What is your favorite switch and why?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

30 Jan 2011, 22:42

I know, I know. Geekhack had a poll for this, but that was too vague and clearly rigged! So, no poll here. Just open discussion. What is your personal favorite keyboard switch?

I'll start with a little history.

Sometime like two or three years ago, I got a Filco with MX Browns, expecting a lot from it. When it arrived I was really very disappointed. It felt no better than your average rubberdome keyboard to me. In fact I expected the tactile point to be much more pronounced, when in reality it was almost impossible to feel it. Quickly after that I found out about that I would probably prefer MX Blue switches. So I went ahead and picked up a G80-3000 with MX Blue switches shortly after. Yes, that switch was pretty good! After another Filco with MX Blues and tons of other vintage boards I was forced to use a G80-1000HAD with MX Black switches for an extended period of time. This is when I actually fell in love with MX Blacks. Before that, I usually ignored them and did not pay them much attention. Everyone said they sucked and were really stiff, so they just had to be right?! Wrong!

By now MX Black is still my favorite switch. I found out that there are actually two variants of the MX Black switch... many people in the western keyboard world do not think much of these "old type" vs "new type" discussion, but Koreans have (of course) put a lot of research into it. Sometime in the mid 90s Cherry massively changed all their switches, probably to reduce cost. This is most noticeable on MX Clears and MX Blacks. The spring inside is actually of a different material. At the same time Cherry changed their product catalog and rated MX Blues and MX Clears to be "safe for 50.000.000 operations" instead of the previous 20 million operations that they were before. Further proof.

Old MX Blacks are smooth and seem to take a tiny bit less of force (I have no proof for this -- too lazy to measure) compared to the newer ones. If you add some oil or grease (such as RO-59) to the spring, you will further improve the feel.

A few months ago I received a board with modified MX Clear switches that had their spring changed and all parts oiled. These also feel very, very nice and are what browns really should feel like. Very tactile but still smooth.

So my personal Top 5:

#1 OLD MX Black'
#2 Modified MX Clear
#3 ALPS OLD (don't get me started...) Blue or White
#4 MX Blue
#5 Topre

Yes, no buckling springs in my top 5.. I am trying hard to like them... and I do. But something just isn't right for me. I would also put this Hall IC Effect keyboard somewhere up there, but that would not be fair, since its a non mainstream switch.

bugfix

30 Jan 2011, 22:50

I do lack the vast experience you just demonstrated once again but I'd still like to contribute.

MX Blues were my first mech switches and while I greatly prefer them over a bad rubber dome any given day, I think they feel "cheap" when compared to BS.

I'm currently evaluating Topre and I'm also liking them a lot - they feel like velvet...

lootbag

30 Jan 2011, 23:35

I will contribute as well.

Having tried:
- Cherry MX Black
- Cherry MX Blue
- Cherry MX Brown
- Buckling Spring
- Topre

I can say Topre has become my favourite.
Typed on a IBM Model M for the longest time, then tried Cherry MX family for a couple years and finally arrived at the Topre rubber goodness.
There is something about these Topre switches that have me addicted!
& yes, MX Blues and Browns just don't match up to the solid feel of Buckling Spring and Topre, in my opinion.

I still rotate my Model M in and out of usage, you know, for those days I just feel like making a ruckus.
Usually that doesn't last too long though, using Topre boards all the time has made my wrists succumb to the Buckling Spring.

o___o

lowpoly

31 Jan 2011, 12:56

I'm still on MX Blacks (no idea if old or new) and still like them best. Browns feel 'scratchy' to me. And I don't get much use out of a click. So it's linear for me.

Bottom line, I prefer as little distraction as possible when pressing a switch. Even the Topre switch catches my attention which may be due to me typing slowly.

Looking forward to your springs. Lighter may be better.

Mrinterface

31 Jan 2011, 13:02

I have tried most common switch types :
1. Buckling Spring
2. Cherry red, blue, brown, black, clear
3. Alps, dampened alps
4. Topre

I am currently using the HHKBPro2 since it has one of the best layouts and of course the Topre switch with the best key-weighting for me. My game computer has cherry browns attached which are decent enough for gaming.

Regards.

Lethal Squirrel

31 Jan 2011, 18:27

1,MX Blue
2,MX Brown
3,MX Black
4,Buckling Springs

and thats all Ive tried

sixty
Gasbag Guru

31 Jan 2011, 18:29

Mrinterface wrote:I have tried most common switch types :
1. Buckling Spring
2. Cherry red, blue, brown, black, clear
3. Alps, dampened alps
4. Topre

I am currently using the HHKBPro2 since it has one of the best layouts and of course the Topre switch with the best key-weighting for me. My game computer has cherry browns attached which are decent enough for gaming.

Regards.
You cheated on the #2!

webwit
Wild Duck

31 Jan 2011, 20:04

I find this very hard to answer. Some of the best switches are captured in boards I cannot use or have weird layouts.

Mazora

31 Jan 2011, 23:25

Having tried:

1-robber domes
2-scissor switches (macbook)
3-MX-Browns

I say MX-Browns 8) ^^

bugfix

31 Jan 2011, 23:30

Mazora wrote:1-robber domes
Yeah, those are criminally bad.

Lethal Squirrel

01 Feb 2011, 04:23

Rubber domes? Blasphemy!

7bit

01 Feb 2011, 18:01

Amongst clicky switches, my favorites are ALPS. They sound well and also feel well in terms of tactility.

The Cherry blues sound like sandpaper. Maybe it's just my specific keyboard, which has got that sound. I like the tactile feedback, so I think I would like browns best, but I still had no opportunity to test one.

