DT Update Log and TODO

elecplus

08 Jan 2019, 11:24

I like that there is now a "go to top" icon on each post. It makes it much easier, especially on a cell phone. The new site works much better on the cell phone!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

08 Jan 2019, 11:48

Obviously matt3o invested a lot of time and effort in this work, and no doubt he deserves praise for it.
With such a basic update flaws were to be expected and for a good part already have been signalled.
(By the way, amazing to see how people can express critiicism without grumping like I would have done :mrgreen: )

It's good to now have a strike function in the editing window,
but would it be possible to again have texts instead of (at least to me) obscure icons on top of the window?

andrewjoy

08 Jan 2019, 12:05

Few minor wiki errors.

If you select the Modern theme then you get an internal error.
The icon is messed up on the mono book theme ( i much prefer this theme as the info is more compact.)

Khers

08 Jan 2019, 12:45

Wrt the spy, on the old site you could click the icon on the left and be brought to the first unread post in a thread, something I found very handy. However, this seems to be missing from the new spy.

Also, I really rather like the new logo suggestion with black on white for "desk".

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Jan 2019, 12:52

andrewjoy wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 12:05
If you select the Modern theme then you get an internal error.
I can replicate but error log is completely empty, so I'm not really sure what is causing this. It will be hard to fix without an error trace.
Khers wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 12:45
Wrt the spy, on the old site you could click the icon on the left and be brought to the first unread post in a thread, something I found very handy. However, this seems to be missing from the new spy.
will add that back

kbdfr
The Tiproman

08 Jan 2019, 13:03

Apparent error in the spy:
the status of all (i.e. even older) entries always remains "less than a minute ago" unless you refresh the page.

Menuhin

08 Jan 2019, 13:08

Just want to shout out to Matt3o for all his effort and also for all those that helped.
Kudos to them!

By the way, the search box placement is way better than before the click and show search box design - I use it for a few times already!
Last edited by Menuhin on 08 Jan 2019, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

Laser
emacs -nw

08 Jan 2019, 13:09

Menuhin wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 13:08
Just want to shout out to Matt3o for all his effort and also for all those that helped.
Kudos to them!
Ditto!

Also, I heard Tenerife is not that great lately :P (in reference to this post)

Prelim

08 Jan 2019, 13:21

looks way better, but I still think the lettering should be more consistent. Either using round edges for all the letters or the sharp edges... seems that mixing sharp with round edges screws it :(

Hypersphere

08 Jan 2019, 13:37

Regarding the new look:

Probably it's just that I am accustomed to the previous style, but I am finding the revised DT site harder to navigate. I'm also not fond of the font on the banner. In addition, the layout of the previous version of the site was more compact, which I prefer.

Menuhin

08 Jan 2019, 14:25

Prelim wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 13:21

looks way better, but I still think the lettering should be more consistent. Either using round edges for all the letters or the sharp edges...
+1

Menuhin

08 Jan 2019, 14:29

Hypersphere wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 13:37
Regarding the new look:
... the layout of the previous version of the site was more compact, which I prefer.
I hope if there can be a tweak, that can be a simple one...

But for Matt3o, and all supporting, please take it easy and step by step, I am sure there will be incremental revisions that will eventually optimize the new layout.

Signature

08 Jan 2019, 14:30

I really like the new look of the website Matt3o, well done! :D

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Jan 2019, 14:44

matt3o wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 20:37
Nuum wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 20:31
I think I found a problem as well: The spy doesn't display the original title of the thread but the title of the answer, e.g. "Re: DT Update Log and TODO". With Chyros' answer to the Alps Appretiation thread it only displays "Re:", probably because the rest was deleted manually? Is this the intended behavior?
yeah I noticed that, unfortunately phpbb works with "post subjects" and not "topic titles", we were using an extension that took care of zeroing the post subjects and always use the topic title instead.
It wasn't an extension, I think I just ripped it out the old codebase haha.
stratokaster wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 22:20
I think the new design has way too much negative space, but the mobile version is now much better than before.
Something like:

.profile-posts, .profile-joined, .profile-custom-field, .profile-contact {
display: none;
}

andrewjoy

08 Jan 2019, 14:46

matt3o wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 12:52

I can replicate but error log is completely empty, so I'm not really sure what is causing this. It will be hard to fix without an error trace.
I would just disable that form the list then , more concerned people getting locked into it and not being able to access the wiki

madrobby

08 Jan 2019, 15:01

Hey, love the new design, with one exception: I don't like hamburger menus on mobile. Can we get dedicated buttons for Spy/News/My posts/Wiki on mobile as well? There's plenty of space and it would save a tap. Thanks!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

08 Jan 2019, 15:02

A broken "D" seems to be mainstream these days:

And speaking of consistency, what about that broken "T" followed by a non-broken one?
DT new logo.jpg
DT new logo.jpg (58.38 KiB) Viewed 7183 times

Did I already mention I do not like the new logo? :mrgreen:

Menuhin

08 Jan 2019, 15:19

kbdfr wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 15:02
A broken "D" seems to be mainstream these days:
Spoiler:

And speaking of consistency, what about that broken "T" followed by a non-broken one?

