Blue Selectric I keyset for IBM Beamspring boards

Paco666

19 Dec 2018, 15:44

Hi all since I’m a lazy sob I’ll just copy and paste my listing from Reddit.

Pics- https://imgur.com/gallery/pc3396C

So here they are straight from the 60s all ready to funk up that already beloved beamspring. If you have been looking far and wide for something to merry up your Christmas search no more.

I searched for information on these to fix a price but haven’t been able to cause they seem to be rare enough to not show up for sale.

They are primarily in a good condition other then a couple chipped keys and space bar. You can see the major defects in the album.

I’m primarily looking for cash but may be interested in a nice SA set for my gk64.

Based on the rarity of these and from the info that I’ve been able to get from fellow Reddit and Deskthority members and offers that I’ve received before even putting them up for sale I’ll be asking 525$ Plus shipping

If this seems ridiculous to some please go ahead and state your arguments and knowledge on these and help me find a correct price range!

Thanks for looking!
Attachments
D6F19AE1-6D94-4C9C-BB45-03F90F45FC05.jpeg
D6F19AE1-6D94-4C9C-BB45-03F90F45FC05.jpeg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 7313 times

wobbled

19 Dec 2018, 15:48

525 dollars?!? I don't even know what to say.

JP!

19 Dec 2018, 16:01

:mrgreen: I am lost for words as well.

FXT
XT

19 Dec 2018, 16:13

wobbled wrote: 525 dollars?!? I don't even know what to say.
I don't think that's honestly even unreasonable given how rare they are. If I wasn't getting rid of my beamspring I'd be pretty tempted. People pay ridiculous money for ugly artisan keycaps on Reddit; I know what I'd rather spend my money on.

Myoth

19 Dec 2018, 16:18

525usd :lol: you could get a beamspring for this much a few years ago, and with some luck you can get one even today!!

you shot yourself in the foot by posting here :D

wobbled

19 Dec 2018, 16:41

FXT wrote:
I don't think that's honestly even unreasonable given how rare they are. If I wasn't getting rid of my beamspring I'd be pretty tempted. People pay ridiculous money for ugly artisan keycaps on Reddit; I know what I'd rather spend my money on.
You're only making it seem more acceptable when it just isn't. This is a hobby that used to be fun and had nothing to do with making ridiculous money - back when kishsavers were listed for dirt cheap (granted they were unusable, but they were still ridiculously rare if not more rare than these blue caps) lets not forget that there are still people who list for fair prices that get fucked over by greedy ass holes who resell to other dumbasses.
Shit like this is killing a fun hobby, and I hope I'm not the only one that sees it this way.

Anakey

19 Dec 2018, 16:56

What is your argument for charging such a high price if not just to make a tidy profit? The keycaps are even damaged because someone who obviously has no interest in what they have decided to just yank them off the original typewriter in the hope of making a profit. This is someone who has no interest in the hobby.

FXT
XT

19 Dec 2018, 17:02

wobbled wrote:
FXT wrote:
You're only making it seem more acceptable when it just isn't. This is a hobby that used to be fun and had nothing to do with making ridiculous money - back when kishsavers were listed for dirt cheap (granted they were unusable, but they were still ridiculously rare if not more rare than these blue caps) lets not forget that there are still people who list for fair prices that get fucked over by greedy ass holes who resell to other dumbasses.
Shit like this is killing a fun hobby, and I hope I'm not the only one that sees it this way.
Obviously we'd all rather have prices back where they used to be, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Nobody is going to sell for reasonable prices anymore when they can just go on eBay and make a small fortune instead. I don't see how complaining/attacking the OP helps at all.

JP!

19 Dec 2018, 17:06

Let's see an entire Selectric I Re-Furbished, Serviced And Tested sold for $450 + $59 shipping. What a bunch of bollocks parting out just the keys.
selectric.jpg
selectric.jpg (255.26 KiB) Viewed 7204 times
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Blue-Keys ... 7675.l2557

wobbled

19 Dec 2018, 17:08

If people stopped overhyping the product and justifying this overpriced shit, maybe they wouldn't bother listing it.

Paco666

19 Dec 2018, 17:44

Anakey wrote: What is your argument for charging such a high price if not just to make a tidy profit? The keycaps are even damaged because someone who obviously has no interest in what they have decided to just yank them off the original typewriter in the hope of making a profit. This is someone who has no interest in the hobby.
Well first off I’m basing the price from what I’ve been told these could be worth. Other then the typewriter that sold on eBay I have not seen these anywhere nor have I been able to get an approximate value. I would’ve loved getting the whole typewriter but it wasn’t possible so I asked the person if they could just sell me the caps so they removed it them self. If I was to have removed them I can assure you that I wouldn’t have broken anything.

If you were to sell your car would you sell it 2000$ under it’s estimated value just so someone will say Wow look at that guy, selling his car way under value or would you try to get the best price possible for it.

This is the same thing, and by the way I said if ever you feel like the price is off please say so and give me an approximate value and I’ll readjust to whatever is the overall consensus.

Paco666

19 Dec 2018, 17:48

wobbled wrote: If people stopped overhyping the product and justifying this overpriced shit, maybe they wouldn't bother listing it.
If someone finds it ok to pay as much for a rare item just let them do so! When is the last time you’ve seen a set of these caps hit the market?

I slapped on a price but am willing to readjust if ever this isn’t correct.

Paco666

19 Dec 2018, 17:55

wobbled wrote:
FXT wrote:
I’m sorry if trying to get the best price for an item I found is killing the hobby as you say. I’m not controlling a market by selling these, the only people who control the market are those who have the money and buy these items.

