Sejin Electron (MAXAR) Keyboard with Futabe MA Switches

ccl

06 Jan 2019, 16:15

Didn't want to pollute the main thread with images...

keyboards-f2/futaba-clicky-switch-thoughts-t14941.html

For reference, another nice Futaba thread along an older Datacomp board: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17765&hilit=Futaba+thoughts

So here we go:

I got this keyboard shortly before the Christmas holidays, and after a few seconds typing on the dirty keyboard, put it away
in some form of disgust. Over the holiday remembering the loud sound, but also remembering the smooth reputation of the Futaba switches.

Now back and yesterday having cleaned the board, to my delight, the sound is not super loud as I remembered, the board is well worn out and not too tactile. Thought it has a distinct sharp tactile point. But the sound is more deep. If I like it - yes, at the moment, for the moment. Long term, I don't know, but I am definitely happy now.

Chyros has the switch on his 7 worst sounding switches list, and of course, such lists are always subjective and to set
a reference, where your position is. E.g. for me, I am not such a big fan of Alps sound, and especially not the clicky variant.
Favorite switches are linear anyway, but there you go. To me I'd happily "switch" the Futaba MA with the IBM Model M switch from the 7 (or was it 10?) best sounding switches list and exchange them.. Thinking more about clicky switches, to me it is definitely the best sounding clicky switch, before some Kailh Box White or better a Kailh Chocosomething White (okay, Beamspring maybe also on the list)..

Key feel wise, again I am irritated from the sound and tactile element, but they might be up there in my top three or four with
linear space invaders, Tealios, and vintage blacks.. Have to see. But unlike those, it doesn't cross my mind to lube my Futaba MAs. And in this case these switches are really old and used.

Oh, and regarding the sound, there are four keys, if touched like just to wobble them - turning them to the left a millimeter and letting loose, they sound like a Mongolian Jew's harp, each key in s different pitch, but not high pitched. Can use this to make some composition with the Maxar.

The caps are now super yellowed, even the grey/beige is yellow. But they are super thick and double shots.

Caps look the same as on the Sejin EAT-1010 (wiki/Sejin_Electron_EAT-1010), just true Ansi instead of with big ass enter.

The Maxar logo looked initially super cheap to me, it probably is - thought it's cold metal. But now I am OK with it. The whole boards rectangular style I am also happy with. Plastic is not Model M level, but way sturdier than a recent G80-3000 and doesn't have to hide behind a modern Leopold keyboard. It has some room in the bottom for some foam fill out, if I get bored some day. But who knows if it improves the sound or takes away from its pleasentness.

Oh, I forgot to mention the steel plate over the PCB. The stabilizers are also way above some Cherry designs, no rattle- no grease.

This is not a Zenith or Northgate board in build quality, look, heft, or switch fame, but if offered a trade, I'd at least hesitate..

In conclusion? It is too early to say. I am using it now second day in a row (typing on it), and so far okay. Will have to see long term, if I get bored of the sound (clickiness or hollow board) or if it even grows on me. But today I still like it, even a lot.

Return to “Gallery”