ShivaYash

12 Jan 2019, 11:36

SA.

Khers

12 Jan 2019, 11:56

Cherry OG dyesubs

Prelim

12 Jan 2019, 12:17

Cherry OG doubleshots (even better than GMK counterparts)

hansichen

12 Jan 2019, 12:35

Cherry OG doubleshots as well, but don't ask me which colour of them looks the best :D

Myoth

12 Jan 2019, 12:41

Prelim wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 12:17
Cherry OG doubleshots (even better than GMK counterparts)
they're the same thing tho :?:

Prelim

12 Jan 2019, 13:03

no, unfortunately they aren't... as someone already pointed out, GMK actually has lower quality caps than Cherry OG. This is most likely due to some of the original tooling degradation, awful QC and maybe different plastic quality than used in original Cherry caps.

79f0167

12 Jan 2019, 13:45

Chyros wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 10:58
WHAT oon EARTH is that top left one?! Oo
NEC μcom.jpg
NEC μcom.jpg (221.91 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
NEC μcom zo.jpg
NEC μcom zo.jpg (158.39 KiB) Viewed 4754 times

Chyros

12 Jan 2019, 14:16

Wow. That's.... something =o .

fohat
Elder Messenger

12 Jan 2019, 14:45

It may sound like a pathetic cop-out, but IBM's concept of M/F stems + caps with everything in the same profile is profoundly efficient and elegant.

Hypersphere

12 Jan 2019, 14:54

There's nothing pathetic about efficiency and elegance, especially when combined!

depletedvespene

12 Jan 2019, 15:00

fohat wrote:
It may sound like a pathetic cop-out, but IBM's concept of M/F stems + caps with everything in the same profile is profoundly efficient and elegant.
Came to say this, but I disagree on it being a pathetic cop-out. IBM F/M stems+caps allow for such level of freedom in the layout rearrangements that many cool things are possible and EASY to pull off, like...

digital_matthew

12 Jan 2019, 15:15

IBM Mopar.

Muirium
µ

12 Jan 2019, 15:29

Topre cylindricals, trailed closely by and NMB’s and Cherry’s. All dyesubs. Cherry doubleshots are nice, too, but PBT always comes top for me. Apple’s vintage AEK caps are thick and playful, but just not quite as right.

Beamspring sphericals are fun, as are SA, but I just don’t spend much time with them typing. Fear of shining them or giving them all ABS sunburn? Maybe, but it ultimately comes down to what my hands prefer. Cylindricals are better.

IBM’s cylindricals are practical but boring. The caps are easily Model F’s weakspot in my view. Sterling keyfeel but lacklustre finger feel. The other classic sphericals get it so much more right.

Menuhin

12 Jan 2019, 15:36

Prelim wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 13:03
no, unfortunately they aren't... as someone already pointed out, GMK actually has lower quality caps than Cherry OG. This is most likely due to some of the original tooling degradation, awful QC and maybe different plastic quality than used in original Cherry caps.
I have this question too... like Myoth's
I just know that ABS caps are not all equal, even from Cherry itself throughout its history, as pointed out by Chyros's latest video on Cherry foam & foil keyboard.
How to qualify and quantity the potential differences can be some true science for further investigation.

Menuhin

12 Jan 2019, 15:44

Favorite keycaps to type on:

Cherry OG blank POM (or Cherry profile POM) > Topre blank PBT

Favorite keycaps to look at:

SA

Perhaps I have to get some Cherry profile sets that are more handsome than my SA...

samuelcable

12 Jan 2019, 15:47

OG cherry if its in row5 bottom row is by far my favorite. I just got cherry pbt a few days ago but i think i slightly prefer it to their abs

Hypersphere

12 Jan 2019, 17:30

Interesting question, but difficult to answer. This is like asking "What's your favorite [movie, book, song, ... ]. It depends on many things, including your mood and the task at hand.

There are many variables to consider with keycaps:

+ Switch/stem type, e.g., Topre, Alps, IBM BS, Cherry, other.
+ Vintage or contemporary keyboard.
+ Keyboard form factor.
+ Keyboard chassis.
+ Keyboard layout, e.g., ANSI, ISO, HHKB, Dvorak, Colemak, other.
+ Keycap material, e.g., ABS, PBT, other.
+ Keycap profile, e.g., Topre, IBM BS, Cherry, Leopold, OEM, DSA, SA, DCS, other.
+ Keycap tops, e.g., Spherical, cylindrical, flat, other.
+ Blank, legended, or relegendable.
+ If legended, legend type, e.g., Double- or tripleshot, dye-sublimated, shine-through (backlit).
+ If legended, legend position, e.g., Upper left, centered, lower left, front, other.
+ If legended, font and typeface, e.g., Helvetica regular, Helvetica italic, other.
+ Keycap color scheme.
+ Keycap feel (in part a function of material).
+ Keycap thickness.
+ Keycap sound (a complex function of many variables).
+ Purpose (e.g., aethetic, functional).

Although I like the appearance of some vintage spherical thick doubleshot ABS found on a variety of terminal keyboards, this design is not practical for me.
terminal-close-1c.jpg
terminal-close-1c.jpg (168.29 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
Instead, I try for the best combination of keycap variables to suit a given keyboard form factor, layout, and switch type. Generally, I tend to prefer dye-sublimated PBT cylindricals in a sculpted profile. The profile can be afforded by the keycap set or by the curvature of the board, as with IBM BS.

zslane

12 Jan 2019, 18:54

Vintage: Honeywell sphericals, IBM beamspring sphericals.

Modern: SA, MT3.

zrrion

12 Jan 2019, 22:53

I like the sculpted spherical caps you get with old SKCC boards the most. They're very nice.

Hypersphere

12 Jan 2019, 23:03

depletedvespene wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 15:00
fohat wrote:
Came to say this, but I disagree on it being a pathetic cop-out. IBM F/M stems+caps allow for such level of freedom in the layout rearrangements that many cool things are possible and EASY to pull off, like...
Spoiler:
+1

Return to “Keyboards”