:w:Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4.hex (where mine says "COM4", put your COM port that you got from device manager). Don't hit enter yet.
  10. Short ground the ground pin to the reset pin twice
  11. Hit enter on the command prompt to execute the command
Video coming shortly.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

08 Dec 2018, 23:25

PlacaFromHell

09 Dec 2018, 03:04

First at all, thanks for all your help. I used the same avrdude when I was building my first converter and always failed. I tried it again today but it was the same. To fix the Arduino IDE problem I just connected an Arduino nano board and flashed it with empty code to get the lines I need. Then, just did the same as you but using this:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Franco\Desktop\PASTAVASE\HERRAMIENTAS\arduino-1.8.5\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\Franco\Desktop\PASTAVASE\HERRAMIENTAS\arduino-1.8.5\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM12 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Franco\Desktop\avrdude-5.11-Patch7610-win32\Soarer_WYSEverter_v1.30_atmega32u4.hex.hex:i
I start to think that the real problem here is my board.

ThePillenwerfer

09 Dec 2018, 04:39

I'm no expert and you're braver than me to be doing it on Windows; I use Linux for this type of thing.

Even then I still had trouble when I made my Soarer's Converter and found that if I re-named the file called .avrduderc to something else AVRDude then worked fine. See if there's a similar file on the Windows version. If there is and you rename it, it doesn't matter what to, I THINK this is what you need:—

C:\Users\Franco\Desktop\PASTAVASE\HERRAMIENTAS\arduino-1.8.5\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -v -p atmega32u4 -P COM12  -c avr109  -U flash:w:C:\Users\Franco\Desktop\avrdude-5.11-Patch7610-win32\Soarer_WYSEverter_v1.30_atmega32u4.hex:i
As for the command you tried I can see a couple of things wrong. Firstly you're telling it to program an ATMega328p, which is what a Nano has, not an ATMega32U4 as used by the Pro Micro. Also you've got an extra .hex at the end of the filename to flash.

PlacaFromHell

09 Dec 2018, 05:32

The extra .hex is because Arduino do the same (I don't know why), I had to leave it like that the first time. Let's see what happen replacing the ATmega328p.

EDIT: Same error :lol:

EDIT2: Okay, all working now. Here is the ultimate code:

C:\Users\Franco\Desktop\PASTAVASE\HERRAMIENTAS\arduino-1.8.5\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\Franco\Desktop\PASTAVASE\HERRAMIENTAS\arduino-1.8.5\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -PCOM12 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Franco\Desktop\avrdude-5.11-Patch7610-win32\Soarer_WYSEverter_v1.30_atmega32u4.hex.hex:i

Just smashed all the code from this post with the code of my own tutorial other-languages-f12/como-hacer-un-soare ... 18982.html

EDIT3: the keyboard is acting the same as before :lol:

PlacaFromHell

13 Dec 2018, 00:09

Well, the entire controller looks fried, there is continuity between most of the pins. Let's just use a Teensy.

Return to “Workshop”