Currently, I'm typing on a Model M from April 1989, after using that Cherry G80-1000 with blues for a week. It is quite a difference. The keys feel stiffer than Cherry blacks. I must say it is not as pleasant to type, as on ALPS or Cherry switches. I like the ringing sound, but it disturbs when typing seriously.

Except for being non-tactile, I liked the Cherry blacks from the moment on, I used my first mechanical keyboard. Now that I got used to mechanical switches, I tend far less to bottom out (even though I'm not a touch-typist), so a lighter switch would suit me as well....

keyboardlover

02 Feb 2011, 17:17

My favorite switches in order:
1. Topre
2. Cherry red
3. Cherry clear

IMO, PCB-mounted reds have a feel that is slightly similar to Topre (I believe mainly because I almost always bottom out when I type). However Topre just has the absolute best feel to me. PCB-mounted clears are nice too, although a bit heavy and loud.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 18:12

keyboardlover wrote:My favorite switches in order:
1. Topre
2. Cherry red
3. Cherry clear

IMO, PCB-mounted reds have a feel that is slightly similar to Topre (I believe mainly because I almost always bottom out when I type). However Topre just has the absolute best feel to me. PCB-mounted clears are nice too, although a bit heavy and loud.
I agree that clears are kinda similar to 55g Topre. Loud is probably you to blame for bottoming out :P
Do you prefer 55g Topre or variable?

keyboardlover

02 Feb 2011, 19:07

Definitely variable. Although like others have mentioned, I think an all-45g board would be best. OR maybe 45g just for the home row, and 55g everywhere else. That'd be interesting.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 19:36

I had a hate/love relationship with my 55g 87U. It seemed like sometimes it was too stuff, while on other days it was just perfect. I think if I stopped switching boards between it might have been better. Overall, I am pretty much tie with 55g/variable variant.

keyboardlover

02 Feb 2011, 19:47

I agree that sometimes 55g feels perfect while other times it feels too heavy. I think it has a lot to do with you as a person, how tired you are, etc. For example I've found that I prefer a heavier switch when I'm well rested (or at work) and a lighter switch in the mornings after I get up and in the evenings before bed.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 19:55

I never actually thought of that... time to get a day and night keyboard! There is a new reason right there for those who have to justify purchases to their spouses.

lootbag

02 Feb 2011, 20:03

keyboardlover wrote:I agree that sometimes 55g feels perfect while other times it feels too heavy. I think it has a lot to do with you as a person, how tired you are, etc. For example I've found that I prefer a heavier switch when I'm well rested (or at work) and a lighter switch in the mornings after I get up and in the evenings before bed.
So true!
When I wake up in the morning or during the day I like to click clack away on the Model M.
In the evening or at night I revert back to my HHKB or Realforce.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Feb 2011, 20:11

The HHKB feels kinda rubbery to me after switching from a Model M. Takes me a while to adjust.

lootbag

02 Feb 2011, 22:56

That's because it is rubber in essence haha.
Despite the differences, rotating between the two types of switches is great for me.
I am loving the contrast.

Minskleip

02 Feb 2011, 23:14

I also like switching between different switches. It's real fun to type on clickies!

What I found after using bucking springs for a while and switching to blue cherries, is that the cherries is kind of stuck on the way up after the bump; they're not as smooth as the bs. Lube would probably fix this, but it's a bit stupid. And they're not the most fun objects to lube.

burr

02 Feb 2011, 23:33

Buckling spring is my favorite, I have used it for about half a year, and I quite like it, I thought it was a bit stiff at first and it hurt my pinkies, but they don't complain much anymore. But it's also the only mechanical switch that I have used, so there isn't really much competition. But I hope to try more switches in the near future.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Feb 2011, 23:34

Minskleip wrote:What I found after using bucking springs for a while and switching to blue cherries, is that the cherries is kind of stuck on the way up after the bump; they're not as smooth as the bs. Lube would probably fix this, but it's a bit stupid. And they're not the most fun objects to lube.
I have the same thing. The Cherries feel like you're typing against something..the leaf! This obstruction is what gives it tactility. It's inherent of the vertical leaf design, but also one point where I find some Alps better. Then again I'm not deep into the pre 95 (or when was it) event era of Cherry switches.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 23:41

Once we have a Euro meetup happening (still gonna be a while, pretty fking busy), I'll make sure to bring a test-board of every single switch in existence, old and new!

Anyway, as written in my original post above I don't notice much of a difference with the old and new mx blue. Old ones are louder, if anything. Its very noticeable on blacks and clears though.

Minskleip

03 Feb 2011, 00:00

Alps are not vertical leaf?

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Feb 2011, 00:36

Not all of them. There are beam spring Alps out there...

But that was not the point. On some vertical leaf Alp keyboards I don't have that feeling of typing against an obstruction as I have with tactile Cherries.

Minskleip

03 Feb 2011, 00:48

In that case, I don't have the same feeling on my white XM's, but the issue with the blue cherries is not typing against something, it's the stem not going smooth back up after it has passed the tactile bump.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

03 Feb 2011, 00:50

Sad part is that ALPS age way worse than Cherry keys. Most tactile ALPS feel terrible after dust makes their way inside. Cleaning them every 10 years or so seems a must. Wonder why they suffer from dust so much more compared to Cherry keys, the case construction normally should be better than Cherry too...

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

03 Feb 2011, 02:30

The Beam Springs are pretty swish, but neither usable or available in a particularly sane keyboard layout, leaving the Model F style buckling spring as my favorite usable switch. The tactility is excellent, has a good amount of force, and there's very little that can go wrong with it.

Return to “Keyboards”