DT Update Log and TODO

Muirium
µ

16 Jan 2019, 16:55

Techno Trousers wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 15:48
Apologies if this has already been asked and answered. I've been primarily interacting with Deskthority via Tapatalk for the last few years, mainly for convenience and consistency with other forums, but especially for the timely push notifications. It's now completely broken as of the latest changes. Any chance this will be addressed, or is Tapatalk support ended for good now?

On a positive note, I do like how the site works on mobile now.
Ah, I knew something was missing lately:

search.php?keywords=Tapatalk

—Sent from my relief from all that damn app’s hundreds of instances self promotional litter

andrewjoy

16 Jan 2019, 17:26

Do people use mobile/ tablet for anything other than reading ebooks and checking twitter whist your having a number 2 ? ( i like to only check twitter whist having a crap , then i know its crap in one end crap out the other :lol: )

I was under the impression that all that mobile web browsing and "app" suff was a fad form a few years ago and we have all gone back to deskotps and laptops like normal people.

Also for some reason the wbsite looks way better on my laptop (1080p 133% zoom) than on my 4k (home)or dual 1200p monitors (work)? Very odd. All using the same browser too! Is this the power of thinkpad ?

Muirium
µ

16 Jan 2019, 17:50

I use DT about evenly split between phone, tablet and laptop/desktop. So I see the adaptive layout doing its thing every which way!

There’s only so much of the day I’m plunked down in front of a computer. A lot of what I do on DT is swoop in via the Spy to check up while waiting a minute or two, wherever I am with the phone.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Jan 2019, 18:17

Do you still have connection issues @Muirium?

Muirium
µ

16 Jan 2019, 18:47

Haven’t noticed any in the last couple of days. Will tell you if I see one!

_PixelNinja

17 Jan 2019, 00:18

Just wanted to say thanks for reconsidering the thread name font — it's much less fatiguing on the eyes as it is now. Keep up the good work!

kokokoy

17 Jan 2019, 03:37

Anyone else having issues browsing on mobile (using iphone)? I've been unable to go to the thread on my 3rd day now. A blank page comes up w/o any headers or anything with just the text below.

"An error occured.

Sorry, the page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
Please try again later.

If you are the system administrator of this resource then you should check the error log for details.

Faithfully yours, nginx."

Muirium
µ

17 Jan 2019, 03:45

I browse DT with my iPhone a lot. (Current version of iOS, using Safari.) Haven't seen such an error. I was getting this one a *lot* on iPhone, iPad and Mac but it seems to have vanished with Matteo's move to nginx.

Got a link for the thread where you're hitting this? Or it every thread on DT?

kokokoy

17 Jan 2019, 04:34

Haven't come across that one.

It's on every thread.

Muirium
µ

17 Jan 2019, 05:43

Well, I’m on my iPhone now and no problem here. Maybe a content blocker issue? I use Firefox Focus as mine, with no trouble.

kokokoy

17 Jan 2019, 05:50

Was using safari. I just installed chrome on my phone and replying with it now.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Jan 2019, 08:43

why it always has to be safari?

do you get this problem right now @kokokoy, because I'm checking the error log on your IP and I can't find anything wrong? (like you are not even connecting to the server).

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Jan 2019, 10:03

kokokoy wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 05:50
Was using safari. I just installed chrome on my phone and replying with it now.
okay I did a bit of research it seems it could be caused by a corrupted cookie. Can you try to clean your cookie/cache for deskthority and try to re-login?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Jan 2019, 10:05

Corrupted cookie or as we call them "FIFA Executive Cookies"

andrewjoy

17 Jan 2019, 11:31

_PixelNinja wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 00:18
Just wanted to say thanks for reconsidering the thread name font — it's much less fatiguing on the eyes as it is now. Keep up the good work!
Indeed its much better now :).

We just now need to get rid of the silly title above each post !

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Jan 2019, 11:37

I updated the wiki to 1.32, it's a major update and something didn't work as expected (I had to remove some old skins but added a new one). Please report any issue.

kokokoy

17 Jan 2019, 11:52

matt3o wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 10:03
okay I did a bit of research it seems it could be caused by a corrupted cookie. Can you try to clean your cookie/cache for deskthority and try to re-login?
That worked. Cleared all history and website data. Replying on safari now.

Thanks.

mind_prepared

17 Jan 2019, 16:36

matt3o wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 13:33
mind_prepared wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 13:17
what happened to my thread? did you delete it? other-f61/ibm-model-m-bluetooth-usb-hyb ... controller

Where do I turn to inquire about technical issue on DT?
okay that's what happened. On the previous version we had a system that automatically moved old posts in the market into a sort of "archive" section. To do so there was an auto pruning feature, unfortunately I didn't notice that until it was too late and the pruning already happened. Now it's fixed but some of the older threads are gone. It wouldn't be a big issue since I have the backup and technically it would be possible to restore them, but being the market I didn't bother since usually posts on the market have a very limited lifespan. Sorry, about that. Let me know if I can help you in any way to restore your data.

@andrewjoy category colors is in to-do. Today I'm working on something completely new, I hope I'll be able to post it later. Discourse would be quite a jump in the dark, I don't believe we would even able to restore what we already have.
well, erm, I do understand that I'm not entitled to anything since my subscription and all the benefits reaped thereof are free of charge, however, this is quite maddening. I'm offering the conversion kits for sale, hence I must place the thread within the Marketplace section of the forum, but the offer is permanent and the thread had thousands of views and quite a lot of comments as it also served as a feedback thread for DT members who had already bought a kit. It was also the main thread linked to in the documentation provided along with every purchase so about 100+ users are now no longer able to find the thread if they should try to look it up in their email history. Additionally, German computer magazine c't has recently reviewed the controller board and is linking to the thread on their homepage, so their readers cannot find the thread anymore and consequently will not discover Deskthority either.

