[TUTORIAL] Connect the Wey Tek Mk06 (firmware v1.26) to a modern computer

Louka

16 Jan 2019, 20:19

Hi guys!

Earlier this month, I received a Way Tek Mk06. The overall rarity of the keyboard amalgamated with the very little documentation available on the Internet convinced me to buy a model and try to make it work on my own computer via USB. I finally managed to get it functional, and as a matter of fact, I am writing this article with the keyboard!

This is what I did to set up my Wey Tek Mk06 to my computer. Your process might be different depending on your type of Connector Box and firmware version. I don't currently know how to upgrade or otherwise downgrade the firmware and how other connector boxes work. My current firmware version is 1.26 and i have a Connector Box Model IV.

Components necessary:
  • Connector Box Model IV, with its power supply.
  • A USB 2.0 Type A to Type B cable (or Type B to Type B if your computer supports it)
  • An IEEE-1284 to IEEE-1284 Type C cable (you can purchase one here)
Steps:
  1. Press the tiny red button on the back of your keyboard to reset it to its default settings.
  2. Plug the USB 2.0 cable into your Connector Box's USB 1 port and into your computer.
  3. Plug the IEEE-1284 cable into your Connector Box and into your Wey Tek keyboard. If your Connector Box is connected to its power supply, the keyboard should boot immediately. Your setup should look like this:
  4. Arrived at the splash screen, press the CTRL + ALT + Logoff/System buttons simultaneously. You should land on red configuration screen.
  5. Navigating the configuration screen is done using the buttons above and below the screen, along with ESC/RETURN to return and save options. Enter CONFIG WS 1.
  6. Toggle WIN NT EMU and enter VIA DLINK EXTERN.
  7. Press CLEAR ALL ADDR, press USB1 30 (if the option is yellow, press ENTER) and then press EXIT WITH SAVE.
  8. Press ENTER and then ESC until the keyboard reboots.
  9. Arrived at the splash screen, press the WS1 button next to ESC.
  10. Ta-da! Your keyboard should be functional and usable with a modern computer!
Here's my keyboard in all of its functional beauty:

You can toggle it off at any time by simply pressing WS1. If you have more than a single USB-A to USB-B cable, you could set up a second computer by following the same steps but going into WS2 instead of WS1. Neat, uh?

If you have any questions, you can ask them here and I'll try to answer them. Cheers!

05 Mar 2019, 08:27

Hey, I am a newbie.
Purchased Converter Box va from Germany, connected to the keyboard, can work initially. So I want to find more features, maybe the parameter settings are messed up, and now I can't connect to the PC. The RESET button on the back of the keyboard does not depend on resetting the keyboard parameters. I want to reset the parameters completely. My firmware V1.17 doesn't seem too different from yours. In addition, I downloaded the manual on the Internet and did not find the [TEST MENU] option on the keyboard. My email address: sunxkui@yeah.net
Attachments
qwr.png
qwr.png (1.61 MiB) Viewed 5995 times
QWE.png
QWE.png (93.24 KiB) Viewed 5995 times

jgaynor

01 Sep 2019, 22:09

Thank you for this, Louka. Would you be willing to dump and share your MK06's config? I too have both an MK06 and a connector box IV, but my MK06's config is lacking. It doesn't have a generic PC keyboard emulation config, and no mappings for the connector box IV. The inputs in the 'DLINK EXTERN' section are unlabeled and apparently unconfigured - I've tried all 16 available hex addresses and neither of my USB ports ever work.

You'd need a flash drive formatted fat32, with 2 folders on it: MK_WR06\Download . Once inserted into the back of the keyboard it will give you the option to upload or download. You want upload in this case. The entire file structure should only be a few megs. The process is detailed on page 44 of the manual here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3l12 ... 3d4dU1MSjQ

In the name of reciprocity I'm sharing mine here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kDPJnE ... sp=sharing

I'd like to start a small repository of these since WEY support continues to give us the middle finger.

Pics of my pretty but nonfunctional baby:
https://imgur.com/a/gOeoWwN?

bestimmaa

09 Sep 2019, 22:16

@jgaynor Do you still need a config? Just setup my MK06! Works flawlessly with mouse / keyboard for WS1 using USB 1/2 of the connection box.

Louka

18 Sep 2019, 15:41

Oh wow, I forgot this website existed!

I'm planning to buy a second mk06 unit very soon for reverse engineering. I kept the one I shown in the post as a "good enough" functional unit, but I'll go and try breaking another to discover its mysteries :P

Here I go collecting many many keyboards

ghojezz

12 Oct 2019, 20:01

bestimmaa wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 22:16
@jgaynor Do you still need a config? Just setup my MK06! Works flawlessly with mouse / keyboard for WS1 using USB 1/2 of the connection box.
Hi! if it's possible can you provide the config file?
Mine is using Va module box, current firmware (MainModule) is v2.24

Return to “Workshop”