IBM Model F AT rusty plate common?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

12 Feb 2019, 20:50

I took out a couple of my IBM Model F ATs and they both have rusty/pitted metal plates under the key caps. I sent one as a Secret Santa to a member and I remember he was appalled by the condition of the plate which threw me off because I assumed it was like a model M with a plastic plate. In the end he refinished it and it came out great but can anyone definitively say this normal? I have pitted rusty plates on three of three.
Spoiler:
IMG_4474.JPG
IMG_4474.JPG (1.86 MiB) Viewed 4708 times

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

12 Feb 2019, 20:52

What do you mean "normal"? The rust? Depends on how and where it was "stored"´, we all know that it's pretty old. ;)

snuci
Vintage computer guy

12 Feb 2019, 20:58

They were not stored in any damp location as long as I have had them but I did not buy either of them new. I guess I'm wondering if a pristine plate is normal or if a pitted, rusty one is common or uncommon.

seebart

12 Feb 2019, 21:03

snuci wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 20:58
They were not stored in any damp location as long as I have had them but I did not buy either of them new. I guess I'm wondering if a pristine plate is normal or if a pitted, rusty one is common or uncommon.
Both, although I have never seen a pitted one in real life.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

12 Feb 2019, 21:05

seebart wrote:
I guess it's not really pitted. It's just that the pain has flaked off.

seebart

12 Feb 2019, 21:07

snuci wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 21:05
seebart wrote:
I guess it's not really pitted. It's just that the pain has flaked off.
Normal for that age, most are obviously not in really good condition.

JP!

12 Feb 2019, 21:21

That one pictured is worse than average but this is more a Model F problem than an AT problem specifically. I had an XT that was close to that but it was stored in a basement for 20+ years and likely got slightly wet. They all usually have some sort of surface corrosion though unless stored in a low humidity environment.

seebart

12 Feb 2019, 21:38

JP! wrote:
That one pictured is worse than average but this is more a Model F problem than an AT problem specifically. I had an XT that was close to that but it was stored in a basement for 20+ years and likely got slightly wet. They all usually have some sort of surface corrosion though unless stored in a low humidity environment.
Right.I got lucky with all my Model F's but I have seen plenty corrosion.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

12 Feb 2019, 21:40

JP! wrote:
They all usually have some sort of surface corrosion though unless stored in a low humidity environment.
This is my other which I believe is normal.
IMG_4475.JPG
IMG_4475.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 4637 times

seebart

12 Feb 2019, 21:48

snuci wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 21:40
JP! wrote:
They all usually have some sort of surface corrosion though unless stored in a low humidity environment.
This is my other which I believe is normal.
Right, most obviously won't look "new". Looks fine.

fohat
Elder Messenger

13 Feb 2019, 04:02

Based on 2-3 dozen Model Fs that have passed through my hands, I would describe those as "average-to-somewhat-better-than-average"

Wingklip

13 Feb 2019, 05:30

Try this: buy a liter bottle of superglue from aliexpress and some cheap canned spray paint. Sand off all the old paint then cover it with a coat of whatever color, then after that use a silicone brush/spatula to spread superglue in thin coats across the surface. I've done it on a 3d printer's glass plate, so it should theoretically work with a plate of metal that size. This should rust proof the plate for the next half century, at least, until someone scratches it.

Return to “Keyboards”