Buckling spring keyboards

Cherryisgarbage

03 Jan 2019, 03:58

Hey! does anybody have a buckling spring keyboard that they are willing to sell? I have a budget of about $100, but if you have a custom (do those even exist?) buckling spring keyboard I'm willing to spend more. Thanks!

elecplus

03 Jan 2019, 05:31

That is a rather broad request. Model M, M2, F? 62 to 122 keys is a broad range :-) Can you please be a little more specific?

Cherryisgarbage

03 Jan 2019, 06:48

elecplus wrote: That is a rather broad request. Model M, M2, F? 62 to 122 keys is a broad range :-) Can you please be a little more specific?
Anything with dedicated function keys under 122 keys is good. also, whats an M2?
Last edited by Cherryisgarbage on 03 Jan 2019, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

ZedTheMan

03 Jan 2019, 07:05

I'll sell you a Model M122 for $30+ shipping. Just needs a Soarer's converter and you're good to go!
(That and a good cleaning.... If you give me time I can clean it and make sure it works)

Cherryisgarbage

03 Jan 2019, 07:36

ZedTheMan wrote: I'll sell you a Model M122 for $30+ shipping. Just needs a Soarer's converter and you're good to go!
(That and a good cleaning.... If you give me time I can clean it and make sure it works)
didn't think about this when I made the original post, but 122 key is too big. sorry

ZedTheMan

03 Jan 2019, 08:28

Hey, it's all good! The battleship sized ones aren't for every desk, haha! Best of luck.

__red__

03 Jan 2019, 14:01

ZedTheMan wrote: Hey, it's all good! The battleship sized ones aren't for every desk, haha! Best of luck.
OP needs a bigger desk ;-)

Muirium
µ

03 Jan 2019, 17:19

Indeed. $100 wont buy you much less Model M than a 122 key. Seeing as the whole family is inversely valued to their size!

fohat
Elder Messenger

03 Jan 2019, 18:33

Ignore the haters and buy a new Unicomp with native USB, warranty, and Windows keys.

If it turns out that you like Model Ms, then get into vintage stuff.

Muirium
µ

03 Jan 2019, 18:39

I agree. Unicomp is a decent one stop shop for getting into this. And you’re in America, so shipping won’t kill the deal.

My beef with Unicomp is their complacency. They’re an old firm on its way out. Buy from them while you can, but don’t count on them being around as long as your board itself can last.

elecplus

03 Jan 2019, 18:42

Muirium wrote: Indeed. $100 wont buy you much less Model M than a 122 key. Seeing as the whole family is inversely valued to their size!
Not necessarily. I sell tested and cleaned M101s for $100. And I have a slew of terminal M102/103 for $45 or less. But $100 will no longer get you an SSK. 4 years ago I was stupid and sold them for $25.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

03 Jan 2019, 18:43

I have a Model M that I could clean up and convert to USB. It'd be $50 if you're interested (no factory warranty and no windows key though :P). I'll send you a photo if this is something you'd might like. From the ebay photos it looked like it was in fine shape but I need to take it apart and check out the rivets.

Cherryisgarbage

03 Jan 2019, 20:54

snacksthecat wrote: I have a Model M that I could clean up and convert to USB. It'd be $50 if you're interested (no factory warranty and no windows key though :P). I'll send you a photo if this is something you'd might like. From the ebay photos it looked like it was in fine shape but I need to take it apart and check out the rivets.
so do you own it or are you going to buy it and repair it for $50 + the cost of the keyboard? I don't understand what you mean.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

03 Jan 2019, 23:18

Cherryisgarbage wrote:
snacksthecat wrote: I have a Model M that I could clean up and convert to USB. It'd be $50 if you're interested (no factory warranty and no windows key though :P). I'll send you a photo if this is something you'd might like. From the ebay photos it looked like it was in fine shape but I need to take it apart and check out the rivets.
so do you own it or are you going to buy it and repair it for $50 + the cost of the keyboard? I don't understand what you mean.
I own it.

You can pay me $50 and you can own it (at which point, I will no longer own it).

Cherryisgarbage

04 Jan 2019, 00:52

snacksthecat wrote:
Cherryisgarbage wrote:
I own it.

You can pay me $50 and you can own it (at which point, I will no longer own it).
oh. I just didn't understand what you meant by "From the ebay photos it looked like it was in fine shape"

Elrick

04 Jan 2019, 01:23

To the OP.

