(Model MF) Remodeling the Model M (aka.. the Mara)

pyrelink

27 May 2018, 19:20

Not to continue bumping but I got really excited with all the activity on this thread, only to be sad once again.

I think like wcass said, this project is a lot more than simply cad files and PCB designs. Lizard really brought everything together in a way that is both necessary for a project of this magnitude, and also rare to find in most keyboard projects.

green-squid

27 May 2018, 20:27

pyrelink wrote: Not to continue bumping but I got really excited with all the activity on this thread, only to be sad once again.

I think like wcass said, this project is a lot more than simply cad files and PCB designs. Lizard really brought everything together in a way that is both necessary for a project of this magnitude, and also rare to find in most keyboard projects.
Don't be sad dude! Soon we will be designing our very own F PCBs thanks to __red__! 8-)

xTek

28 May 2018, 00:56

__red__ wrote:
About a year ago I set up a google hangout to teach people how to design PCBs and no-one showed.

I'm happy to try again...
I'll happily join as well. Would love to learn that!

lot_lizard

08 Jan 2019, 18:10

Hey guys...

First. Let me sincerely apologize for vanishing like a ghost. Life threw me a series of events more ugly than I would ever wish on anyone. No details, that’s in the past.

Second. I think I’m officially ready to step back into the work we were all orchestrating as a community. Obviously with some improvements ;)

I need to catchup on all of the work WCass has done. Dude is a beast, and has done what beasts do. Respect for progress my friend. We need to put a bow on this original project though (now code named “Mara” after my daughter). Give me a few days to get my head around it all. I have a TON of parts from Cindy and from our work that has already been produced (very little remained). I just need to understand... again... what’s there.

But to rephrase... we are officially back

ekeppel

08 Jan 2019, 18:15

Great news - Welcome back! :-D

Muirium
µ

08 Jan 2019, 18:31

Ah, my fellow traveller also returns. Respect, good fella. Let’s turn the page and see this thing through!

Myoth

08 Jan 2019, 18:36

wow ... didn't expect that, looks like 2019 begins on a bang

Khers

08 Jan 2019, 18:56

Great news! What a start to the new year!

Welcome back, LL!

elecplus

08 Jan 2019, 18:57

Hooray!!!! I was really worried about you for awhile. I found a guy right next to you that manufactures flexible PCBs, and he knows exactly what an IBM Model F PCB is :-)

scottc

08 Jan 2019, 19:07

Fuck yeah. Welcome back!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

08 Jan 2019, 19:08

2019 is definitely looking up.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

08 Jan 2019, 19:12

Dicks out for lizzy!

Muirium
µ

08 Jan 2019, 19:18

Wodan wrote:
Dicks out for lizzy!
God save the queen!

miloica

08 Jan 2019, 19:50

This is a great way for a new year to begin. Welcome back!

lot_lizard

08 Jan 2019, 20:01

Muirium wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 19:18
Wodan wrote:
Dicks out for lizzy!
God save the queen!
Haha... back at ya boys. I have some catching up to do
Attachments
5DCEC8E0-6D83-472B-A2C8-D94C070B0049.jpeg
5DCEC8E0-6D83-472B-A2C8-D94C070B0049.jpeg (28.34 KiB) Viewed 11586 times

Muirium
µ

08 Jan 2019, 20:10

Me and you alike…
354ADCC4-C8F9-4B9A-BA9C-966A8E72F8C6.jpeg
354ADCC4-C8F9-4B9A-BA9C-966A8E72F8C6.jpeg (523.5 KiB) Viewed 11581 times
I just haven’t the heart for it. Live for the moment!

lot_lizard

08 Jan 2019, 20:15

Muirium wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 20:10
Me and you alike…

354ADCC4-C8F9-4B9A-BA9C-966A8E72F8C6.jpeg

I just haven’t the heart for it. Live for the moment!
Bwahaha... well played. Also... note to self. Never send Mu a PM 😂😂

Muirium
µ

08 Jan 2019, 20:17

Ha! I do try to reply to new ones. But yeah, I need to attend a PM’s Anonymous group someday.

hansichen

08 Jan 2019, 20:29

Wow, what a way to start into 2019. Welcome back!

lot_lizard

08 Jan 2019, 20:44

I can say I have been selfishly using our SSK for many months now. It is nothing if not well tested. I only have a few dozen hours on the 104-key, but am comfortable it is healthy as well.

