What's Wrong with a Thrift Shop?

cineraphael

19 Feb 2019, 16:34

Reason I say that because, Thrift Store like Goodwill and Saver's Never seem to have 80s and Early 90s Computer Keyboard. I heard that some people say that they throw away the Vintage Keyboard that doesn't have PS/2 or USB connector.

Most keyboard in Thrift Store are at most 5 to 10 years old and they are rubberdome. Not even Dome with Slider.

SpacemanToby

19 Feb 2019, 16:43

My area has a store called The Grid, which is like a gamestop but owned by goodwill. Every goodwill around me sends all their computer/video game stuff to The Grid, but since they want to brand themselves like a gamestop, they won't sell any keyboards older than usb. All the older stuff just gets recycled. Drives me crazy.

cineraphael

19 Feb 2019, 16:46

Chyrosran22 live in the best city for a Vintage Keyboard though. I understand that because he lived in Netherlands. while in the US, it's so difficult to find a Vintage Keyboard like Northgate Omnikey.

Myoth

19 Feb 2019, 16:51

cineraphael wrote:
Chyrosran22 live in the best city for a Vintage Keyboard though. I understand that because he lived in Netherlands. while in the US, it's so difficult to find a Vintage Keyboard like Northgate Omnikey.
No. Omnikey reign suprême in the US, you won't find any in Europe.

cineraphael

19 Feb 2019, 16:54

That true, but I lived in the US and I still cannot find any Northgate Omnikey. If I do then I would keep it until I die.
In other hand, Cherry G80-1000 is so rare in the US!

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

19 Feb 2019, 16:55

cineraphael wrote:
Go to eBay and search "northgate" - there are usually a bunch on there. I've scored a few deals on northgate omnikeys over the years. Just gotta be vigilant and patient when it comes to eBay.

Bass

19 Feb 2019, 17:04

As far as Chyros is concerned I am pretty sure most of his finds were from a recycling center while he was living in the UK rather than a thrift store. I'd say it has little to do with what country you are in since plenty of decent thrift store finds have been documented in the community, but really I do think we also tend to overhype them a bit. A thrift store is much more accessible than a recycling center or other type of electronics graveyard to the public, but as a result good stuff is much less likely to turn up since anything that does is likely going to be sold more quickly. You also have to consider that back in the day computers were more expensive when accounting for inflation which means fewer households had them, which in turn means you are less likely to find a vintage keyboard at a thrift shop since those that could afford them (mainly big business) would probably dispose of their old equipment through a professional recycler or surplus parts distributor first. On top of that, searching thrift stores can be kind of a pain in urban areas in particular since there can easily be a dozen of them or two for you to search within driving distance from you.

samuelcable

19 Feb 2019, 17:11

cineraphael wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 16:54
That true, but I lived in the US and I still cannot find any Northgate Omnikey. If I do then I would keep it until I die.
In other hand, Cherry G80-1000 is so rare in the US!
I wish it were the other way around... I want more cherry stuff but being in America sucks for cherry stuff compared to Alps

twasa

19 Feb 2019, 18:37

I always thought that being in Africa sucked for finding any mechanical keyboards. We have a charity shop walking distance from home, where I found two model M's in a week, as well as some white Alps boards. They sold for next to nothing, so perhaps I should be more optimistic that I'll find a blue Alps board some day or an IBM AT.

Findecanor

19 Feb 2019, 18:45

I have also seen thrift stores change. I once made a whole lot of good finds in one store many times several years ago. Went there a couple of weeks ago: absolutely nothing. Not even a modern keyboard.

Muirium
µ

19 Feb 2019, 21:09

Charity Shops, as we call them here, are utterly useless for computing stuff. Many don’t accept “electricals” at all. Their focus is on clothing, media and furniture. Been a while since I even noticed a mechanical typewriter in any of them! These stores are ubiquitous in this part of the world, cropping up like weeds especially since 2008 (I assume charities can run storefronts more cost effectively than small profit seeking businesses), but they know their market: it ain’t us.

I’ve had more luck with Freecycle. Got my SE/30 that way, but never a mech keyboard. That all came through here, and tips on eBay.

Hypersphere

20 Feb 2019, 01:10

//gainsborough wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 16:55
cineraphael wrote:
Go to eBay and search "northgate" - there are usually a bunch on there. I've scored a few deals on northgate omnikeys over the years. Just gotta be vigilant and patient when it comes to eBay.
I agree! I got into Northgates when a fellow DT member spotted an Omnikey 101 US ANSI layout on eBay for a rather low price and urged someone to buy it. The board was rarther dirty, but I restored it and it turned out rather well. After that, I have just been patient, looking for Northgate postings. One of the best was one that had been treated with great care and stored in its original box with a keyboard cover, manual and extra keycaps -- and the price was reasonable. I also got a Gold Label with blue Alps from "Northgate Bob", who runs a keyboard repair shop and online store.

Polecat

20 Feb 2019, 06:17

I've bought maybe half a dozen vintage keyboards at local thrift stores and recycling places in the last ten years. But most of mine were rescued in the '90s when I worked at a recycling shop. Anyone who expects to find gold just laying on the ground for the picking will probably be disappointed. Like anything else the key to finding the good stuff is persistence. One trip to one thrift store will almost certainly be a bust, but if you go out and look every weekend you're much more likely to find something good. Flea markets, swap meets (colleges, Ham radio, etc), and garage sales are more possibilities.

Wingklip

20 Feb 2019, 10:27

Hard Off is a bit hit or miss, I guess they never miss ya

I bet your waxz46e7r8ct9vuhyib jm,
Last edited by Wingklip on 28 Feb 2019, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

20 Feb 2019, 13:19

Wingklip wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 10:27
Hard Off us a bit hit or miss, I guess they never miss ya

I bet your waxz46e7r8ct9vuhyib jm,
Is your AI needing reset, already?

PlacaFromHell

20 Feb 2019, 19:56

I got all my stuff in local selling sites with no international reachment. It's pretty easy and you can get ridiculously good prices, but you can expend much time waiting for an especific keyboard.

cli

22 Feb 2019, 11:57

cineraphael wrote:

:D I wouldn't call Netherlands a Vintage Keyboard walhalla. I think Dutch people are just not willing to pay the crazy prices for vintage keyboards you see on Ebay. Still, it takes lot's of patience and waiting but in the end I got a Tulip Monterey keyboard in very nice condition, paid 30 euro.

Return to “Keyboards”