Overall opinions on the IBM model M2

Dingster

05 Jan 2019, 17:29

After finding 2 cheap model M2's and fixing one up, I have been using this M2 for about a week or two over my model M, and apart from the stabilizers I think I like it more than the model M (oddly enough). Again I dont think a week or two are enough to make that decision, but I like the feel and the sound a lot more, and the smaller footprint is welcome. Ive been using a model M for around 1.5 years prior to this.

What are some overall opinions on the keyboard, if we ignore the capactior issues? :)

Noobmaen

05 Jan 2019, 17:31

I had an M2 for a short time and felt like the keyfeel was unexpectedly consistent, it was definitely a a nice surprise after reading many negative opinions about the board.

Dingster

05 Jan 2019, 17:33

Noobmaen wrote: I had an M2 for a short time and felt like the keyfeel was unexpectedly consistent, it was definitely a a nice surprise after reading many negative opinions about the board.
For me its very consistent, not really lighter or heavier than the model M, but it just feels more crisp. Going back and typing on a model M now it feels like its muffled or something. Only bad thing I can say about it is that the stabilizers used on every stabilized key that isnt the spacebar is pretty bad as in like that you feel the key going down on one side more than on the other.

Muirium
µ

05 Jan 2019, 18:12

I like the M2. Highly underrated keyboard. When they work, they're really pretty nice. I've found they're more consistent than Model Ms, whether this is by design or the lesser years of use I do not know. Model Ms can deteriorate badly in ways the M2 seems to be more resilient against. But then again, I've never had an M with a shattered spacebar! Can't say that about my M2s…

Agreed on the form factor, too. I love my SSKs, but I'm intrigued to think what a TKL M2 would look and feel like. Trouble is, those M2s really are a can of worms, under tension, sealed in plastic.

fohat
Elder Messenger

05 Jan 2019, 18:43

Muirium wrote:
Model Ms can deteriorate badly in ways the M2 seems to be more resilient against.
I agree that the M2 could have been a success if they had simply shrunk the M without monkeying around with the fundamental construction concepts.

But I am curious about your statement above, I would have said the exact opposite. What components are more resilient?

Dingster

05 Jan 2019, 18:51

Muirium wrote: I like the M2. Highly underrated keyboard. When they work, they're really pretty nice. I've found they're more consistent than Model Ms, whether this is by design or the lesser years of use I do not know. Model Ms can deteriorate badly in ways the M2 seems to be more resilient against. But then again, I've never had an M with a shattered spacebar! Can't say that about my M2s…

Agreed on the form factor, too. I love my SSKs, but I'm intrigued to think what a TKL M2 would look and feel like. Trouble is, those M2s really are a can of worms, under tension, sealed in plastic.
Yes, ive been thinking about making some sort of custom keyboard from the remains of the other M2...but thats seems quite a feat, especially after opening it :?

Muirium
µ

05 Jan 2019, 19:04

A particular IBM dream board for me would be a Bluetooth converted M2 TKL. The layout is perfect, and the body is tight, the light weight is appealing; even the caps are quite a pretty schema. The matrix is bare for all to play with, but that snappy plastic case is the daunting part.
fohat wrote: But I am curious about your statement above, I would have said the exact opposite. What components are more resilient?
That's the thing. The components should be weaker than M1s. But I've had 3 M2s, and all of them—even the one with the smashed spacebar—felt just as good as one another. I've had something like 10 Ms come my way, meanwhile, and they vary wildly. Even my NIB SSK is a bit iffy, thanks to the scampering of tiny plastic rivets inside its untouched case. Gah!
Spoiler:
Can't claim I'm an expert—I'm sure you and others have handled hundreds of Ms, not just a dozen—but in my own experience, M2s seem to hold up more reliably than Ms, even those still sleeping in their original shipping boxes.

Dingster

05 Jan 2019, 19:31

Muirium wrote: A particular IBM dream board for me would be a Bluetooth converted M2 TKL. The layout is perfect, and the body is tight, the light weight is appealing; even the caps are quite a pretty schema. The matrix is bare for all to play with, but that snappy plastic case is the daunting part.
fohat wrote: But I am curious about your statement above, I would have said the exact opposite. What components are more resilient?
That's the thing. The components should be weaker than M1s. But I've had 3 M2s, and all of them—even the one with the smashed spacebar—felt just as good as one another. I've had something like 10 Ms come my way, meanwhile, and they vary wildly. Even my NIB SSK is a bit iffy, thanks to the scampering of tiny plastic rivets inside its untouched case. Gah!
Spoiler:
Can't claim I'm an expert—I'm sure you and others have handled hundreds of Ms, not just a dozen—but in my own experience, M2s seem to hold up more reliably than Ms, even those still sleeping in their original shipping boxes.
Havent really had any NIB model M's, but the 3 used ones I did all had all rivets intact. Guess I was just lucky.

fohat
Elder Messenger

05 Jan 2019, 20:28

Muirium wrote:
Even my NIB SSK is a bit iffy, thanks to the scampering of tiny plastic rivets inside its untouched case
I got one of the NIB SSKs from Cindy's sale a few years ago, and over half of the rivets were broken, including almost all of them at one end.

My process now, when I get a Model M, is to either give it a quick cleaning and re-sell it, or else rip it completely apart and do a thorough cleaning and bolt-mod. That said, on my storage shelf I do have a stock 1391041 from 1991 that I have not altered or messed with, and it still feels great with just a couple of broken rivets.

PS - I have had a few Greenock Ms (all from the mid-late 1990s) and they were noticeably inferior to any of my US-made ones.

