What's in the box?!?!?! (IBM Industrial SSK)

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

20 Dec 2018, 03:40

Last edited by snacksthecat on 20 Dec 2018, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

mcmaxmcmc

20 Dec 2018, 08:22

:o Oh my lord, oh my lord, oh my lord! Awesome find, man! Great job.
That bend on the case though... :shock:

Chyros

20 Dec 2018, 10:39

A Mopar! Beautiful, nice find, man! Hope it didn't put you out of pocket too much :) .

Was the case always that bent, or was shipping unkind to it?

andrewjoy

20 Dec 2018, 10:48

That case is broken , you don't want that.

Send it to me and i will recycle it for you.

cookie

20 Dec 2018, 14:16

Wonderful board, I am quite fond of your table as well, tasty!

Drclick

20 Dec 2018, 14:28

That's the one from modelfkeyboards.com!

Muirium
µ

20 Dec 2018, 17:08

Seeing this thread in the Forum Spy via the comment above, I thought Ellipse had shipped his Kishsaver run at last! Fine way to ring out 2018.

But no, instead it’s just a lousy Industrial SSK. Pfft!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

20 Dec 2018, 17:56

Muirium wrote: Seeing this thread in the Forum Spy via the comment above, I thought Ellipse had shipped his Kishsaver run at last! Fine way to ring out 2018.

But no, instead it’s just a lousy Industrial SSK. Pfft!
Aw I'm sorry for the false alarm.

Indeed this is the industrial SSK from modelfkeyboards.com. It was steeply discounted due to the warping of the top case. I purchased it well aware of this fact but without seeing an actual photo so I was very interested to receive the board and check it out.

The warping is different than I expected. I'm not 100% sure how I'll deal with it yet but my current thinking is to use hot water and clamps/ties to straighten it out. I'm going to do some experiments with some other scrap cases first so I'll know rough temperature ranges to keep the water. Obviously I need to be very careful not to further damage it! I'll post the process and results once I'm ready to give it a shot.

I use a regular SSK 99% of the time and I absolutely love it. I'm very excited for this upgrade.

__red__

20 Dec 2018, 23:32

FYI - Unicomp has the industrial case on clearance so replacing that warped case will be easy :-)

Muirium
µ

20 Dec 2018, 23:34

Huh?!? How much for an Indy SSK case?

hansichen

20 Dec 2018, 23:36

__red__ wrote: FYI - Unicomp has the industrial case on clearance so replacing that warped case will be easy :-)
They only sell full-size cases and not ssk cases. Cutting it down should be rather difficult without a new paint job.

JP!

21 Dec 2018, 18:50

hansichen wrote:
__red__ wrote: FYI - Unicomp has the industrial case on clearance so replacing that warped case will be easy :-)
They only sell full-size cases and not ssk cases. Cutting it down should be rather difficult without a new paint job.
I regret not buying one of these when I had a chance to buy one a fair bit less than the going rate. My end game SSK would be to take one in rough condition, paint the case in industrial gray, get a pcb replacement black badge, add reproduction industrial blue keys, and convert it to a Model F SSK...sigh one of these days!

Engicoder

21 Dec 2018, 19:37

Nice pickup. Good luck with straightening that case. That should be an adventure!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

21 Dec 2018, 22:51

My plan right now is to use hot water to gently heat the case. Then apply force, either with weight or clamps, while it cools down. Just doing this a little bit I've already noticed the more drastic bends straightening out.

It will be difficult to deal with the warping though. For instance, the case around the arrow keys is warped to the point where they can't move freely without rubbing, causing them to stick.

I think this is going to be a slow grind with lots of little tweaks until I end up with something "good enough".

JP!

21 Dec 2018, 22:56

Reminds me of my M122 that a previous owner left in the sun to dry where the bottom part of the case now bows out pretty bad. I've yet to attempt anything like this.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

08 Jan 2019, 11:52

Hey @snacksthecat how did it end up? Did it work out okay?

digital_matthew

08 Jan 2019, 15:43

snacksthecat wrote:
21 Dec 2018, 22:51
My plan right now is to use hot water to gently heat the case. Then apply force, either with weight or clamps, while it cools down. Just doing this a little bit I've already noticed the more drastic bends straightening out.

It will be difficult to deal with the warping though. For instance, the case around the arrow keys is warped to the point where they can't move freely without rubbing, causing them to stick.

I think this is going to be a slow grind with lots of little tweaks until I end up with something "good enough".

What...is...the deal?!

Seriously though, good luck on the project.

micrex22

09 Jan 2019, 08:12

Is that heat-related warping? A regular white SSK chassis I have has some heat warpage damage.

Return to “Gallery”