Keybug's X-mas donation giveaway (switches, keycaps)

Keybug

16 Dec 2018, 10:18

The 2018 donation giveaway is now closed. Thank you for giving generously.

Greetings, fellow Deskthorians, and welcome to Keybug's great x-mas donation giveaway!

Here's how I would like this to go down - I hope no one objects to this modus operandi.

1. Chose item(s) you want below. You can raise bids to win items bid for by others - bidding battles are in a good cause!

2. Let me know how much you would be willing to donate either to Deskthority, Geekhack or a charity of your choosing to win the item(s). Please specify donation offers per item in case you want more than one. Consider that I will have to cover shipping costs so please be generous in the amount you are going to donate. Minimum donation offer per item is 5€. All items will be sent from Germany. Items may be sent in bag-type packaging to avoid big steps up in shipping costs, any damage incurred during shipping is at your own risk.

3. If no one else puts in a higher donation offer than yours by December 31st, you've won the item.

4. In the new year, send me proof that you've made the donation plus your shipping address and I will send the item(s) at a few days' notice. To be clear, I don't get any money. You donate the full amount, I donate the items and cover shipping costs to honour your donation.

I hope this is clear and acceptable.

Well, here comes the stuff I'm giving away, more will probably be added within the week. As for the switches, none of them have ever been soldered in, most have only been tried out in hot-swappable (holtites-based) keyboards, some not at all, i.e. those are new (see below). Please be aware that the Kailh box switches may harm some types of keycaps, so best not use expensive vintage or artsy caps on them.

Time-stamped photo of the whole lot:
Spoiler:
timestamp2.jpg
timestamp2.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 10452 times
Individual item photos on GDrive

Items from original post:

01. 35 Kailh box jade heavy clicky switches, as new high bid scottc 10€ to Irish Cancer Society
02. 35 Kailh box navy heavy clicky switches, as new high bid Findecanor 10€ to Barncancerfonden
03. 110 Kailh box white heavy clicky switches, as new high bid tentator 30€ to DT
04. 41 Kailh box orange heavy tactile switches, as new
05. 91 Kailh box brown light tactile switches, about one third of these have had a lighter spring swapped in but the original spring has now been swapped back in, the rest is new high bid swampangel 20€ to Mermaids
06. 91 Kailh box black linear switches, as new
07. 90 R8 tactile Zealios (30x 62g, 30x 65g, 30x 78g), new - not even used in holtites high bid nikolai 40€ to DT
08. - see 07.
09. - see 07.
10. Topre mount space bars, 1 blue (slightly used), 1 red (new) high bid AdrianMan 7€ to DT[/list]

Added in first update:

11. thick DS flat profile MX mount ABS typewriter keycaps, German umlauts, great condition high bid swampangel 20€ to Feed Nova Scotia
12. complete set of MX mount RGB modifiers, 32 pieces, new high bid okaboni 50€ to DT
13. complete set of MX mount light / dark grey OG Cherry thick (mods) / thin (other keys) lasered PBT keycaps (G81-3000 harvest), ISO-DE layout
14. around 100 MX clone "Taiwan black stem" clicky switch sliders and springs - quite rare, somewhat like Aristotles, a great opportunity (Chicony 5192 harvest) high bid dr_derivative 20€ plus shipping to DT

Total raised: 207€ (of which 157€ to Deskthority)

Thank you!
Last edited by Keybug on 01 Jan 2019, 08:00, edited 23 times in total.

tentator

16 Dec 2018, 10:27

I'm in for :
OK I need at least 45 switches, so I'd take the 110 white kailh box.
EU shipped, 30Eur to deskthority.net

Kr, tent
Last edited by tentator on 16 Dec 2018, 11:31, edited 4 times in total.

Keybug

16 Dec 2018, 10:29

Cool. Please specify an amount that you'll be donating for each (including shipping).

Prelim

16 Dec 2018, 11:20

offer 25€ for the MX mount RGB modifiers, minimum donation to Deskthority

scottc

16 Dec 2018, 11:57

- 35 Kailh box jade heavy clicky switches, as new

I'll offer 10 EUR shipped (EU) for these, with a donation to the Irish Cancer Society.

Thanks for making this kind gesture, Keybug.

Keybug

16 Dec 2018, 12:29

Thanks! Just to clarify, I don't get any money. It all goes into the donation. I donate the items and cover shipping,

abrahamstechnology

16 Dec 2018, 22:32

$10 to Deskthority for those Taiwans!
Question: are they the "jet axis" type with click leaves?

