Leading Edge Model M keyboard "8815K" review (Keytek inductive)

Chyros

02 Feb 2019, 10:49

Today we look at what appears to be a very rare keyboard with a very rare switch design. Also, there's a fair bit of history behind this one. Hope you enjoy the video! :)

Sangdrax

02 Feb 2019, 15:52

This is one of my favorite kinds of switch types, and it's so hard to find ones that are compatible with modern PC's or converters. That's why it's such a shame the keyfeel on this isn't very good.

Chyros

02 Feb 2019, 16:02

Sangdrax wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 15:52
This is one of my favorite kinds of switch types, and it's so hard to find ones that are compatible with modern PC's or converters. That's why it's such a shame the keyfeel on this isn't very good.
It might be salvageable with some lubricant or something. Although it'll still be fairly stiff I imagine.

JP!

02 Feb 2019, 16:17

Great review. Cool keyboard.

Lbibass

02 Feb 2019, 18:01

I saw a board with these switches either on Taobao or ebay the other day, let me see if I can find the listing.

EDIT: It was the other board that you mentioned! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Prime- ... 3494841848
It stood out to me mainly because it seemed like it would be a keytronic foam and foil board from the placement of the LEDs and the font, but then it wasn't!

Chyros

02 Feb 2019, 18:37

Lbibass wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 18:01
I saw a board with these switches either on Taobao or ebay the other day, let me see if I can find the listing.

EDIT: It was the other board that you mentioned! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Prime- ... 3494841848
It stood out to me mainly because it seemed like it would be a keytronic foam and foil board from the placement of the LEDs and the font, but then it wasn't!
Yes, those use switches that look like the ADI type.

derzemel

02 Feb 2019, 18:46

very interesting switches. I wonder why Keytek chose to use induction, instead of Hall effect for their switches

digital_matthew

02 Feb 2019, 18:55

Gotta love a keyboard with built-in toroidal amplifiers. :D

zrrion

02 Feb 2019, 21:31

If hall effect sensors were more expensive than multiplexers and transformers then they might have used inductance for cost reasons

Return to “Reviews”