Has @DMA been around? What amazing work he did. Assuming @__red__ is game if we can’t reach him. There is one minor tweak there, and it really just related to form factor fluff. Will reach out to @WCass as well about a couple potential improvements that might account for the flat plate concepts in the future. Otherwise we really did have something special all the way around. Shame it sat so long

Muirium
µ

08 Jan 2019, 20:50

All 3 of them have posted in recent days.

Oh, and I’m in California. But only for another week and a bit.

E TwentyNine

08 Jan 2019, 22:24

LL! Welcome back!

tentator

08 Jan 2019, 22:43

Wow! What a surprise LL!!
So happy to hear you back online!!!
New year, new forum, new model Mara!!!!
Send you a big virtual hug.
lot_lizard wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 18:10
Hey guys...

First. Let me sincerely apologize for vanishing like a ghost. Life threw me a series of events more ugly than I would ever wish on anyone. No details, that’s in the past.

Second. I think I’m officially ready to step back into the work we were all orchestrating as a community. Obviously with some improvements ;)

I need to catchup on all of the work WCass has done. Dude is a beast, and has done what beasts do. Respect for progress my friend. We need to put a bow on this original project though (now code named “Mara” after my daughter). Give me a few days to get my head around it all. I have a TON of parts from Cindy and from our work that has already been produced (very little remained). I just need to understand... again... what’s there.

But to rephrase... we are officially back

micrex22

09 Jan 2019, 07:50

LL, I hope your little one is doing well! Welcome back!

gianni

09 Jan 2019, 09:10

I'm happy to hear that the important things are on track again. Now it's time to spend some time on the less important things (this model f) ;-)

drevyek

09 Jan 2019, 15:28

Wow! Welcome back! I’ve been moving around a lot the last while, and each time I go through my bag of XT barrels, wondering if they’d be used again. Very glad that they will be!

Is this picking up right where it left off?

andrewjoy

09 Jan 2019, 16:00

Welcome back!!

Muirium
µ

09 Jan 2019, 17:38

drevyek wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 15:28
Is this picking up right where it left off?
Ha! As someone with their own share of real life enforced downtime, I’d say: steady there, Tex. Events like that make months seem like years, and old projects appear to have come in previous lives. Be patient, and be kind! Some of us truly need it.

Hypersphere

09 Jan 2019, 22:59

@lot_lizard: Thanks for the great news -- positive in all respects. It is really good to hear from you again.

lot_lizard

10 Jan 2019, 02:14

Hypersphere wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 22:59
Thanks for the great news -- positive in all respects
Thanks @hyper. Cherished friends are here. You are certainly the cream.

On the topic of improvements... I’m just starting to catch-up, and it has been ages. Opinions are needed!!! How widespread is the model F movement now (like really)? I did learn we are still waiting on other F projects, but saw some OBNOXIOUS eBay items when I glanced in the last few days and it makes me question the scope of lurkers that now exist.

The reason for asking, are we bigger now than we were months/years ago? Does it make sense to produce exactly what we had on a larger level because the movement is bigger? If we keep current volumes, we will only exceed known demand (back then) by 30%, with the 30% targeting the general public to fund future experiments.

Ultimately we want to keep making “stuff”. I think we sized ourselves appropriately before to have a complex project out quickly, and that goal will be maintained. We’ll always be nonprofit, but we want everyone to enjoy what we have made vs being some sparse commodity (higher volumes also equal lower prices for everyone). I hate to poll again, but we really only want to tackle this once.

Long winded... again... but this is Lizzy after all ;). Appreciate the insight

Return to “Workshop”