DT Update Log and TODO

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Jan 2019, 19:37

Congrats to matt3o with this big and important step! We really needed this to have a road into the future. The road will even out after some initial bumps.

Muirium
µ

07 Jan 2019, 19:40

Hear hear!
matt3o wrote:
Muirium wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 18:56
The new logo is half way to being pretty great. The typography is refreshing yet recognisable. All I’d change is bringing back that signature inverse box around desk.
I'll give that a try
Appreciated!

hansichen

07 Jan 2019, 19:41

With regard to spy: currently just the topic of thread is mentioned in the overview (eg: "Re: NIB G80-3000 HAV"). On the right you see who wrote it and in which subcategory (eg: "Want to buy"). Without the subcategory you have no idea whether this is a picture thread, some info/questions about the board or whether it's for sale or if somebody wants to buy it. I personally would move the "Want to buy" to the front and make it like: "Want to buy: Re: NIB G80-3000 HAV".

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Jan 2019, 19:43

hansichen wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 17:47
One thing is still completely messed up: The subcategories have changed. Let's take a look eg pictures or the marketplace: viewforum.php?f=11
Before the update all threads were listed and you could go on "For Sale" to just show these threads. Now you have to check every subcategory manually. I think that the old way was a lot more comfortable to browse through the forum (especially for Photos/Videos/Photos&Videos section). I hope that will change back to the old style, else we should probably think about reducing the amount of subcategories.
Ah I'm afraid that was, technically, a horror of a patch I made for the old phpBB, and a major effort in terms of time required. It was completely custom for DT, and is not available for phpBB 3.2.

Muirium
µ

07 Jan 2019, 19:45

The new spy is a solid start. Works well on my phone in landscape. Not good in portrait however, padded with all that info on each topic. A username and timestamp is enough.

As for the threads themselves, the excess user metadata is a bit overwhelming on every post. I’d junk most all of it. Keep it for the user page.
Last edited by Muirium on 07 Jan 2019, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

TheInverseKey

07 Jan 2019, 19:47

matt3o wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 19:18
TheInverseKey wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 18:56
Hi,

I found an issue when trying to access the Wiki. It seems like there is a path missing during the lookup.
Spoiler:
2019-01-07 11_35_18-Window.png
Thanks,
TheInverseKey
where did you get that?
Here are the steps to reproduce:

1. Navigate to the Wiki page without being logged in.
2. Login into the Wiki
3. Redirected to the Forum login page
4. Error is displayed to the user

Thanks,
TheInverseKey

Nuum

07 Jan 2019, 20:31

Looking good, I like the new image upload! Thanks for putting in so much work, matt3o!

I think I found a problem as well: The spy doesn't display the original title of the thread but the title of the answer, e.g. "Re: DT Update Log and TODO". With Chyros' answer to the Alps Appretiation thread it only displays "Re:", probably because the rest was deleted manually? Is this the intended behavior?
59cd1fe2-75f6-435d-9fa2-48502e7fbb37.png
59cd1fe2-75f6-435d-9fa2-48502e7fbb37.png (400.58 KiB) Viewed 10833 times

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

07 Jan 2019, 20:34

Great work so far!!!

Is there going to be a "My Posts" / ego-search page?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Jan 2019, 20:37

Nuum wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 20:31
I think I found a problem as well: The spy doesn't display the original title of the thread but the title of the answer, e.g. "Re: DT Update Log and TODO". With Chyros' answer to the Alps Appretiation thread it only displays "Re:", probably because the rest was deleted manually? Is this the intended behavior?
yeah I noticed that, unfortunately phpbb works with "post subjects" and not "topic titles", we were using an extension that took care of zeroing the post subjects and always use the topic title instead.

Regarding the SPY fortunately I can do whatever I want, so I can change the title, systemwide it's more complicated and I'd like to use the fewer extensions possible (aka: none)

elecplus

07 Jan 2019, 20:39

The Spy does not show the icons for followed threads, unread posts, etc?

Muirium
µ

07 Jan 2019, 20:54

Ah, now it’s an image I recognise, I see you’re using a black gradient filter on the header image. Is this automatic or did you tweak candidates by hand?

Edit: definitely automatic. They’re all live now!

One thing I liked about the old hourly system is we all saw the same pic for a good chunk of time. An hour wasn’t too long to get boring, and let the whole catalogue of images take its time to rotate.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

07 Jan 2019, 21:36

The fact that the avatars, name and stuff are on the right rather than the left is disturbing me a lot!