Dingster

05 Jan 2019, 20:44

fohat wrote:
Muirium wrote:
Even my NIB SSK is a bit iffy, thanks to the scampering of tiny plastic rivets inside its untouched case
I got one of the NIB SSKs from Cindy's sale a few years ago, and over half of the rivets were broken, including almost all of them at one end.

My process now, when I get a Model M, is to either give it a quick cleaning and re-sell it, or else rip it completely apart and do a thorough cleaning and bolt-mod. That said, on my storage shelf I do have a stock 1391041 from 1991 that I have not altered or messed with, and it still feels great with just a couple of broken rivets.

PS - I have had a few Greenock Ms (all from the mid-late 1990s) and they were noticeably inferior to any of my US-made ones.
Dang all my model M's are Greenocks, sucks being an euro I guess :lol:

fohat
Elder Messenger

06 Jan 2019, 15:13

Dingster wrote:
Dang all my model M's are Greenocks, sucks being an euro I guess
The early ones may well be equal in quality to the US-made ones (I have never had any of the Mexicans) but somehow the peripheral business was spun off to Lexmark some time around 1992, here, but apparently they kept chugging along as IBM in the UK.

It may have been that the quality started eroding from that point.

AJM

06 Jan 2019, 16:13

Dingster wrote: ......
Not necessarily. I can't say anything about Model Ms, but from my experience so far all UK-made Model Fs felt a bit better than the US versions.

Dingster

06 Jan 2019, 16:44

AJM wrote:
Dingster wrote: ......
Not necessarily. I can't say anything about Model Ms, but from my experience so far all UK-made Model Fs felt a bit better than the US versions.
Sadly dont own a model F. Finding an affordable one here is hard.

Muirium
µ

06 Jan 2019, 17:10

They vary about as much as Model Ms. But their humblebrag payload is consistently solid.

Dingster

06 Jan 2019, 18:56

Muirium wrote: They vary about as much as Model Ms. But their humblebrag payload is consistently solid.
But thats not just any model F. Id be happy with a good ol XT :lol:

Touch_It

07 Jan 2019, 17:47

I have one in poor shape, but I really like mine. My probably unpopular opinion (don't kill me) is that it feels like a hybrid between a model M and a model F. I quite like it. I'd like to get a good condition one, or a refurbed one to use, as working on them is dreadful, and the construction is quite poor.

Muirium
µ

07 Jan 2019, 18:13

I have an M2 in great shape, and to be honest I like its feel better than most Model Ms I’ve tried. Condition is everything. Despite their reputation, Ms are as finicky and flaky that way as Alps!

Chyros

07 Jan 2019, 20:08

IMO it was scratchier and stiffer than the M. On average I mean; as Mu said, condition plays a large part, though I've had the luxury of owning about a dozen M2s and over two dozen Ms.

I also prefer the look and solid feel of the M, although I can understand why some prefer the slightly smaller footprint of the M2.

Dingster

07 Jan 2019, 20:13

Chyros wrote:
IMO it was scratchier and stiffer than the M. On average I mean; as Mu said, condition plays a large part, though I've had the luxury of owning about a dozen M2s and over two dozen Ms.

I also prefer the look and solid feel of the M, although I can understand why some prefer the slightly smaller footprint of the M2.
Interesting mine isnt scratchy and doesnt really feel that stiffer. Yea the build quality is bad compared to a model M, but is still miles ahead compared to anything cherry.

Chyros

07 Jan 2019, 20:18

Dingster wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 20:13
Chyros wrote:

Interesting mine isnt scratchy and doesnt really feel that stiffer. Yea the build quality is bad compared to a model M, but is still miles ahead compared to anything cherry.
I should add that the latter is definitely true. It's not a beast like the M, but I tried to break an M2 across my knee (a broken one), and found I couldn't do it, as hard as I tried. Sure, the clips went flying everywhere, but I couldn't snap or actually break the case itself. I was very suprised, as it feels so flimsy, and flexes so much!

depletedvespene

14 Jan 2019, 03:29

fohat wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 20:28
Now you need to compare them against the units made in Mexico as well...

fohat
Elder Messenger

14 Jan 2019, 03:46

depletedvespene wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 03:29

Now you need to compare them against the units made in Mexico as well...
I have seen Mexican-made Ms but never used one.

orihalcon

25 Jan 2019, 03:59

The most legendary Mexico manufactured Model M's are the black M13's, so there should be quite a few people who have used those. I find all model M's seem to vary quite a bit from each other in terms of feel and sound even if they were manufactured in the same month/year by the same manufacturer. If I could recommend avoiding one type of Model M, it would be those that have the small controllers in the upper right hand corner of the keyboard. There are some that were made in the UK and most Unicomp boards are like this. Not that they might not feel nice, they just seem less repairable. The contact mechanism to hold the controller to the membrane seems much less reliable. They also don't have detachable cables, so if the originals are damaged or in rough shape, it's not as easy to replace them.

Dingster

25 Jan 2019, 19:12

orihalcon wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 03:59
The most legendary Mexico manufactured Model M's are the black M13's, so there should be quite a few people who have used those. I find all model M's seem to vary quite a bit from each other in terms of feel and sound even if they were manufactured in the same month/year by the same manufacturer. If I could recommend avoiding one type of Model M, it would be those that have the small controllers in the upper right hand corner of the keyboard. There are some that were made in the UK and most Unicomp boards are like this. Not that they might not feel nice, they just seem less repairable. The contact mechanism to hold the controller to the membrane seems much less reliable. They also don't have detachable cables, so if the originals are damaged or in rough shape, it's not as easy to replace them.
Yea both of the model M's with non removable cables, had the cable damaged from where the cable was rubbing against the case. Same with a model M my friend has. Wrapping the cable in electrical tape right on the exit from the case helps...somewhat.

Return to “Keyboards”