The new paintjob of my beamy beamspring

PlacaFromHell

03 Feb 2019, 21:22

So, the gray matte paint worn off and I also got bored of the greek caps, so here is the final potato version of my beamspring:

It's a bit dirty, I don't clean the keycaps in a while ago.

ZedTheMan

03 Feb 2019, 21:26

I like the colorscheme! You've got a real beauty on your hands.

PlacaFromHell

03 Feb 2019, 21:28

Unfortunately the IBM logo worn a bit because of the duct tape. Anyway isn't that bad.

Hypersphere

03 Feb 2019, 23:39

Looks good. Did you use spray paint? If so, which brand and color?

When you say duct tape, do you mean that you used duct tape to mask the IBM badge for painting? Better to use masking tape. Alternatively, some people remove badges for painting and then reapply them afterward -- I'm not good at this and tend to damage the badges and, if present, the LED overlays. I've had better luck with masking.

PlacaFromHell

04 Feb 2019, 00:05

Yes. A can of Rust-Oleum nutmeg Ultra Cover, and a matte fosco finishing of the same line. I removed all the texture with a polishing machine and sanded the entire thing with a wet 500 sandpaper. The texture tends to remove the paint for some strange reason.
Yes, the tape for masking. I didn't had painting tape, so I used that "general purpose" gray tape. Is even harder than remove the badges of the plastic cases so it wasn't an option. I saw reproduction badges with very good quality, but my idea is restore this one, and if I can without remove it. I was crying inside when I saw my ultra expensive daily driver completely sanded.
Well, if you have a beamspring to paint, and no money for powdercoating, this is a very good option.

Findecanor

04 Feb 2019, 00:20

To be honest, it reminds me of plastic that has yellowed so much in the sun that it has turned brown.
Not to complain about the stylistic choice... I have myself considered painting keyboards in two-tone beige and light brown.

hansichen

04 Feb 2019, 00:28

PlacaFromHell wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 21:22
... I also got bored of the greek caps ...
These greek caps sound interesting. Do you have a picture of them? I do love all the different localisations of beamspring keyboards. Especially the cyrillic ones with mono-legends are such a special thing.

JP!

04 Feb 2019, 00:36

Very industrial look. Reminds me of a brown Selectric typewriter :) Also it should be possible to reproduce that badge for a super fresh look.

PlacaFromHell

04 Feb 2019, 01:24

Findecanor wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 00:20
To be honest, it reminds me of plastic that has yellowed so much in the sun that it has turned brown.
Not to complain about the stylistic choice... I have myself considered painting keyboards in two-tone beige and light brown.
Everyone has his own taste :D I like the Televideo looking.
hansichen wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 00:28
These greek caps sound interesting. Do you have a picture of them? I do love all the different localisations of beamspring keyboards. Especially the cyrillic ones with mono-legends are such a special thing.
They are Selectric keycaps. I only saw two sets in greek, one black and one gray. There you have:

The edgy beamspring
JP! wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 00:36
Very industrial look. Reminds me of a brown Selectric typewriter :) Also it should be possible to reproduce that badge for a super fresh look.
I can also cut a black Selectric badge for that industrial look :) Loots of cool solutions.

hansichen

04 Feb 2019, 10:01

Looks nice, especially with the front legends :D

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

04 Feb 2019, 17:59

Impressive !

Return to “Gallery”