Keybug

17 Dec 2018, 00:25

They are of the black variety of [wiki]Taiwan white and black shaft[/wiki], but as I've only kept the sliders and switches (housing were brittle and broke like Aristotles do and I didn't see a reason to keep the leaves), I can not make out what subtype they are. Please be aware that these are not complete and working switches.

abrahamstechnology

17 Dec 2018, 01:31

Keybug wrote: They are of the black variety of [wiki]Taiwan white and black shaft[/wiki], but as I've only kept the sliders and switches (housing were brittle and broke like Aristotles do and I didn't see a reason to keep the leaves), I can not make out what subtype they are. Please be aware that these are not complete and working switches.
Ah, OK, I was thinking they were Taiwan jet axis.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Dec 2018, 09:12

What a great idea! Clicky & Tactile heaven :)

Keybug

17 Dec 2018, 09:46

Heh, Wodan, you'll be pleased to see that most people now won't even donate 5€ for 30 Zealios! ;) :D An awkward number of switches, I guess, but I wanted to save €€ and only try them on the alphas in my switch-swap keyboards.

hansichen

17 Dec 2018, 10:02

30 switches is really a horrible number, I wonder whether the stems are identical so that you could swap some springs into it to make them 'usable'.

mcmaxmcmc

17 Dec 2018, 10:06

I'm tempted to get the typewriter caps, but I don't know its layout :P

Keybug

17 Dec 2018, 10:18

Added layout info for keycaps in OP. Here is a photo showing the legens of the typewriter caps:
Attachments
typewriter caps.jpg
typewriter caps.jpg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 10143 times
Last edited by Keybug on 17 Dec 2018, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

Menuhin

17 Dec 2018, 12:00

Interesting post!

Offer 35€ for the MX mount RGB modifiers, donation to Deskthority

nikolai

17 Dec 2018, 12:02

40€ to Deskthority for all 90 zealios!

AdrianMan

17 Dec 2018, 13:04

I would like the topre spacebars.7 Eur towards deskthority.

Thanks !

tentator

17 Dec 2018, 22:23

Keybug wrote: Added layout info for keycaps in OP. Here is a photo showing the legens of the typewriter caps:

wow those are the Gabriele 9009 white on black caps: I also have them, really cool, and low profile! :)
I still have it complete: didn't have the courage to savage them, since the typewrite is fully functional and really is a great product, can even do proportional printing, erasing characters, lcd display and buffer, basically you could really use it to print contemporary looking stuff! and of course I also love the sound it does! ahah :)

swampangel

19 Dec 2018, 01:08

20€ ($30 CAD) to Feed Nova Scotia (https://www.feednovascotia.ca/) for those typewriter caps.
tentator wrote: I still have it complete: didn't have the courage to savage them
A telling typo? ;)

LightningXI

19 Dec 2018, 10:12

Offering 40€ for the MX mount RGB modifiers, donation to Deskthority.net!

Keybug

19 Dec 2018, 12:03

That's the spirit! :-)

Keybug

20 Dec 2018, 11:02

Bumped by reindeer!

Drclick

21 Dec 2018, 14:51

5€ to deskthority for typewriter caps.

swampangel

24 Dec 2018, 16:06

swampangel wrote: 20€ ($30 CAD) to Feed Nova Scotia ( https://www.feednovascotia.ca/ ) for those typewriter caps.
I feel like this was overlooked (maybe because I put a quote below it).

I'll also offer 20€ (£18) to Mermaids ( https://www.mermaidsuk.org.uk/ ) for the set of Kailh Box Browns (edited to euro w/gbp equiv instead of gbp w/cad equiv)

Keybug

24 Dec 2018, 16:49

Sorry swampangel, I had indeed somehow overlooked your post. OP updated.

Keybug

28 Dec 2018, 15:33

Updated OP. Only another three days to go.

okaboni

29 Dec 2018, 14:29

I'll offer 10€ for No.8 30 65g Zealios, and 50€ for No.12 MX mount RGB modifiers. Both to Deskthority.

hansichen

29 Dec 2018, 15:02

A big thanks to keybug for this donation sale.

Keep in mind that from January 1st the 3,70€ shipping option for 500g packages will be gone and you have to use DHL (16€ untracked) or you need a commercial account for Warenpost options. So you might wanna close this early and ship the stuff out this year.

More info here: https://www.deutschepost.de/de/b/briefe ... ragen.html

Keybug

29 Dec 2018, 18:11

Thanks a LOT for pointing this out, man! This sucks big donkey balls and I was completely unaware of it. What terrible timing!

Sorry, people, but for the low-price items, I may have to cancel the deal if shipping costs end up being too ridiculous. We'll see, I guess. As I'm currenly home alone with two small kids, I can't put in the time and effort it would take to get everything sent by Monday...

dr_derivative

29 Dec 2018, 21:07

I'll offer €20 to DT for the Taiwan Black Shaft stems and springs. I'm also happy to pay for shipping if that ends up being a problem

Return to “For sale”