LOVE your name, welcome to DT central :D .

elecplus

04 Jan 2019, 05:47

Cherryisgarbage wrote: Anything with dedicated function keys under 122 keys is good. also, whats an M2?
https://www.elecshopper.com/ibm-1395300 ... epair.html This is an M2. Shorter travel, lighter weight board. They are a real PITA to take apart. The tabs on the case tend to be brittle and break. The capacitors on the controller are notorious for going bad. Which is why I do not repair them and sell for a little more $.

Muirium
µ

04 Jan 2019, 05:50

M2s are nice, when they work. I’m quite partial to mine. They’re the most underrated buckling spring of all.
Elrick wrote: To the OP.

Kinda makes you wonder why it wasn’t always yours!

Sure, I’m not past pissing on a few companies, either; yet Cherry isn’t often among them. I’m not much into their switches, let alone their current keyboards, either. But as long as you like linears (yes, I know you don’t!) they’re back to being half decent of late. Maybe all the recent profit has woken them up a bit!

No one switch or firm should be the keyboard monoculture, that’s where we agree. Cherry’s hardly that. They’re more like IBM back in the PC days: their platform got away from them.

Dingster

04 Jan 2019, 15:00

Muirium wrote: M2s are nice, when they work. I’m quite partial to mine. They’re the most underrated buckling spring of all.
Elrick wrote: To the OP.

Kinda makes you wonder why it wasn’t always yours!

Sure, I’m not past pissing on a few companies, either; yet Cherry isn’t often among them. I’m not much into their switches, let alone their current keyboards, either. But as long as you like linears (yes, I know you don’t!) they’re back to being half decent of late. Maybe all the recent profit has woken them up a bit!

No one switch or firm should be the keyboard monoculture, that’s where we agree. Cherry’s hardly that. They’re more like IBM back in the PC days: their platform got away from them.
Yes, I dont understand all the hate that model M2's get, they are a lovely keyboard (when they work ofc).

swampangel

04 Jan 2019, 15:56

Dingster wrote: Yes, I dont understand all the hate that model M2's get, they are a lovely keyboard (when they work ofc).
If you open one up without realizing the springs are under pressure from the caps, it inspires a feeling that lasts a lifetime

Muirium
µ

04 Jan 2019, 17:43

Go on, open up that can of worms!

Dingster

05 Jan 2019, 12:44

Muirium wrote: Go on, open up that can of worms!
No worries opened the one with the fucked capacitors...Yes it was fun, no I dont plan on doing it again :lol:

fohat
Elder Messenger

05 Jan 2019, 15:33

swampangel wrote:
If you open one up without realizing the springs are under pressure from the caps,
You have to pull apart any IBM buckling spring keyboard without first removing the caps and stems, once, to learn beyond any shadow of doubt that it truly is a mistake.

Cherryisgarbage

06 Jan 2019, 00:53

Dingster wrote: Yes, I dont understand all the hate that model M2's get, they are a lovely keyboard (when they work ofc).
so should I buy an M2 or just get a model M? There are several on ebay for around $75 each.

twasa

06 Jan 2019, 17:24

Non-expert opinion this, but I think a model M is a great start. They're easily available, with clean ones going for a decent price if one must buy them. They're often just found.

digital_matthew

06 Jan 2019, 17:39

twasa wrote: Non-expert opinion this, but I think a model M is a great start. They're easily available, with clean ones going for a decent price if one must buy them. They're often just found.
I agree. Although the M2 is a nice board, it'll almost certainly need new capacitors and/or a membrane cleaning. A Model M will probably be in good working order and is easier to take apart and clean.

Darkshado

07 Jan 2019, 01:31

Cherryisgarbage wrote: so should I buy an M2 or just get a model M? There are several on ebay for around $75 each.
Given your budget and location you could do as Fohat suggested and simply buy a new Classic from Unicomp. As he said, comes with a warranty, native USB and Windows keys. (I'd recommend the "103 key layout" over the 104 for aesthetic considerations.)

If you'd rather buy vintage, you can't go wrong with a Model M. Without having to hunt too much? Cindy.

From what I understand this would be your first buckling spring board; you'll get a much more representative sample of the lineup with an M than an M2. Should you also get an M2? If you can live with its documented flaws and get a complete one for cheap, sure. Its key feel is still better than a lot of what's out there.

ZedTheMan

07 Jan 2019, 03:58

I say go for Snacksthecat's offer if you're open to an original M. It's a good deal and he is well known around here.

Return to “Want to buy”