Sould I linear mod my Acer 6311-1?

abrahamstechnology

10 Feb 2019, 19:58

I am in the process of restoring an Acer 6311 keyboard. I am debating whether to linear mod this board or not. Since there are no electrical contacts in Acer switches, I completely soaked them in lubricant and when you take out the click leaf, they are now very smooth, perhaps as smooth as linear-modded Black Alps. Perhaps I can refit and sell this board as a gaming board (also doing an internal USB conversion) On the other hand, the lubricant seems to have also improved the keyfeel of the stock switches, they feel much closer to Alps and feel more refined. It also seems to have lowered the pitch of the click somewhat.

What do you think I should do? (And please no elitist comments complaining that I am choosing to refit this board, thanks)

swampangel

10 Feb 2019, 20:36

My 6011 didn't seem to have very good KRO on WASD and adjacent keys, meaning it isn't much use for gaming -- is the 6311 much different in that respect?

abrahamstechnology

10 Feb 2019, 21:11

I am not sure, I haven't even powered it up yet since it was liquid damaged and pretty badly rusted.

Did you use it over native AT/PS/2 or a converter?

Muirium
µ

10 Feb 2019, 21:15

For what it's worth, my Acer 6312 has awful rollover. Can't even reliably chord the mods and arrows. Very far indeed from an NKRO board. It's actually a worse performer in regular use than a 2KRO Model M. At least those had well designed membranes. From the time before WASD were as vital as arrow keys…

I really doubt any Acer switch keyboard would have acceptable rollover for gaming. I bet they're all 2KRO.

So, if you like it yourself, fix it on up whichever way you want it. But forget any ideas about selling it to any self respecting gamer!

swampangel

10 Feb 2019, 22:17

abrahamstechnology wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 21:11
Did you use it over native AT/PS/2 or a converter?
3 ways, over a cheap PS/2-usb adapter, a more reliable trendnet adapter, and over PS/2, because at that point I was sort of rotating through my new boards and kept wanting to free up the adapters.

I would imagine the 6311's matrix layout is a little different, but you should see what it can/can't do.

andrewjoy

11 Feb 2019, 12:20

I would give it a little test, have had an acer in the past and did not notice any roll-over problems.

Acer switch are fine , dont let anyone else tell you otherwise!

Chyros

11 Feb 2019, 13:11

I've always liked Acer switches. They're not without their flaws, no, but they certainly do have their strengths, too, and they're a pretty unique design in many ways.

I've tried linearising them once, but tbh I didn't like the result all that much. The spring bending and the hammer pushing on the membrane comes forward a bit much in the keyfeel after doing that. I much prefer linearising Alps instead.

Return to “Keyboards”