I would really appreciate if you were so kind as to restore the thread in its most recent state. If possible, please combine the thread with my other conversion kit thread as by now all M series boards are supported. The only reason I created a second thread was to allow other members to vote and make suggestions as to which additional M series boards to support in the future. This thread also contains useful information and ought not to be deleted either.

Even better would be a new entry in the Wiki replacement controller section, but then again, that's probably too much asked, Deskthority is for the people not the profit.

Appreciate it

Cheers

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Jan 2019, 17:19

mind_prepared wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 16:36
well, erm, I do understand that I'm not entitled to anything since my subscription and all the benefits reaped thereof are free of charge,
it's not that, it's just that the forum/server update has been pretty intense and some hiccup was to be expected. I don't like what happened to the market, but to my defense it was really hard to predict and I actually found out what happened by chance while reorganizing the forums.

I see no issues in posting in the wiki as long as it's not an advertisement but you give actual information.

Regarding the recovery of the old thread I'll do my best but I have to see what's the best way of restoring it from the backup (don't think I can just reinsert it into the db, anyone?). A very quick solution if you want would be to create a new thread and I can do so the old one redirects there.

mind_prepared

17 Jan 2019, 17:30

thanks for your efforts, I do appreciate it.

The best solution would be to restore the original thread. If you can do that then please don't bother with a workaround. If not it doesn't matter since all the posts by members and users are gone anyway and that's what really made it useful.

Well, a wiki entry on Deskthority will very likely - despite the main purpose of providing a decent support base (I have no homepage and I'm not running a business) also incite more people to buy a replacement controller. It will always come across like an endorsement. Just the same as the wiki entry on the Model M keyboard is likely to incite people to buy a Model M keyboard because the Model M is 'official'. Anyway, what are the official guidelines on DT? Who decides who's eligible to get on the Wiki?

Appreciate it,

Cheers

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Jan 2019, 18:01

mind_prepared wrote:
thanks for your efforts, I do appreciate it.

The best solution would be to restore the original thread. If you can do that then please don't bother with a workaround. If not it doesn't matter since all the posts by members and users are gone anyway and that's what really made it useful.
I'll do my best to restore it, it might take a few days though.
mind_prepared wrote:
Anyway, what are the official guidelines on DT? Who decides who's eligible to get on the Wiki?
anyone is eligible. the community decides if what you posted is acceptable.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Jan 2019, 20:52

I'm attacking the enemy on multiple fronts

Today I activated the forum spy on the discord server.
Screenshot_20190117_204600.jpg
Screenshot_20190117_204600.jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 13953 times
next would be to add a picture in the spy if present (both discord and forum)...

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Jan 2019, 23:06

Ah yes the completed fs, wtb, etc. topics. Not the highest prio, but if possible, it would be good to restore these somewhere, even if just in the archive, because some wiki topics and search engine links (good for seo) link to those. You know, some guys posts details and photos about a keyboard which ended up in those completed topics, and people search for that particular product by wiki or search engine.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Jan 2019, 23:44

webwit wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 23:06
Ah yes the completed fs, wtb, etc. topics. Not the highest prio, but if possible, it would be good to restore these somewhere, even if just in the archive, because some wiki topics and search engine links (good for seo) link to those. You know, some guys posts details and photos about a keyboard which ended up in those completed topics, and people search for that particular product by wiki or search engine.
IDs are not reused so it shouldn't be a problem to recover them, but I'm pretty sure phpbb does some other shit when adding a new post (indexing for example). I have to check on that.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Jan 2019, 09:23

The following is an updated and not exhaustive to-do

Please if you can help with anything let me know
  • Forum content
    • About page, a quick and straight to the point page about DT (moderation policies and whatnot)
    • News & Review, try to push the news/review sections
    • Better donation page
  • Forum backend
    • Find out what it takes to restore some of the lost marketplace posts
    • Fix CSS glitches (mostly alignment, color, padding issues)
    • Remove post subject in a not hacky way
    • Add the "message" back to email notification
    • Visual Message Editor, check if we can integrate SCEditor, I believe everything works but we have to integrate the file upload API
  • Wiki
    • We need a wiki maintainer, someone who checks software and plugin updates, makes updates/fixes to the design and whatnot
    • Find a way to install Parsoid and Visual Editor
    • Better image upload
    • Git integration if possible
    • Wiki Spy
  • Misc
    • Find better ways to fight spam, possibly integrating stopforumspam
    • Check feasibility of a new forum software
    • Improve the Discord bot

andrewjoy

18 Jan 2019, 10:53

• Users name in a post is duplicated , once above the post once on the side.
  • Possibly add a dark mode for wiki and form
  • Links in the quick links drop down are repeated at the bottom right of the page ( duplicate information)
  • Horizontal space taken up by users name / avatar is still too much
  • Move avatar back to left of page

Scarpia

18 Jan 2019, 17:23

Seems like we are down to minute details, great job!!!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

18 Jan 2019, 22:40

Good job indeed! It's getting better and better every day!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jan 2019, 10:37

I've added to the list

* Fix jump to the latest post
* Fix dates not refreshed on forum spy
* Add link to last unread post in forum spy
* Remove users name duplicates from posts
* Dark theme

More things need to be done, but I have quite an intense to-do already

Again, if you can help with anything (see list in the first post) just let me know!

mcmaxmcmc

20 Jan 2019, 05:15

Do we have a way to find out the source of the pictures in the background still?

Return to “Deskthority talk”