KBParadise V80 review (Matias Quiet Click)

Chyros

09 Feb 2019, 11:08

Today we're looking at a frequent request; the KBP V80 with Matias Quiet Click. Hope you enjoy the video! :)

squizzler

10 Feb 2019, 11:00

This is my 'board! I think it fair review. Particularly the spacebar which I had been apparent even to myself, not until recently a connoisseur of keyboards. This product has taught me both the joys and frustrations of going with a "mechanical" board! I'd be interested to know whether others on here have addressed this problem.

I would be keen to know why the Matias switches seem so poor in this application - even mine has problems. Periodically unplugging it and vigorously kneading the keys about seems to keep it manageable, but still less than ideal. Presumably the switches destined for KBParadise don't go via Matias in Canada, so might there be temptation for the factory that makes them to cut corners?

Muirium
µ

10 Feb 2019, 13:08

Sadly, Matias switches failing is the rule, not the exception these days. Here’s a couple of recent threads with extensive discussion:

viewtopic.php?p=427979#p427979
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20461

Matias is a good firm, with a history of caring for the keyboard community, so it’s a real pity their quality control has gone to total shit lately. They really shouldn’t be shipping such awful switches, but they are.

You’re right that it’ll be their partner’s factory that’s actually to blame, but these failing switches are showing up far too often in Matias keyboards too now.

Hypersphere

10 Feb 2019, 14:56

Apparently the quality control issues with Matias switches has been a relatively recent problem. I have several KBP V60 keyboards with Matias Click or Matias Quiet switches, and they all work as intended. However, I bought these keyboards several years ago. More's the pity that their switches have been failing in various ways of late, because I find the switches great fun to type on. It is true that they lack the refinement of the complicated Alps switches of yesteryear, but they provide an interesting contemporary alternative to Cherry mx switches.

squizzler

15 Feb 2019, 09:10

Have you tried cleaning/degreasing the switches, and with any success? I'm going to get myself a key puller shortly to do just that.

kuvisit

27 Feb 2019, 11:01

You've compared Matias Quiet Clicks with Alps Damped Creams, but in different boards. Would you consider putting them side by side in the same chassis on the same row (let's say AEKII's QWERTY row, as it is closest to the plate's center) and comparing the sound then? I don't think the V80 did justice to Matias and I've been considering replacing switches in one of my boards for a long time now.

Elrick

08 Mar 2019, 10:14

Hypersphere wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 14:56
Apparently the quality control issues with Matias switches has been a relatively recent problem. I have several KBP V60 keyboards with Matias Click or Matias Quiet switches, and they all work as intended.
Probably Matias changed manufacturers because he obviously got a very low bid from a competitor, that offered to build his switches hence now we all face these discrepancy issues with his current products, sporting these latest monstrosities.

Common in China for manufacturers to make illicit contact with companies, claiming they can offer a cost cutting result to appeal to their particular interest, in increasing profits for them.

Nothing illegal but in the end, it's us who get screwed by their deplorable outcome.

cli

19 Mar 2019, 17:44

Chyros wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 11:08
Today we're looking at a frequent request; the KBP V80 with Matias Quiet Click. Hope you enjoy the video! :)
Would like to put some complicated Alps in it.. Maybe we should do a groups buy and ask KBParadise for only the board and keycaps ... forget the Matias switches.

Return to “Reviews”