Typing Demo XL - Matias Click (Matias Tactile Pro)

Chyros

08 Jan 2019, 23:13

As requested by several viewers, a TDXL of my Matias Tactile Pro. The video is now also fully loopable. Hope you enjoy! :)

Elrick

09 Jan 2019, 03:12

Dear Chyros,

Where's your link to the Video?

Has Matt3o omitted it already?

Muirium
µ

09 Jan 2019, 04:50

Seems YouTube embeds are a bit borked. It's (very!) early days you know…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiK9HZQnIhk

Elrick

09 Jan 2019, 06:07

Muirium wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 04:50
Seems YouTube embeds are a bit borked. It's (very!) early days you know…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiK9HZQnIhk
Thank you Muirium :D .

Do like the sound on the Matias Clicky because it sounds that way. Who could ever love linears in any way?

Although you can easily distinguish the space bar noise presses between all the other keys. Not a fantastic sound but it's still far better than any other current made Cherry Keyboard (ie, Corsair, Razer and a thousand other nondescript keyboards).

You still have to give Matias credit here, only one to provide a Full-sized Alps keyboard for the masses, that alone is a great achievement particularly in this day and age.

Muirium
µ

09 Jan 2019, 06:19

I'd give them more credit if the damn thing was still working after 12 months.

Sacrilege as this will be to you—as typed here on a clicky Space Invader—I love linears just as much as mad clicky switches like these. Which is to say more than I do most tactiles. Linears are easy lovers…

Khers

09 Jan 2019, 07:32

Who needs a working keyboard anyway. As long as it clicks it's good enough for me.

/s

Chyros

09 Jan 2019, 08:18

Despite all the complaints about broken Matias boards, my two Matiases have never missed a beat xD . Although of course they haven't seen particularly intensive use, only roughly a week each.

That said, I'm touching on the subject in another video I have planned.

kuvisit

09 Jan 2019, 10:44

Have you got any quiet click switches you could demonstrate equally well? I'd love to hear them compared against damped cream alps in one board

St0ckz

09 Jan 2019, 10:53

I mean it sounds terrible.. I wonder who made the decision to make the case black glossy plastic, the bane of everyones life.

Chyros

09 Jan 2019, 11:33

kuvisit wrote:
Have you got any quiet click switches you could demonstrate equally well? I'd love to hear them compared against damped cream alps in one board
Yes, a Quiet is already on the list, and to your second point; yes, something like that is in the works as well :) .

kuvisit

09 Jan 2019, 11:43

Chyros wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 11:33
kuvisit wrote:
Yes, a Quiet is already on the list, and to your second point; yes, something like that is in the works as well :) .
Awwwww yissss!

SneakyRobb
THINK

09 Jan 2019, 15:41

I have this board and I greatly enjoy it and use it frequently.

Chyros...Did you take your board to a shoe shine? Seriously wow.

These things as you mentioned in your review, pick up dirt like no other. An omnikey or model m/f in a box for 20 years will have dirt on it, but it blends in. You can use a brand new black matias for 10 minutes and someone walking by will think its 20 years old.

It is almost magical just how quickly they pick up the dirt.

Chyros

09 Jan 2019, 16:11

SneakyRobb wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 15:41
I have this board and I greatly enjoy it and use it frequently.

Chyros...Did you take your board to a shoe shine? Seriously wow.

These things as you mentioned in your review, pick up dirt like no other. An omnikey or model m/f in a box for 20 years will have dirt on it, but it blends in. You can use a brand new black matias for 10 minutes and someone walking by will think its 20 years old.

It is almost magical just how quickly they pick up the dirt.
Something just occurred to me; do you reckon they went with this to mimic the Apple "board chow" keyboard? Matias have always been Apple fanboys.

Muirium
µ

09 Jan 2019, 17:29

The idea did occur to me…
Muirium wrote:
04 Jul 2013, 20:47
Matias has been making upgrade keyboards for the Mac for at least a decade, and the (frankly shite) design of Apple's previous generation of white and clear plastic keyboards still looms large across Matias' line. Even the Mac users among us (hi) don't want that look.

Matias has intriguing substance but scores a well earned meh on style. Try those switches!
Either the switches were more reliable back then, or I just hadn’t heard people complaining. These days, I’m not as hot on recommending Matias innards, to put it mildly!

Hypersphere

10 Jan 2019, 00:42

I like the sound of Matias Click switches, even in the glossy polycarbonate case. I'm not a fan of the Matias styling, however!

I've had good luck with Matias switches thus far. I have several KBP V60 boards, some with Matias Clicks and some with Matias Quiet switches. I've even done a successful top mod of one of the boards to produce hybrid Matias/Blue Alps switches -- the feel is a bit too light for my taste, but all the switches work after the painstaking surgery. I also have bags of loose Matias switches, both Click and Quiet, that so far have worked as intended.

However, I bought the Matias switches and Matias-switch keyboards a few years ago. I think that their QC issues with the Chinese plants have been more recent.

Matias has also been a good source of blank black Alps-stem keycaps and stabilizers for various Matias- and Alps-switch keyboard projects.

cineraphael

10 Jan 2019, 01:17

Matias did sound like a Simplify ALP that My Matias Tactile Pro 1 have!

Elrick

10 Jan 2019, 03:26

cineraphael wrote:
You can't compare any of Matias's Current Switches, to those manufactured years ago between mid 1980's to early 1990's.

Those ancient wonders known as 'Complicated' whilst all of Matias switches are somewhat simplified, using inferior designed internals.

Sorry to kick Matias's switches to the curb with this fact but it has to be said. His switches can never match the superior sound and feel of those old Alps switches.

Despite that, his keyboards are still way above the common, mass produced Cherry Junk. I would always choose his keyboards over any - made today Cherry using filth.

Although non-Cherry keyboards seem far better for myself. The hatred of Cherry Corp is strong here hence on wards we go, to fight more battles and to defeat more enemies of the great Alps Empire
;) .

cineraphael

10 Jan 2019, 03:42

Elrick wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 03:26
cineraphael wrote:
You can't compare any of Matias's Current Switches, to those manufactured years ago between mid 1980's to early 1990's.

Those ancient wonders known as 'Complicated' whilst all of Matias switches are somewhat simplified, using inferior designed internals.

Sorry to kick Matias's switches to the curb with this fact but it has to be said. His switches can never match the superior sound and feel of those old Alps switches.

Despite that, his keyboards are still way above the common, mass produced Cherry Junk. I would always choose his keyboards over any - made today Cherry using filth.

Although non-Cherry keyboards seem far better for myself. The hatred of Cherry Corp is strong here hence on wards we go, to fight more battles and to defeat more enemies of the great Alps Empire
;) .
I agree that it can't compare with a Complicated.ALP switch like SKCM Blue. But my Matias Tacile Pro is a First Gen made in 2003 which they still use ALP but it Simplified or known as ALP SKBM Gray. I am still wanting to try out the actual complicated ALP SKCM switches though. Unfortunately, Goodwill in my city never seem to have any ALP Keyboard.

Elrick

10 Jan 2019, 04:38

cineraphael wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 03:42
Unfortunately, Goodwill in my city never seem to have any ALP Keyboard.
You have to either rely upon Ebay here exclusively or the For Sale Forum.

You might find that elusive SKCM switched keyboard from someone who has grown tired of them. You do have rogues such as that, residing here on DT.

Return to “Keyboards”