Compiling Soarer's converter utilities

r_avital

09 Jan 2019, 19:42

Hello again,

I'm trying to complile the Soarer's utilities for linux. I have extracted Soarer_sctools_v1.10_source.zip to a new, clean folder. In a linux terminal, I've issued "make" and the name of the Makefile in the Linux subfolder. No errors, but I'm not sure where to find the executables, or even if they were created at all.

Any ideas, anyone? Does this need to be done in a Windows environment, and if so, with what tools?

Apologies in advance if this is beyond the scope of these forums.

Thanks!

Muirium
µ

09 Jan 2019, 23:50

I can’t speak for Linux but I did compile them myself many years ago on the Mac. I wanted PowerPC support, and I got it. Don’t remember anything particularly difficult.

Why not use the prebuilt utilities? Vaguely remember Linux files being there. Could be wrong though, it’s been forever since I started.

Mazian

11 Jan 2019, 05:15

Try running "make" from inside the tools/build/linux folder.

r_avital

13 Jan 2019, 16:05

Well, the reason I needed to recompile, is that the pre-built ones don't run on Linux 64 bit, only on 32-bit, even after installing 32-bit compatibility libraries from the Linux distribution.
However, running Make from the first-level folder in the tools (under the "source" folder) did compile them successfully.

THANKS!

Muirium
µ

13 Jan 2019, 17:30

I’ll need to do the same on the Mac version for this year’s OS update. Goes to show how long since Soarer was around.

Saltarello

28 Dec 2019, 20:45

I need to compile Soarer's utilities for Catalina. I'm not a programmer. I can compile a hello world successfully in Terminal. But when I try to recompile Soarer, I get "bad CPU type in executable".

Can anyone clue me in on how to fix this?

Thank you kindly,
S.

lhutton

01 Jan 2020, 18:36

Saltarello wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 20:45
I need to compile Soarer's utilities for Catalina. I'm not a programmer. I can compile a hello world successfully in Terminal. But when I try to recompile Soarer, I get "bad CPU type in executable".

Can anyone clue me in on how to fix this?

Thank you kindly,
S.
It's been a while and I don't have a Mac on Catalina now. I've had to make some changes to where it includes libusb/libusbx from to get it to compile on Debian 10 or Fedora. Have you changed your shell type form bash to zsh? I don't know if Bourne is included in Catalina since Apple has been purging GPL software. The lone couple of Macs I have kicking around are still on Mojave for legacy compatibility and I don't really use them every day.

Saltarello

02 Jan 2020, 18:50

I upgraded to zsh as Apple nagged. I also updated cpp to the latest. So I think the system is good. It can compile and run a simple program error free.
I think I'll concentrate on locating where the CPU type is specified in the Soarer source and what it needs to be changed to.
Was hoping someone here could point this out. But hopefully it won't be too tedious to figure out.

Razerban

13 Nov 2020, 23:41

Saltarello wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 18:50
I upgraded to zsh as Apple nagged. I also updated cpp to the latest. So I think the system is good. It can compile and run a simple program error free.
I think I'll concentrate on locating where the CPU type is specified in the Soarer source and what it needs to be changed to.
Was hoping someone here could point this out. But hopefully it won't be too tedious to figure out.
This might all your problems: https://github.com/Kreeblah/sctools_macos

Return to “Keyboards”