SKCM Alps Orange: Pinging After Cleaning Help

VelonicV

11 Feb 2019, 12:46

Recently, I built an Alps64 board with a wooden case, Orange Alps, and AEK keycaps, so a pretty bog-standard build, but I love it to bits.

As such, while the switches felt pretty good in the condition they were in, I did notice a bit of dust upon opening one up. So, out of fear of damage occurring to switches over time due to the dust (and to make the switches feel more consistent), I decided to open each one up and clean them with a dust cleaner per Chyros's video.

They definitely feel more consistent now, but for some reason they now have a mild ping, which is a bit annoying (I really liked the unadultered THOCC the switches made beforehand).

As such, does anyone know of a good remedy for this issue, by any chance? Would lubing the springs help in this case?

Any help is appreciated!

Myoth

11 Feb 2019, 13:06

lubing the springs is the best solution to remove the ping

VelonicV

11 Feb 2019, 13:22

Myoth wrote:
Fantastic, thanks mate! I'll try it out and see how it goes.

SpacemanToby

12 Feb 2019, 22:20

Have any pictures of the board?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

12 Feb 2019, 22:34

VelonicV wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 12:46
Would lubing the springs help in this case?
Yes, unless something is broken.

abrahamstechnology

13 Feb 2019, 20:56

Why all the hatred for ping?

samuelcable

13 Feb 2019, 21:12

abrahamstechnology wrote:
Because it sounds bad. Just like how AK-CN2 switches sound bad

Myoth

13 Feb 2019, 21:46

Subjectivity

Chyros

13 Feb 2019, 22:07

It's very subjective. For example, a rather loyal viewer of mine frequently makes comments on videos, especially those of very pingy boards, and he often gets frustrated he can't make any of his boards sound as piny as mine appear to do; he seems to be in pursuit of history's pingiest board. Some other viewers, in contrast, can't stand it.

Muirium
µ

13 Feb 2019, 22:11

Chyros wrote:
he seems to be in pursuit of history's pingiest board.
Correct answer: Apple M0110 original Macintosh keyboard. The ping emperor.

zrrion

13 Feb 2019, 22:12

Tell him to make a thread about his ping research if he has a breakthrough, I would also like an answer to the riddle of ping.

swampangel

13 Feb 2019, 22:23

Muirium wrote:
Seconded. The pingmaster is one thing, but the M0110's ping sounds like it might escape and start haunting the place.

Muirium
µ

13 Feb 2019, 22:26

Indeed. I’d love to love that board, but the sound is howling! There’s something very almost demonic about it. Like a banshee.
zrrion wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 22:12
Tell him to make a thread about his ping research if he has a breakthrough, I would also like an answer to the riddle of ping.
The riddle of its origin / how to quell it, or the riddle of why some people dare to actually like it?

I’m in the less is more group, obviously. I like a good sharp click, but a reverberating ring is not my thing. I’ll put up with it for Model F but it really ticks me off in linears.

keyboard Kultist

13 Feb 2019, 22:46

I mainly like clicky keyboards, but pingy ones have grown on me. It's almost like a musical
instrument....with the added benefit that it annoys others >:)

Maybe I'll break out the M0110, though the cable for the ping master should be here any time.
What fun this all is :-)

Chyros

13 Feb 2019, 23:34

Muirium wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Yeah, that's what I told him too xD .

Wazrach

13 Feb 2019, 23:47

Chyros wrote:
It's very subjective. For example, a rather loyal viewer of mine frequently makes comments on videos, especially those of very pingy boards, and he often gets frustrated he can't make any of his boards sound as piny as mine appear to do; he seems to be in pursuit of history's pingiest board. Some other viewers, in contrast, can't stand it.
This really made me chuckle.

digital_matthew

14 Feb 2019, 02:53

Muirium wrote:
Chyros wrote:
I had a roommate in college that would use that board when I tried to sleep. I wanted to feed it to him.

Chyros

14 Feb 2019, 07:51

Wazrach wrote:
Chyros wrote:
You heard it mate, gotta get that M0110! ;)

Wazrach

14 Feb 2019, 19:34

Chyros wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 07:51
Wazrach wrote:
Chyros wrote:
You heard it mate, gotta get that M0110! ;)
I would, but it's not really worth the effort. They're not really available for the best prices and you need an expensive converter. Plus, I prefer the tone of the Pingmaster. I think maybe when I am minted and looking for the next keyboard fix, I will consider it. :D

VelonicV

18 Feb 2019, 11:08

Myoth wrote:
Finally got around to lubing the springs and now the thing sounds like a beast! Thanks for the help!

Sadly, I overdid the retr0bright process (didn't even know that was possible honestly, based off what I read) and the spacebar now looks like a ghost compared to the other keys lol

Looking for a replacement now, but they're pretty hard to find in good condition. Maybe I'll just paint it a different color and see how that goes, give the board a bit more flair.

Anyway, gonna do the same spring lubing process with my new SMK 2nd gen board (since the switches are pretty easy to open once desoldered) and see how that goes as well.

Thanks again!

Chyros

18 Feb 2019, 11:28

SMKs are easy to open, but fuck me, good luck trying to reassemble them xD . Are you sure it's worth it? :p

ZedTheMan

18 Feb 2019, 17:48

VelonicV wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 11:08
Myoth wrote:
Finally got around to lubing the springs and now the thing sounds like a beast! Thanks for the help!

Sadly, I overdid the retr0bright process (didn't even know that was possible honestly, based off what I read) and the spacebar now looks like a ghost compared to the other keys lol

Looking for a replacement now, but they're pretty hard to find in good condition. Maybe I'll just paint it a different color and see how that goes, give the board a bit more flair.

Anyway, gonna do the same spring lubing process with my new SMK 2nd gen board (since the switches are pretty easy to open once desoldered) and see how that goes as well.

Thanks again!
Just give it some time and it will return to a color more desirable, or even more yellow than the rest once again. This has happened to all of my retr0brighted spacebars. Especially with Apple stuff. I mean, it might not work, but maybe it will!

Hypersphere

18 Feb 2019, 19:39

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Feb 2019, 20:53

Hypersphere wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 19:39
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping!
;)

Hypersphere

19 Feb 2019, 22:31

(doo wah, doo wah, doo wah, doo wah
Doo wah, doo wah, doo wah, doo wah).

Return to “Keyboards”