Fixing bent plate

Aran.E99

21 Jan 2019, 15:37

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask.

Got a Monterey K102 in the post today only to find out something heavy has been sitting on the keyboard causing the plate to bend (only at the top). Is there any way to fix this without desoldering all the switches? I've pondered the idea of desoldering the switches around the bent area, clamping it then using something to push it back out but I'd like some suggestions before I go bending a keyboard. To make matters worse, the PCB is a bit bent too.
Bent plate.jpg
Bent plate.jpg (128.15 KiB) Viewed 4812 times

Findecanor

21 Jan 2019, 17:05

I think at least the PCB should flex back on its own even if the metal plate doesn't.
Some plates were made from somewhat soft steel that takes a shape more easily.

vvp

21 Jan 2019, 18:40

I would put it in a vise with padding:
  • wooden plate (about 1 cm thick)
  • polystyrene (about 1.5 cm thick)
  • keyboard
  • polystyrene
  • wooden plate
Then bent it back by pressing on it through another wooden plate and polystyrene layers ... and pray for best. If it would not work afterwards then it is time for for desoldering.

Aran.E99

24 Jan 2019, 14:04

Update - tried vvp's method (towel instead of polystyrene) and gently clamped it. It worked very well but I had to use my thumbs and bend the entire board a little. The plastic case is also bent so obviously it will slowly bend the plate back but this is fine.

Thanks!!

anastefanyuk

11 Feb 2021, 11:28

Had the same issue, tried VVP's method - helped me a lot, thank you, now everything is fine.

Return to “Workshop”