I just sold an IBM 5251 for 1500$ usd and I never put a gun against anyone’s head! Even more so there were multiple people interested around the same price so please don’t go saying that I’m a greedy asshole! If you do have other comments regarding the caps and a correct pricing please do say so. I’ve been searching for around 2 weeks for info and a correct price but there’s NONE that have been sold other then the red a blue Selectric which btw was a buy it now. Maybe if he had put it on auction it would have fetched even more.

Paco666

19 Dec 2018, 18:01

Myoth wrote: 525usd :lol: you could get a beamspring for this much a few years ago, and with some luck you can get one even today!!

Good luck getting a beamspring for 525$, none have sold in the last three months for below 1200$. And as I said to other people here I don’t make the rules nor do I force people to buy things I have. If you have more information to help me price these please say so.

Myoth

19 Dec 2018, 18:10

Paco666 wrote:
Myoth wrote: 525usd :lol: you could get a beamspring for this much a few years ago, and with some luck you can get one even today!!

none have sold in the last three months for below 1200$. And as I said to other people here I don’t make the rules nor do I force people to buy things I have. If you have more information to help me price these please say so.
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/IBM-DisplayWrit ... SwhX5b1eHK

one !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-5251-Beams ... Sw8L5cBlLM

two !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-32 ... Sw~ydb5cC2

three !

:lol:

but even if those are less than 1200, you can always get one for around the first one's price once in a while.
If you have more information to help me price these please say so.
I'd value them at something like 200usd max, I'm pretty sure the Selectric JP! linked was bought by a collector rather than a keyboard enthusiast with way too much money. And a collector surely will see way more value in a complete typewriter than just the keycaps.

Paco666

19 Dec 2018, 18:16

Well sorry for posting that, I’m not too sure why those didn’t show up when I searched but thing is that I still sold one for 1500 and it wasn’t on eBay. Can’t say if there was a difference in the quality of the board though.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

19 Dec 2018, 18:20

Since you placed the $ after the figure, is it safe to assume you mean 525 Canadian dollars? Or do you mean $525? :lol:

Paco666

19 Dec 2018, 18:39

Myoth wrote:
Paco666 wrote:

none have sold in the last three months for below 1200$. And as I said to other people here I don’t make the rules nor do I force people to buy things I have. If you have more information to help me price these please say so.
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/IBM-DisplayWrit ... SwhX5b1eHK

one !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-5251-Beams ... Sw8L5cBlLM

Ive been offered 350 before putting them up for sale.

two !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-32 ... Sw~ydb5cC2

three !

:lol:

but even if those are less than 1200, you can always get one for around the first one's price once in a while.
If you have more information to help me price these please say so.
I'd value them at something like 200usd max, I'm pretty sure the Selectric JP! linked was bought by a collector rather than a keyboard enthusiast with way too much money. And a collector surely will see way more value in a complete typewriter than just the keycaps.

Prelim

19 Dec 2018, 19:01

Based on the rarity of these and from the info that I’ve been able to get from fellow Reddit and Deskthority members and offers that I’ve received
humm, which DT members?

Myoth

19 Dec 2018, 19:06

Paco666 wrote: thing is that I still sold one for 1500 and it wasn’t on eBay
oh yeah ? and I sold an M for 200000000usd ;)

JP!

19 Dec 2018, 19:48

Eh if you've got a good offer take it or just put them up on eBay and let the market decide with a no reserve auction. That will answer your question. Sounds like you've had some solid offers but now you are chasing after pennies trying to eek out every last dollar.

Paco666

19 Dec 2018, 19:50

Myoth wrote:
Paco666 wrote: thing is that I still sold one for 1500 and it wasn’t on eBay
oh yeah ? and I sold an M for 200000000usd ;)
Laugh all you want, my PayPal wallets knows the truth and that’s the important part.
Last edited by Paco666 on 19 Dec 2018, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

PlacaFromHell

19 Dec 2018, 20:08

Can we stop this witch hunt? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Beamspring keyboards and their stuff are every day more expensive because of supply and demand, no matter how much they cry the price will continue to rise.

just_add_coffee

19 Dec 2018, 20:10

JP! wrote: Let's see an entire Selectric I Re-Furbished, Serviced And Tested sold for $450 + $59 shipping. What a bunch of bollocks parting out just the keys.
selectric.jpg
$400 + $59 shipping. And as you said, Re-Furbished, i.e. WORKING Selectric. :D

Here's what they look like on my beamer ...

Ir0n

19 Dec 2018, 20:18

Edit: I was heated
Last edited by Ir0n on 19 Dec 2018, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

JP!

19 Dec 2018, 20:26

just_add_coffee wrote:

I love that retro-modern look :)

Dingster

19 Dec 2018, 20:54

just_add_coffee wrote:
JP! wrote: Let's see an entire Selectric I Re-Furbished, Serviced And Tested sold for $450 + $59 shipping. What a bunch of bollocks parting out just the keys.
selectric.jpg

Holy shit that looks fucking nice

FXT
XT

19 Dec 2018, 20:59

Agreed, that is one sharp looking 3101.

xueyao

20 Dec 2018, 00:19

just_add_coffee wrote:
selectric.jpg

I have the same beamer as you but yours look infinitely cooler omg. Gotta love the blue lights with the blue keys

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Paco666

20 Dec 2018, 02:56

just_add_coffee wrote:
selectric.jpg

Oh yeah that’s definitely a gorgeous board. So you’re the buyer of the red Selectric huh. Just out of curiosity how much would you have been ready to put on just the keycaps?

Return to “For sale”