DT new logo.jpg

Did I already mention I do not like the new logo? :mrgreen:
Men in the club of "broken D"...

And I think the idea was perhaps to emphasize "DT" and therefore just one T? But which T should be "the T"?

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Jan 2019, 15:37

Does this help against negative space? Feel free to edit, it's not perfect yet. Haven't tested this on mobile and this is only for topics.

Code: Select all

.section-viewtopic .has-profile .inner {
    position: relative;
}

.section-viewtopic .profile-posts,
.section-viewtopic .profile-joined,
.section-viewtopic .profile-custom-field,
.section-viewtopic .profile-contact {
	display: none;
}

.section-viewtopic .postprofile {
    position: absolute;
    right: 0;
}

.section-viewtopic .postprofile:hover {
    z-index: 99;
    background: white;
    padding: 9px;
    margin: -5px -10px 0;
    border: solid 1px #eee;
}

.section-viewtopic .postprofile:hover .profile-posts,
.section-viewtopic .postprofile:hover .profile-joined,
.section-viewtopic .postprofile:hover .profile-custom-field,
.section-viewtopic .postprofile:hover .profile-contact {
    display: block;
}

Muirium
µ

08 Jan 2019, 15:51

1. Apparently PMs now do not include full message body text. 7bot will run haywire! He depends on that for all his GB ordering logic.

2. The Spy’s load animation is cool for single new messages. But if you’ve been away for hours and dozens of posts all slide in, they play in sequence. I hit reload just in frustration after I saw what awaited me!

3. I like the box logo!

All three variations are pretty good. If I had to dash a T, I think I’d try the last one now. Our signature inverse box is already doing sterling service highlighting the word DESK and so now symmetry is what appeals more.
Last edited by Muirium on 08 Jan 2019, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

digital_matthew

08 Jan 2019, 15:52

I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but it looks like any poster can change the subject of a thread. This could lead to...confusion...

Muirium
µ

08 Jan 2019, 15:54

Yeah I mentioned that earlier in this thread. Fortunately, the title does not propagate to subsequent posts. But it does dirty the Spy, and the repetitive titles in each thread are entirely unnecessary anyway. I look forward to their murder!

Edit: ooh! Looks like they’re already ignored for the Spy now. Good work Matteo!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Jan 2019, 17:05

More update:

- greatly improved CSS loading by merging all the stylesheets into one compressed file
- collapsed user info to the right side (can be unfold by clicking the small arrow under the username)
- small optimizations to the forum spy

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Jan 2019, 17:10

Great stuff!

PS: Too bad this is just too weird, as it does improve the kerning.
dt.png
dt.png (27.08 KiB) Viewed 7084 times

Muirium
µ

08 Jan 2019, 17:28

I like it!

And I like the style improvements too, Matteo. All appreciated! Must be so many hours work.

Now, just testing something… 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Last edited by Muirium on 08 Jan 2019, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

TheInverseKey

08 Jan 2019, 17:30

matt3o wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 17:05
More update:

- greatly improved CSS loading by merging all the stylesheets into one compressed file
- collapsed user info to the right side (can be unfold by clicking the small arrow under the username)
- small optimizations to the forum spy
Wow thanks for your continued hard work and this seemed to fix all of the white space issues.

Muirium
µ

08 Jan 2019, 17:31

Indeed, it’s looking pretty boss now. And we have emoji support! 🍆

(Of course, I want the flags back in the collapsible user info. 🇺🇳🌍 As emoji.)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Jan 2019, 17:46

webwit wrote:
Great stuff!

dt.png
regarding the logo, if we go with the black background "DESK" maybe it's better to make "thority" bold and "desk" normal... I'll have to make some tests. if anyone wants to play with it, the font is Barlow Semi Condensed (wonderful typeface btw).

kbdfr
The Tiproman

08 Jan 2019, 17:54

webwit wrote:
Great stuff!

My proposal:
DT logo proposal.png
DT logo proposal.png (29.66 KiB) Viewed 7031 times

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Jan 2019, 17:55

Muirium wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 17:31
And we have emoji support! 🍆
Uh-oh 🦆. I knew that would happen - emoji support and bam, people start to post purple penises.

Return to “Deskthority talk”