Working PS/2-USB converter for CH Products Rollermouse?

Ozric

07 Feb 2019, 08:01

I recently purchased a CH Products Rollermouse off of Ebay. This is the PS/2 version and the converter I had does not seem to work with it. Can anyone recommend me a converter that is known to work with this particular trackball?

Muirium
µ

07 Feb 2019, 10:15

Sounds like it needs an active converter. What you’ve got is likely a passive converter: a simpler thing that just exposes dual mode support inside the connected device. The Rollermouse probably has no usb function at all to expose. It needs active protocol conversion.

We encounter this all the time with keyboards. We even have made our own converters. But with pointing devices… my knowledge runs out.

andrewjoy

07 Feb 2019, 12:39

You need an active converter

I have used this model with a CST and a microspeed and it worked fine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-USB-PS-C ... PS2+to+USB

Ozric

07 Feb 2019, 19:55

I had purchased what was advertised as an active adapter, looking like this.

However either this particular one is broken or the product itself is no good, because when I plug it into my PC, Windows 10 says that it's a broken USB device and does not want to enable it.

I have confirmed that the trackball is functional in another machine that has PS/2 ports on the motherboard.

I will check out the adapter linked, and see if I can get it shipped to my location, or see if I can find the same product locally.

Archie

07 Feb 2019, 20:37

I know this converter very well. Often, they're suffering from poor soldering quality: one of USB wires is probably disconnected in your case. They are good as a source of small PCB inside, to be embedded into old PS/2 devices for converting to USB. Actually, using one of them right now BTW...

Darkshado

08 Feb 2019, 05:16

Pro Micro clone + TMK Onekey with the PS/2 mouse support enabled, it's what I've done to revive an old Microspeed.

Archie

08 Feb 2019, 12:16

I use such methods, too, when something fancy is needed. But for basic devices with up to 3 buttons, Chinese $1 converter with no programming required is hard to beat.

HzFaq

11 Feb 2019, 10:39

There was a cracking converstion project a few years back if you're feeling up to something a little more in depth, see below link.

viewtopic.php?t=9874

Archie

11 Feb 2019, 11:21

It was not PS/2 trackball.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”