Ortek MCK-101FX keyboard

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

16 Dec 2018, 01:14

Hi guys,
I picked up this keyboard and I'd like to put some different switches and caps on it. I'll probably retrobrite it as well since it's a bit yellow.

It has a switch on it that changes it between "80286", "8088", and "80306". I'm also interested in playing around with this to see what it does.

Here are some photos of the keyboard:

Anakey

16 Dec 2018, 01:17

The switch is just a usual XT/AT switch. Bamboo white Alps so about 1992-1993 for date of manufacture. Also note that it says made in China wheras the first boards made were in Taiwan

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

16 Dec 2018, 04:34

These are actually clicky clones and feel really really bad. The plate is plastic and I feel like some salmon Alps that I have would feel nice on this keyboard.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

17 Dec 2018, 03:15

I went with salmon Alps. I only had about 80 so I filled the rest in with some green ones that I had left over from another project.

Then the keycap selection process started. I'm happy with how the left side turned out. I'll need to move the stem on the caps lock and needed to trim the rod off the BAE. I'm not happy with how the right side is coming along. I like the arrow keys but all of the other caps are from the original board and look really boring. Oh well, it's a good fallback option if I can't find anything more suiting.

By the way, typing feels great with the nice keycaps, the tactile switches, and the plastic plate.

Return to “Workshop”