TheInverseKey

07 Jan 2019, 21:37

Muirium wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 20:54
Ah, now it’s an image I recognise, I see you’re using a black gradient filter on the header image. Is this automatic or did you tweak candidates by hand?

Edit: definitely automatic. They’re all live now!

One thing I liked about the old hourly system is we all saw the same pic for a good chunk of time. An hour wasn’t too long to get boring, and let the whole catalogue of images take its time to rotate.
I have to agree the constant switching that happens sometimes when you are bouncing around the forum is a bit of a distraction.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

07 Jan 2019, 21:46

ramnes wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 21:36
The fact that the avatars, name and stuff are on the right rather than the left is disturbing me a lot!
This also:
space.png
space.png (109.69 KiB) Viewed 10776 times

Myoth

07 Jan 2019, 21:48

I think it's space for the profile to show, but yeah, quite useless, the hovering before was better :?

scottc

07 Jan 2019, 21:52

Here’s another datapoint: while the layout on desktop seems slightly worse, mobile web is **significantly** better now!

Everything feels much much faster too.

stratokaster

07 Jan 2019, 22:20

I think the new design has way too much negative space, but the mobile version is now much better than before.

_PixelNinja

07 Jan 2019, 23:10

IMHO the font used for the thread titles is not ideal — it's not very easy on the eyes and quickly becomes fatiguing when browsing the topics.

fohat
Elder Messenger

07 Jan 2019, 23:13

This is mostly all good and I appreciate the diligent work that has gone into it.

I much prefer the old logo, this missing chunk in the "D" does not particularly bother me but the broken "T" definitely does.

But my real concern is the abominable font that seems to only appear as thread titles, a very important component.
As shown with the "DT Update Log and TODO" entries shown here:
Attachments
Why not san serif here?
Why not san serif here?
DT Update Log and TODO font.png (30.6 KiB) Viewed 10729 times

kps

07 Jan 2019, 23:23

Any chance of an option for macroscopic text, or do I have to break out the css editor? 🔍👓>_<

Muirium
µ

08 Jan 2019, 00:28

Yeah, I’d like sans everywhere, too. Not just on DT but the world over, honestly…
Besides, these post “subjects” have clearly got to go.

digital_matthew

08 Jan 2019, 02:22

I like what I'm seeing so far. Keep up the good work, matt3o! :)

Findecanor

08 Jan 2019, 02:37

The logo is wrong.

"New posts" is gone... Oh, it is called "News" now: that is a bit misleading though as people could easily confuse that with "Keyboard news" or "Site news".

abrahamstechnology

08 Jan 2019, 03:54

For me, the titles of some posts appear as dots.
dots.PNG
dots.PNG (1.86 KiB) Viewed 10662 times

Madhias
BS TORPE

08 Jan 2019, 06:16

Wow, looks nice and I really like the use of Sans and Serif fonts! What I do not like soo much is the DT logo. Looking forward to see and browse mobile! On the screen simulation here it looks better than before, scaled and all.

Topre Enthusiast

08 Jan 2019, 08:08

Nice work, matt3o. I'm digging it!
I noticed in the spy that some threads just have 'Re' as the title -- has that been reported yet?

kokokoy

08 Jan 2019, 09:08

Looks great matt3o!

Agree with the rest on the wasted space created by the profile info. Also on the Spy I don't think we need the "Jump to post >" as the subject serves the same purpose.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Jan 2019, 09:27

- fixed error in wiki login page that redirected users to the wrong page
002 wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 08:08
Nice work, matt3o. I'm digging it!
I noticed in the spy that some threads just have 'Re' as the title -- has that been reported yet?
this is fixed

@muirium
dt-logo-test.png
dt-logo-test.png (11.87 KiB) Viewed 10602 times

andrewjoy

08 Jan 2019, 10:43

matt3o wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 20:37

yeah I noticed that, unfortunately phpbb works with "post subjects" and not "topic titles", we were using an extension that took care of zeroing the post subjects and always use the topic title instead.

I agree that limiting extensions is something we want to do ( and something you want to do for any webpage) But i think that is one we will have to accept, the way it works now is horrible and it make the site much harder to navigate.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Jan 2019, 10:47

I agree. I just have to find a viable solution, possibly just using a style template.

Return to “Deskthority talk”