What made laptop manufacturer think it okay to use a chiclet key!

cineraphael

27 Feb 2019, 17:39

Look at this for example

2005 Laptop with NMB Keyboard look like this!

This is my 2005 IBM Thinkpad T43 By the way! I find this as a best typing laptop in the world.

Brand Laptop Keyboard Look like this

Chiclet key are not necessary bad but they won't be as good as a classic style laptop keyboard!

Why chiclet are so bad?

The first problem with chiclet key is that they tries to devolutionize the way we type, for example the travel distance is so short that I can make some mistake when I'm typing. It is great for gamer but not great for typing at all! and don't get me started with Apple Butterfly keyboard, It is the most unrealiable and most uncomfortable chiclet keyboard I had ever use. I also have a school Chromebook Asus C202SA and they also have a Chiclets key and god it is god awful along with a HIDEOUS Lowercase blue font!

all of these Chiclets feel nothing like my 2005 IBM Thinkpad T43!

Funny Thing: I hate my Chromebook Keyboard so much that I brought my Matias Tactile Pro to school and annoy the hell out of my Teacher and My friend! I later, Bring my Lubed Apple A1048 and it more quiet and it still comfortable than my Chromebook Keyboard.

Chiclet also messed up the way Thinkpad (They also guilty of this )used to look like! Look at my 2005 IBM Thinkpad and look at a Brand New Lenovo thinkpad! Massive Difference! my old IBM Thinkpad type like a dome with a slider and they design it so good and ergonomic that made me feel that I am not typing on a Laptop. on a new Thinkpad in other hand it feel like their Lenovo Ideapad and It doesn't feel like what Thinkpad used to feel like!

Gaming Laptop also a Guilty of this Except Alienware, MSI GT83, and Clevo. While desktop gaming pc have a Cherry Mechanical Keyboard a most laptop gamer have to use a crappy chiclet keyboard for gaming which is not really comfortable for a long period of time except that it can react faster because of shorter travel distance.

A chiclet laptop with a mechanical switch are forgivable at this point!

Again, Classic Style Keyboard are the best and they should not fix what not broken! Anything more to mention then added to the comment!

pyrelink

27 Feb 2019, 18:51

Chiclet keyboards are both cheap and super thin compared to more tactile keyboard assemblies. Seeing as aesthetics, weight, and thickness seem to be what sells notebooks these days, chiclets it is.

That said, I may be crucified for this but I have had a 2016 MBP for 3 years and have really come to like the "butterfly" switches on it. I haven't had any issues with it, and its surprisingly satisfying to type on for extended periods at a time when far away from a desk and a fullsize keyboard.

Sup

27 Feb 2019, 19:02

If it makes the laptop thinner its a go.

samuelcable

27 Feb 2019, 19:08

Thinness is one of the most important factors of laptops. Boomers will disagree and use their heavy chunky laptops on their legs. But I feel like whatever makes a laptop thinner is the right step to go to. I don't enjoy chic keys but if the laptop is light and thin then I don't care about missing some switches that are only slightly better

cineraphael

27 Feb 2019, 19:25

samuelcable wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 19:08
Thinness is one of the most important factors of laptops. Boomers will disagree and use their heavy chunky laptops on their legs. But I feel like whatever makes a laptop thinner is the right step to go to. I don't enjoy chic keys but if the laptop is light and thin then I don't care about missing some switches that are only slightly better
To me, I don't really care about thinness, I care about durability and comfortability. I also have to say that my IBM Thinkpad T43 are not that heavy at all.

Return to “Keyboards”